• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Floppin

Today in racism doesn't really exist

The videos, Syverud said in a letter to the campus, includes "words and behaviors that are extremely racist, anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist, and hostile to people with disabilities

Covered all the bases...

Dude we are not racist...we are just woke and doing satire!

--

“This event was never intended to be centered around racism or hate. This year, one of these brothers is a conservative Republican, and the new members roasted him by playing the part of a racist conservative character,” the statement said.

it was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person." Theta Tau admitted that the language is "disgraceful," and "it made the active brothers very uncomfortable."

“We would like to believe that the new members seen in the video laughing at the horrible things being said were not laughing in concurrence with these beliefs, but in fact the opposite — that racism, sexism and homophobia are so wrong that they are laughable,” the statement said. “None of the satire was said or done in malice.”

"Our organization would never demand, or even ask our new members to recite any of this," the statement read. "We spoke to the new members about their actual beliefs shortly after their parody and we all agreed that those words should never be spoken — in our house, or anywhere."

--

I don that persona all the time in satyrical jest. I think that is a valid thing - to point out the idiocy of a certain stance/take/way by taking it to the extreme. These guys don't really look like they are doing that; they just look really stupid. Either way, you do stupid things and you have to deal with the consequences.

Color me shocked that we see stupid things coming from a guy that willingly gets down on his knees to take the beer-can-dick of another guy. "Bro you should totally make him really suck your dick while we all watch and jerkoff.. as a prank. Just as a prank though."

23 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

Dude we are not racist...we are just woke and doing satire!

--

“This event was never intended to be centered around racism or hate. This year, one of these brothers is a conservative Republican, and the new members roasted him by playing the part of a racist conservative character,” the statement said.

it was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person." Theta Tau admitted that the language is "disgraceful," and "it made the active brothers very uncomfortable."

“We would like to believe that the new members seen in the video laughing at the horrible things being said were not laughing in concurrence with these beliefs, but in fact the opposite — that racism, sexism and homophobia are so wrong that they are laughable,” the statement said. “None of the satire was said or done in malice.”

"Our organization would never demand, or even ask our new members to recite any of this," the statement read. "We spoke to the new members about their actual beliefs shortly after their parody and we all agreed that those words should never be spoken — in our house, or anywhere."

--

What can you say? They sure gave it a good college try to worm their way out of it.

All of them do stupid poo like this. These guys were just dumb enough to tape it and post it to the Internet. Future leaders of America, ya'll!

Once again, I am forever thankful I didn't grow up in a world where people could film and upload every moment....

I mean maybe those kids are all racist as fug....maybe their explanation is actually 100% true.  But they are gonna be judged on what the video shows. 

Big picture kids growing up today are less racist than the generations before them.   

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

Once again, I am forever thankful I didn't grow up in a world where people could film and upload every moment....

I mean maybe those kids are all racist as fug....maybe their explanation is actually 100% true.  But they are gonna be judged on what the video shows. 

Big picture kids growing up today are less racist than the generations before them.   

Honestly, I have very mixed feelings about it. It does help catch a lot of very bad situations, and introduces them to our collect conscious, as well as good situations. 

But, I truly feel it inhibits many of us out there. Take the people on that airplane, they were more concerned about getting on social media to contact people than making sure they aided in their own survival. 

Take those teens that watch that guy drown and laughed. Yes, it helped in the end but maybe if they weren’t so obsessed with recording it and making fun of him, one of them would have had the balls to go save him. 

Take that live stream where the guy got shot in the head, obviously a peer pressure situation. 

Take all those live stream suicides. Perhaps without public interference from internet trolls they wouldn’t have happened. 

Personally, I was traveling in NYC and a old guy fell flat as a board on an escalator going up. Only one person besides myself didn’t stand shocked or started pulling out there phone. 

My point, people need to put situational awareness, self awareness and the ability to react first, before they constantly jump to record, talk about, tweet, or anything on a social media web. Once they learn to put it second, this world will be a much better place. 

And I’m a film, photography journalist by trade.

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

Honestly, I have very mixed feelings about it. It does help catch a lot of very bad situations, and introduces them to our collect conscious, as well as good situations. 

But, I truly feel it inhibits many of us out there. Take the people on that airplane, they were more concerned about getting on social media to contact people than making sure they aided in their own survival. 

Take those teens that watch that guy drown and laughed. Yes, it helped in the end but maybe if they weren’t so obsessed with recording it and making fun of him, one of them would have had the balls to go save him. 

Take that live stream where the guy got shot in the head, obviously a peer pressure situation. 

Take all those live stream suicides. Perhaps without public interference from internet trolls they wouldn’t have happened. 

Personally, I was traveling in NYC and a old guy fell flat as a board on an escalator going up. Only one person besides myself didn’t stand shocked or started pulling out there phone. 

My point, people need to put situational awareness, self awareness and the ability to react first, before they constantly jump to record, talk about, tweet, or anything on a social media web. Once they learn to put it second, this world will be a much better place. 

And I’m a film, photography journalist by trade.

predicting tech jumps and impact is so hard because we frankly can predict that stuff. 

I would hope as tech continues to jump and improve.  Our entire fixation with the smart phone evolves.  

I often catch my wife and tell her to put the dang phone away and just enjoy the moment when we are with our kids.  Not that she is doing stuff on the phone that distract her from the kids but she wants to literally take a picture or tape EVERYTHING.  Always asking them to pose when they are doing things.  I'm like,  just chill.  It is more important to enjoy the moments than feeling the need to document them.   

1 hour ago, donttreadonme said:

Not sure who ever said racism didn't exist...

A few years back people on Fox and right here on this board made the argument that it was pretty much dead. “Hey, we had a black president” they said. Welp.

racism is definitely not dead, but to take isolated incidents like these and make a generalization for an entire demographic or political party affiliation is exactly why this country is currently so divided. 

I agree with CRA. I think with technology and the ability to record every moment at the tip of our fingers, in addition to social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook where news spreads like wildfire, it's no surprise we're seeing more and more of these incidents surface to the table now than 20-30 years ago. 

but we're a nation more diverse now than ever before, and I can guarantee you there is far less racism today. Now if we can maybe get the MSM to stop glorifying these isolated incidents and giving a platform for these racist kids to be heard, we wouldn't have the perception that racism is so widespread. The media is largely to blame for making non stories into stories, or covering one side of the story and not the other, usually for some sort of political agenda or monetary gain.  If they can eliminate the bias in their news and instead start giving us the news from a completely objective viewpoint, we'd be in a much better place today. 

SO this was posted privately and e cat thinks it going public via the media is the problem.  

3 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

SO this was posted privately and e cat thinks it going public via the media is the problem.  

loll privately? The story was covered on almost every news station, NBC, ABC, CBS, NY times, washington post, plus it's been shared on social media numerous times and there's 10's of hundreds of videos on youtube with thousands of views already. 

the fact that you think otherwise is the bigger problem.