• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tiger7_88

Its going to be a cornerback

Which cornerback?  Dunno.

But let me explain my intoxicated logic.

This year is an audition for the new owner by both Rivera and Hurney.  There is not a chance in hell/hades/heck that they are planning to make a pick for "the future".  Thus, instant impact is a MUST.

DE and WRs are positions that rarely make instant impacts.  Instant impact is required for the audition.  So DE and WR are out.

QBs are 50/50 (or even less) on instant impact, but we don't need a QB and a QB picked at 24 would be a high risk anyway.  QB is way, way out.

LBs can make instant impacts, but the most we need at LB right now is depth, so LB is out.

So that leaves OL, DT, S, or CB.

With the signing of Dontari Poe, Carolina is comfortable now with quality DT depth with KK, Poe, Butler, and Love.  DT is out.

Baby Kalil is still eating salary and space on the Panther's roster, so he ain't going nowhere for at least another year.  Williams holds down the other side, so OT is out.

OG is a critical need.  But 1st round?  The likelihood of that is very low.  Though I'd be thrilled to pick Wynn or Hernandez, I think the "instant impact" factor rules them out.

I'm not real convinced that, after Fitzpatrick and James, there's a safety left worth a 1st round pick.  Now picking a safety could definitely make an "instant impact".  But is a reach into the 2nd/3rd round for a needed S worth it?  I'm saying no, because...

Cornerback.  Great quality at the top of the available players at this position.  CB is a natural, instinctual position that can come in and contribute immediately if your scouts identify the player with the athleticism and skills to play the position as required in your particular defense. 

Picking a CB on the bottom half of the 1st round will bring not only great value to the pick, but also a player who can make an "instant impact".

The highest CB on the Rivera/Hurney board will be the pick.

Now, everybody who read this needs to do a shot of your choice.  Cheers.

I've warmed up a ton to the idea of CB at 24. If there's one that's BPA and there are no unexpected falls like a Ridley or Davenport/Landry or James then great and let's nab us a CB. 

I think it's highly likely simply due to this draft class. There are several CBs who could potentially fit the bill at #24. Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes, Jaire Alexander, and Carlton Davis all come to mind. That's four CBs who we could potentially draft there and all have a decent to maybe even good chance of being available.

At WR, I think there's only two guys draftable at #24 and they are Calvin Ridley and DJ Moore. Given team needs above us, I don't see 23 picks being made and those guys not being taken. If one of them is there, pick him. I just don't think it's likely that one will be there. The wildcard here is Christian Kirk. There's been talk that we really like him. Do we like him enough to take him at #24? If not, do we like him enough to pass on the CBs and try to trade down and snag him a little later with one of the CBs as the backup plan?

Safety? I like Reid, but he's admittedly a bit of a reach at #24. I wouldn't be mad if he's the pick, I just doubt he will be due to our organization's value on the safety position. I think there would have to be a steal of a safety available for us to take one at #24 and the only guys who fit that bill are Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James. Both very well could go top 10.

TE? Eh... I just don't love any of this years TEs at #24 and Olsen just made a statement that he's thinking about playing 3-5 more years. Let's say Olsen plays 3 more years. Do we really want to spend yet another 1st round pick on a guy who's going to be in a reserve role for at least his first two seasons? Let's please stop that madness.

OG? We spent a 2nd round pick last year on Moton. It's time to put him out there on the field. 

DT? I'll fuging break something. We have Short who is one of the best three techniques in the NFL. We just signed a high level FA. We have another former 1st round pick still waiting for an opportunity. We absolutely do NOT need another 1st round DT.

DE? If Harold Landry is there, I'm picking. Period. I think he's the best pure pass rusher in this draft but he probably needs some grooming and weight room time to hold up against the run. That's fine. We have the luxury of basically being able to use him as a situational pass rusher this year and then he could take over as a starter next year after Peppers retires.

RB? We just spent the #8 overall pick on a RB. Enough said.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's highly likely simply due to this draft class. There are several CBs who could potentially fit the bill at #24. J

Stop pissing on my incredibly convoluted drunken supposition, dude.

Spoil sport.

;)

3 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

bamboozled

Is that anything like being intoxicated?

Playing the odds will certainly make you lean towards CB, that and a beer or 12.  Good thinking, intoxicated or not

The only position that would be really surprising to me is QB.  Other than that just get the bpa.   

Last year you have Corey Davis and Mike Williams, the 2 top WR, go in the top 10.

Are those guys more talented than Ridley and Moore.

If they were, they are not 20 picks better.

No way either WR falls to us.

I feel the CB that we need is coming as well

5 minutes ago, Panic said:

Last year you have Corey Davis and Mike Williams, the 2 top WR, go in the top 10.

Are those guys more talented than Ridley and Moore.

If they were, they are not 20 picks better.

No way either WR falls to us.

I feel the CB that we need is coming as well

I've heard and read just the opposite.  Ridley is a higher graded prospect than either of them were.

Am I the only one that’s just not interested at all in Mike Hughes at 24? 

Give me Jackson, Alexander or Oliver, but not Hughes. I think I might even prefer Donte Jackson to Hughes. 

Mand to the guy that said TE. There just isn’t a single TE worth a first round pick this year. If Gesicki didn’t play so much smaller than he actuallynis, then maybe he’d be worthy...but he isn’t. 

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it's highly likely simply due to this draft class. There are several CBs who could potentially fit the bill at #24. Josh Jackson, Mike Hughes, Jaire Alexander, and Carlton Davis all come to mind. That's four CBs who we could potentially draft there and all have a decent to maybe even good chance of being available.

At WR, I think there's only two guys draftable at #24 and they are Calvin Ridley and DJ Moore. Given team needs above us, I don't see 23 picks being made and those guys not being taken. If one of them is there, pick him. I just don't think it's likely that one will be there. The wildcard here is Christian Kirk. There's been talk that we really like him. Do we like him enough to take him at #24? If not, do we like him enough to pass on the CBs and try to trade down and snag him a little later with one of the CBs as the backup plan?

Safety? I like Reid, but he's admittedly a bit of a reach at #24. I wouldn't be mad if he's the pick, I just doubt he will be due to our organization's value on the safety position. I think there would have to be a steal of a safety available for us to take one at #24 and the only guys who fit that bill are Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James. Both very well could go top 10.

TE? Eh... I just don't love any of this years TEs at #24 and Olsen just made a statement that he's thinking about playing 3-5 more years. Let's say Olsen plays 3 more years. Do we really want to spend yet another 1st round pick on a guy who's going to be in a reserve role for at least his first two seasons? Let's please stop that madness.

OG? We spent a 2nd round pick last year on Moton. It's time to put him out there on the field. 

DT? I'll fuging break something. We have Short who is one of the best three techniques in the NFL. We just signed a high level FA. We have another former 1st round pick still waiting for an opportunity. We absolutely do NOT need another 1st round DT.

DE? If Harold Landry is there, I'm picking. Period. I think he's the best pure pass rusher in this draft but he probably needs some grooming and weight room time to hold up against the run. That's fine. We have the luxury of basically being able to use him as a situational pass rusher this year and then he could take over as a starter next year after Peppers retires.

RB? We just spent the #8 overall pick on a RB. Enough said.

Good stuff 

I agree we are going secondary with the #24 pick only if Ridley/Moore are off the board (which I think they will be).