• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

themikestrick

James Borrego Is The New Head Coach

I've been out of the loop a bit this season. Someone sell me on this please.

Not a fan of this. Left San Antonio after working for them for over 10 years only to not succeed or land a head coaching spot anywhere. Went back to San Antonio after the coaching staffs in New Orleans and Orlando flamed out.

Let's be honest, here.  This isn't a very desirable job.  We have to take what we can get and hope for the best.

33 minutes ago, rhyslloyd said:

Let's be honest, here.  This isn't a very desirable job.  We have to take what we can get and hope for the best.

I get what you're saying in terms of us being a small market and some of those factors that brings with it. But as far as coaching vacancies go, you could do a lot worse. We have talent. Plus look how long Clifford stuck around while consistently missing the playoffs in an historically awful eastern conference.

Here comes the rebuild.  Not saying I like it at all but Kemba is good as gone.

9 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I get what you're saying in terms of us being a small market and some of those factors that brings with it. But as far as coaching vacancies go, you could do a lot worse. We have talent. Plus look how long Clifford stuck around while consistently missing the playoffs in an historically awful eastern conference.

Valid points.  My main concern is MJ - a clueless owner who loves to meddle in operations and hasn't made winning a priority.  

Not thrilled.  Some others who interviewed had much more impressive resumes.  Hope we didn't settle or scare off the other candidates. 

They say he's a strong defensive minded coach. I could care less about that. This coach NEEDS to be adept with player development which Clifford was terrible at. Whether we trade Kemba or not, we will be cap tied for another season or two so in order for us to be competitive in the East, we have to develop and rely on our young assets. That's Monk, Bacon, Hernangomez and the 11th pick in this year's draft. If Borrego can develop those guys and the young assets that come after them, then the Hornets will begin to trend upwards in being successful. 

Not really sure how I feel about this move. I will trust Mitch and hope for the best. A defensive minded coach seems to be a clone of Clifford. Defense is not the most important part in the NBA, it is putting the ball in the basket. That is what kills us every year. We need to shoot better.

2 hours ago, Ornias said:

Will he play the rooks? That is all I want to know. 

There is no way he will play rookies less than Clifford. It can’t be done.

55 minutes ago, AppHeel said:

There is no way he will play rookies less than Clifford. It can’t be done.

When Donovan Mitchell went nuts for the Jazz, I just laughed at people that said we should've Drafted him. Why? So he can sit on the bench and be useless? LOL. 

As long as he brings the San Antonio ball movement with him, I'll be happy.  That alone should give us an additional 10 wins or so.  

If he brings in a good offensive coach as an assistant, I'll be fine with him being a defensive minded coach...I just want to see a well balanced team.  Ultimately, I think his success will hinge on what assistants he brings in.  Being as he is so young, he really needs some experienced coaches, preferably at least one with previous head coaching experience.  

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    cornholeboard

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts