• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER

Centrists Are the Most Hostile to Democracy

The warning signs are flashing red: Democracy is under threat. Across Europe and North America, candidates are more authoritarian, party systems are more volatile, and citizens are more hostile to the norms and institutions of liberal democracy.

These trends have prompted a major debate between those who view political discontent as economic, cultural or generational in origin. But all of these explanations share one basic assumption: The threat is coming from the political extremes.

On the right, ethno-nationalists and libertarians are accused of supporting fascist politics; on the left, campus radicals and the so-called antifa movement are accused of betraying liberal principles. Across the board, the assumption is that radical views go hand in hand with support for authoritarianism, while moderation suggests a more committed approach to the democratic process.

Is it true?

Maybe not. My research suggests that across Europe and North America, centrists are the least supportive of democracy, the least committed to its institutions and the most supportive of authoritarianism.

I examined the data from the most recent World Values Survey (2010 to 2014) and European Values Survey (2008), two of the most comprehensive studies of public opinion carried out in over 100 countries. The survey asks respondents to place themselves on a spectrum from far left to center to far right. I then plotted the proportion of each group’s support for key democratic institutions. (A copy of my working paper, with a more detailed analysis of the survey data, can be found here.)

Dd6iQtLV0AAMi4K.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/23/opinion/international-world/centrists-democracy.html

tldr according to this person's research centrists are:

1) the most skeptical of democracy

2) the least likely to support free and fair elections

3) the least likely to support civil rights protections

4) the most supportive of authoritarianism (outside of the far right)

this would explain why people who identify as centrists are so chummy with the right while absolutely fuging despising the left (commonly referred to as the pstall effect)

The I’m in the middle argument almost always is about preserving the status quo. 

Makes perfect sense centrists hate liberals who are moving society forward and are open to authoritarianism 

To interperet

An extreme liberal perspective:

1. if you are far right you are a nazi, racist piece of poo

2. if you are a centrist you are a threat to democracy.

If 1 and 2 are true, it means that if you don’t agree with me you suck.

Then there’s the extreme far right perspective:

1. if you are far left you are a liberal commie piece of poo

I am feeling enlightened.  

17 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

To interperet

An extreme liberal perspective:

1. if you are far right you are a nazi, racist piece of poo

Then there’s the extreme far right perspective:

1. if you are far left you are a liberal commie piece of poo

I am feeling enlightened.  

i have a feeling yours wont be the only hurt feelings itt

ok I will play along with the receding hairline baboon.

I'm a huge fan of Democracy.  Hence why my kids went to a Greek immersion school for 8 years and learned the Socratic method. 

All about free and fair elections.  Why would I  oppose otherwise?

Zero problems with protecting civil rights.  Again why would anyone oppose that?

Ongoing contrarian so the full blind allegiance to strict authority is total jackassery dumb.

i just read this article and was coming to post it. i'm withholding pie from the op out of resentment

Just now, rodeo said:

couldn't do it

why are you against free and fair elections?

I have heard leftists attack centrists for years. Coincidentally I’ve heard extreme right wingers do the same. Thus, I’m in no position to believe the op is bringing an honest concern to the table. It’s more likely (and in my opinion is) an attempt to shame centrists to his side.

sorry Velma, communism is a lie.

1 minute ago, Saha said:

I have heard leftists attack centrists for years. Coincidentally I’ve heard extreme right wingers do the same. Thus, I’m in no position to believe the op is bringing an honest concern to the table. It’s more likely (and in my opinion is) an attempt to shame centrists to his side.

sorry Velma, communism is a lie.

it's a study with exhaustive research and surveys. put your fingers in your ears all you want, doesn't change anything.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fOGwtRUF-y-98IcDs-3YYrtREl8GbaoH/view

I would also guess that centrists are the biggest threat because they are the least likely to participate in their democracy?

communism is for idiots who dont tip and sucker's who cant use a hammer.