Carolina Huddle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ja  Rhule

Game of Thrones - Season 8

9 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I agree, the military tactics over the past number of episodes have been questionable at best.  I know that Jamie has a good background in tactics, but man, everyone else on team North must have never read a book in their lives.

Jamie I'm sure cannot be trusted by Dany, but what they are doing is just dumb.

Most of the military tactics in this show have been bad.  Scouting and recon must be against the rules.  Tywin Lannister couldn't tell the difference between two thousand and twenty thousand men.  Stannis Baratheon, Jaime Lannister,  and Ramsay Bolton allowed large armies to approach them without any warning. 

But then if I was watching a show for military tactics, I would watch band of brothers.  :)

9 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Most of the military tactics in this show have been bad.  Scouting and recon must be against the rules.  Tywin Lannister couldn't tell the difference between two thousand and twenty thousand men.  Stannis Baratheon, Jaime Lannister,  and Ramsay Bolton allowed large armies to approach them without any warning. 

But then if I was watching a show for military tactics, I would watch band of brothers.  :)

Yeah MOST shows suck at tactics. This show is no exception. But I do find it curious that all of a sudden sound tactical decisions are required for a show to be good. The Hurt Locker won an Oscar and that movie was laughably inaccurate. I agree that bad tactics take you out of the moment because when something dramatic happens (dragon getting shot down) you immediately are saying wait what? How did that happen? How did they let that happen? That is bad writing. But again, when I start to criticize this show in my mind, before I get that upset I remember that basically 99% of shows absolutely suck at tactics and/or strategic decisions.

Questions about character arcs, decision making in line with character development, whether or not a dumpster is involved in saving a character...these things seem more relevant to criticize over the military decision making process. When all of the primaries were in Winterfell discussing their next move and Sansa suggested they rest and refit, Dany asked a solid question. How much time do you think they need? Sansa's answer was also good with a notable exception. She said that she wasn't sure and needed to ask the officers. Very good. Yes they can give you the truth and a realistic timeline. BUT I turned to my daughter right then and said, probably should've had one of those officers in the room when you're planning poo like this. That kind of strategic misstep is bad writing because not getting the answer from an officer of say 2 weeks or whatever he was gonna say allows Dany to blow off the suggestion of waiting because no actual expert in the room suggested it. Omitting the expert from the room allows the plot to go further with Dany charging ahead full steam without her contradicting an actual military expert on a military decision.

But most shows and most writing are terrible at this aspect and so I don't find it particularly grievous that this show is no different. A dragon needed to go down. Dany needs to be shown as rash and perhaps overconfident. New dragon weapon needs to be shown as effective. Ambush from the ocean while flying not far from King's Landing? Why not? Dany is on the verge of blowing a 3 dragon lead. :)

Have to say that I’m disappointed with how it went down with the Night King. Was really hoping there was a backstory there.

im also extremely pissed at how reckless and careless Dany is with her Dragons. Has she ever thought of putting armor on those bad boys? That would have solved a lot of problems for her. 

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

Have to say that I’m disappointed with how it went down with the Night King. Was really hoping there was a backstory there.

im also extremely pissed at how reckless and careless Dany is with her Dragons. Has she ever thought of putting armor on those bad boys? That would have solved a lot of problems for her. 

Any armor that would have stopped the injuries would also have weighed down the dragons to a point they either couldn't fly or would literally be sitting ducks.  I mean, we saw what they did to ships....and how quickly they could be reloaded...  Geez, I'm making a jump here aren't I?

Were I in Danny's shoes, I would have staged the battle for the iron throne from a position of power.  I would set up a 5 mile perimeter around King's Landing.  Then I would declare I was the true Queen of Westeros.  Then I would set up a new city around KL and cut them off from the land.  Then I would pick off the Greyjoy fleet as I could using other means.  Under no circumstances would I expose my Dragons for any reason that put them at risk unless it was absolutely necessary or the danger was minimized.  I would also set up exit highways from KL for the small folk to leave and rejoin the new Seven Kingdoms.  

Let Cersei rot in a castle in KL.  She would break at some point, probably fairly quickly.  Mow down her army as they rushed the perimeter and use my dragons there, well out of range of the crossbows.

Yeah, I've had too much time to think on this...

14 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I wish I could go back and watch that for the first time again. Such a fantastic show.

Disappointed with the Night Kind ending as well, 8yr build up for for that.... blah was fully expecting that story to last until the very end. 

The dragon getting ambushed from the sea didn't make a lot of sense to me, how could the ships not be seen from the sky? whats the f*cking range on those spears accurate AF as well i guess. At least the ice spear had the aura of magic around it, so that was acceptable at least to me, but the ships and spears yeah seemed forced. 

Real military history is fraught with bad generals and poor decision making too, I don't want to nit pick too much or the show will cease to be fun for me. 

36 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

Disappointed with the Night Kind ending as well, 8yr build up for for that.... blah was fully expecting that story to last until the very end. 

The dragon getting ambushed from the sea didn't make a lot of sense to me, how could the ships not be seen from the sky? whats the f*cking range on those spears accurate AF as well i guess. At least the ice spear had the aura of magic around it, so that was acceptable at least to me, but the ships and spears yeah seemed forced. 

Real military history is fraught with bad generals and poor decision making too, I don't want to nit pick too much or the show will cease to be fun for me. 

I mean. The Avengers did time travel. I thought that was lazy story telling. You’re right, just enjoy it for what it is. 

1 hour ago, Rubi said:

I mean. The Avengers did time travel. I thought that was lazy story telling. You’re right, just enjoy it for what it is. 

At least no one's mother is named Martha.

I'm doing a write up for my company's quarterly newsletter on why Game of Thrones is so popular. Below is a VERY rough draft. If you're interested I'd appreciate feedback.

You may have heard of HBO’s hit TV series Game of Thrones based on George R.R. Martin’s books series “A Song of Ice & Fire”. Since it’s premiere in 2011, Game of Thrones has received 132 Primetime Emmy nominations with 38 wins 2nd only to Saturday Night Live which has been on TV for almost 45 years. The accolades? Staggering. The cast? Spellbinding. Production value? Shocking. Chances are you’ve probably heard coworkers discussing dragons, epic battles or maybe they just came in on Monday morning noticeably despondent. But what makes this fantasied “political drama” so entertaining? What about it evokes such emotion and fanaticism in its viewers? What is the big deal behind this cultural phenomenon? Well, it’s all in the game.

Before Game of Thrones aired, fantasy dramas had been done but were still seen as a bit taboo or nerdy. Shows and movie franchises like Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter helped to shatter the stigma that fantasy is not to be taken seriously. Game of Thrones took everything people fell in love with about fantasy and tethered it to reality. When people ask me to describe Game of Thrones it proves difficult because of how many boxes it checks. At its heart, it’s an adult political drama set in a fictional “medieval” world that is as ruthless as it is enchanting. Think House of Cards meets Dungeons & Dragons. Throw in brilliant writing, enthralling characters, some sex, a little violence and you have the recipe for the most captivating show of the decade.

What I find most impressive about the world that George R.R. Martin & showrunners David Benioff/D. B. Weiss created is how complex it is. The intricacies go far past run of the mill fiction and you believe this world could or maybe did exist at some point and time throughout history. Throughout the day I’m sure we all find ourselves at our desks or in a hardhat occasionally stealing moments to daydream. Game of Thrones offers this form of escapism tenfold. You’ll be running over scenarios and theories in your head long after the credits have rolled sparking creativity and storytelling abilities you may have not known you had. Which leads me to another thing I love about Thrones…

The Throne’s community is fantastic. The first thing I do after an episode is head over to social media to see the reactions of my fellow fans. Twitter alone racked up over 5 million tweets pertaining to Game of Thrones immediately after the Season 8 premiere. This gives everyone the opportunity to share their thoughts and feelings from the past episode. I’ve struck up random conversations at coffee shops with strangers donning Game of Thrones apparel. I’ve hovered over the desk of coworkers eagerly waiting to exchange thoughts from last night’s episode. The viewer base is diverse and massive and appeals to all and being a part of that community makes you feel a part of something special.

The show features complex characters that are incredibly well written with Sorkinesque dialogue and sardonic humor. What often accompanies any political drama is the idea of morally grey characters. This isn’t a good versus evil show and no character is perfect. The same character that disgusts you in season 1 you may come to adore in later seasons and vice versa. As ridiculous as it sounds given the subject matter, these characters are remarkably relatable. That’s what draws us to certain characters and makes us root against others. The parallels between Game of Thrones and the real world are there for all to see. A character may commit a vile and unspeakable act, but you understand why they did it. You may even find yourself empathizing with a “villain”, a testament to the writing and performances and that is something powerful.

The themes presented in the series are many. However, the overarching ones are power, love and identity. We see betrayal to rival that of Shakespearean works. We see feminism with some of the strongest female characters to ever grace the not so small silver screen. At the height of the #MeToo movement and a time of great divisive and political turmoil in our country it’s no wonder this show is at the pinnacle of television royalty. The idea of power is possibly one of the oldest thematic plot devices in the history of storytelling. Characters fighting over a chair made of a thousand steel swords forged by dragon fire and all the lands that and titles that comes with it. We see characters fall in love amongst complete and utter chaos, bonds of brotherhood formed in times of war and alliances between once upon a time enemies. Noble families will do whatever it takes to see their legacies endure, remorseful outcasts will seek redemption even if it means their own deaths, lowborn and bastards with no titles will seek validation no matter the cost. There is everything and nothing to gain.

Now onto what Game of Thrones might be most infamous for, it’s unpredictability. Thrones does not shy away from shock value; in fact, it promotes it. You’ll fall in love with a character and find that character mercilessly taken from you at any given time. But these aren’t your typical expendable side characters that are pure cannon fodder. These are main characters being offed. Playing by the rules in the Game of Thrones only ensures you’ll have the odds stacked against you. Archetypes will be built up and then completely tore down before your eyes. We may happily cheer, throw our remotes or phones across the room, fall into a temporary spell of depression or even need to take a break from the show altogether. It’s an emotional rollercoaster that I daresay has never been executed to this level of perfection. However, in an age of growing indifference, many of us are happy to feel anything at all. Game of Thrones hits everything we secretly yearn for. The true and rightful monarch of television that will remain in our hearts long after the final credits roll.

6 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I believe one of the spin-offs will go into the NK and Stark origins.     I can't help but think some of the show's issues are because of banking on future spin-offs.   

20 hours ago, Dex said:

I'm doing a write up for my company's quarterly newsletter on why Game of Thrones is so popular. Below is a VERY rough draft. If you're interested I'd appreciate feedback.

That was a very enjoyable read man.  I believe you captured what makes the show so appealing

21 hours ago, Dex said:

You forgot to add the line:

"Despite the recent questionable writing decisions, Game of Thrones still ranks higher in popularity, and personal opinion, than former HBO hits like "The Wire" and "The Sopranos."

Other than that, good stuff! :)

4 minutes ago, Bronn said:

You forgot to add the line:

Other than that, good stuff! :)

Image result for the wire gif

On 5/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, Zaximus said:

I believe one of the spin-offs will go into the NK and Stark origins.     I can't help but think some of the show's issues are because of banking on future spin-offs.   

I literally called it at work after 3rd episode...  I said I bet they getting ready for spin-offs and leavings “wtf” moments so we can watch them.