• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

HornetsSting

Ok, so your best educated guess, what record gets us a new HC/GM next season?

I’m on the bandwagon of needing a completely new coaching staff and GM as I have literally 0 faith we will ever win a Lombardi with the current one. Under Rivera I see us being the Ravens and Bengals of the last few years.. In other words, always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Meaning, yes, technically we will be “good” under Rivera, much like the Bengals and Ravens for all intents and purposes are “good.” But they aren’t legit contenders. 

SO with that said, knowing what you know about Tepper so far, and the sense you get from him. What record do you think we would have to have for a shake up? My best guess, an 8-8 record is about 50/50 Rivera stays or goes. If I’m Tepper I see a 8-8 record and think to myself one simple thought- “So if he can’t get the job done with guys like TD, Peppers, Olsen and Kalil, all who are retiring next season, what on earth makes me think he can do better next year without them?”

My opinion? 7-9, 7-9 (or worse of course) is that sweet spot that all but seals Rivera’s fate. ESPECIALLY considering he already scape goated Shula and got a new OC, so Rivera has no excuses now.

• Poo 10

It's hard to say at this point.  Tepper doesn't strike me as a type of guy to play his hand too soon.  My guess is that his decision will not be based solely on the final record but more of how the teams philosophy and personnel fit into his vision for this franchise. 

Make no mistake thinking he hasn't been closely monitoring the inner workings of staff and coaches just because he's been hands off and mostly silent to the media.   

There will be changes regardless of record, how drastic may very well come down to whether he thinks that record was an indicator for the franchises success going forward.

Let's tank for...who? The grass may seem greener over there. But there is no guarantee you can ever get you grass to work that well.

But hellz bellz. Let's blow this mother up. 

I don't believe any record that is attainable, is enough to get Rivera fired. 

Hurney has done well, so his job is probably safe too. 

Edited by pantherclaw

Who are we gonna hire?  

Why would anyone take the job to replace the best coach in franchise history? 

Does this not sound EXACTLY like something Jerry Jones or Al Davis would do?

Tepper is a Steelers guy. The Steelers rarely fire coaches. If the common the common thought is Rivera is on the hot seat, this is truly becoming an echo chamber of nonsense. NOBODY. ON. THIS. BOARD. HAS. INSIDE. INFORMATION.  

2 hours ago, HornetsSting said:

I’m on the bandwagon of needing a completely new coaching staff and GM as I have literally 0 faith we will ever win a Lombardi with the current one. Under Rivera I see us being the Ravens and Bengals of the last few years.. In other words, always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Meaning, yes, technically we will be “good” under Rivera, much like the Bengals and Ravens for all intents and purposes are “good.” But they aren’t legit contenders. 

SO with that said, knowing what you know about Tepper so far, and the sense you get from him. What record do you think we would have to have for a shake up? My best guess, an 8-8 record is about 50/50 Rivera stays or goes. If I’m Tepper I see a 8-8 record and think to myself one simple thought- “So if he can’t get the job done with guys like TD, Peppers, Olsen and Kalil, all who are retiring next season, what on earth makes me think he can do better next year without them?”

My opinion? 7-9, 7-9 (or worse of course) is that sweet spot that all but seals Rivera’s fate. ESPECIALLY considering he already scape goated Shula and got a new OC, so Rivera has no excuses now.

31.jpg

13 minutes ago, ImfromClayton said:

Who are we gonna hire?  

Tepper is a Steelers guy. The Steelers rarely fire coaches. If the common the common thought is Rivera is on the hot seat, this is truly becoming an echo chamber of nonsense. NOBODY. ON. THIS. BOARD. HAS. INSIDE. INFORMATION.  

For the folks who say, get a good college coach. Very few have ever really made a splash in the NFL.

Or get one of those up and comers. That one sounds good. But lots of those guys have failed as well. For every Shanahan, there is a McDaniels. 

True there are plenty of options. The trick is getting the choice right. And there is no sure fire plan for doing so.

All said, we probably won't be searching any time soon. So this is all just a practice in futility.

Edited by iamhubby1

19 minutes ago, ImfromClayton said:

Who are we gonna hire?  

The Cowboys and Raiders aren't the only teams that fire head coaches.

Look, I get that some people don't want to move on from Rivera. I'm not firmly set that I want to either.

BUT...

This notion that there are no good candidates out there or that nobody would want to coach here if we fired Rivera is just off the mark. There are good head coaching candidates available every single year, and hanging on to a guy just because it's tough starting over is poor policy.

Plus you're telling me that nobody's going to want to come coach a team that has Newton and Kuechly? Please.

I don't believe you fire a guy unless you're absolutely certain that he's not good enough to win a championship. rebuilding is a difficult process, and it's one you don't start unless you're certain that the current guy is going nowhere.

But if you do believe a change is warranted, you can't be afraid to do it.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 5

24 minutes ago, ImfromClayton said:

Name every franchise that he won more games than us since Ron took over. 

Ok, so what gives you confidence that if we don’t go all the way this year, we will in coming years after core players like Olsen, Peppers, Kalil and TD retire next year? We need a Mcvay! I bet people were saying the same thing about Jeff a Fisher and the Rams before they fired him and hired Mcvay, now look at the Rams!

Edited by HornetsSting
  • Pie 1