• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Saca312

Ron Rivera on drafting Donte Jackson. Gives Marty credit for selling him on a different type of player than usual

May as well give Marty credit. He's learning from the past and bringing in new ideas to Rivera and staff. If it weren't for him, Donte wouldn't even be on his radar.

Edited by Saca312
  • Pie 4

The way I read the context there was that they set aside their usual desire to have big, physical corners in the Norman / Worley / Bradberry mold and draft a smaller, faster guy to actually play outside.  That makes sense to me.  I can't think of very many teams who have TWO big guys at WR.

Jackson has been a breath of fresh air tbh.

• Pie 5

4 minutes ago, YoungPanthers89 said:

Different as in good?

Speed instead of size

• Pie 2

lol Ron, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. All the teams in the division stacked their teams to specifically beat the Panthers. If you don't try something different then your team is going to start losing

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

lol Ron, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. All the teams in the division stacked their teams to specifically beat the Panthers. If you don't try something different then your team is going to start losing

Most of this board hated this pick and wanted Joshua Jackson and that kid from Colorado.

4 minutes ago, Rags said:

Most of this board hated this pick and wanted Joshua Jackson and that kid from Colorado.

I loved the pick. The Panthers have had the slowest corners in the NFL over the past decade. About time they grabbed someone who could actually run with these speedy receivers, especially in the division. Watching Ted Ginn burn the Panthers deep last year made me furious.

I loved the Jackson pick and still do. We needed some swag and attitude in that secondary.

• Pie 4

21 minutes ago, Rags said:

I wasn’t in love with the pick, but I was OK with it. I was more wanting a S and Gaulden was the pick I didn’t like (would have rather traded up for Reid using one of the two 2019 3rds or go with Harrison) along with Haynes (wanted the T from Oregon). Moore and Thomas were my favorites.

Also, I liked Jackson but was worried about his speed.

Edited by stbugs

21 minutes ago, Rags said:

Speak for yourself. I was one of the first to say the kid would be good. 

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Yeah, I don’t exactly read that quote as a good thing. When he says we targeted a different player for the first time, that makes me realize how many times we may have passed up a better player that didn’t fit our scheme.

Glad we got Jackson but I’d hate to see what we passed up since Ron became coach. Unfortunately Marty got bad at drafted a couple seasons before Ron came onboard so we can’t just blame Ron. :)

• Pie 1

Wow your title is very misleading. Rivera was targeting a different type of player and was nervous that he wouldn't fall to us, not nervous about drafting Jackson.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

I really wanted Jessie Bates but he went the pick before us was happy that we went with a true speed guy. We have been way too slow on both sides of the ball for too long.