• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

MillionDollarCam

2018-19 North Carolina Tar Heels

I don't know if anyone caught the exhibition game against Mount Olive tonight, but the Heels looked better than I thought they would and came away with a 107-64 win.

Around the NCAA, teams like Kentucky and Kansas aren't necessarily "blowing out" the DII teams that they have matched up and South Carolina even lost their exhibition game. The Heels certainly struggled with turnovers, the three point shot, and I think at times they rebounded pretty poorly but they beat Mount Union soundly, as they should.

A few notes:

- Garrison Brooks certainly looks like the most improved player on the roster as he posted a strong 16 point (67% shooting), 16 rebound, 2 assist, 1 steal game.

- I wouldn't be surprised if Kenny Williams led the team in scoring this year as many teams will key in on Luke this year. Kenny finished with 15 points (55% shooting, 50% from three), 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.

- It was tough to judge Nassir Little tonight as most of his points came off fast break layup's, dunks, and alley-oops. Nonetheless, the athleticism is certainly there.

- I was most surprised by Leaky Black, he reminds me so much of Theo Pinson. He's a swiss army knife and will be a thorn in the side of every ACC team for the next four years. Leaky finished with 4 points (50% shooting), 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 3 steals, and 1 block.

- Seventh Woods and Coby White manned the point guard position tonight. Both struggled with turnovers combining for eight. However, White looks like he will be a special player, his handles and ability to get to the rim are special, he just needs to work on finishing amongst bigger players.

- Platek and Manley look like they may provide some solid depth off the bench combining for 17 points.

- Luke and Cam weren't as aggressive as they probably will be during the regular season and they didn't really need to be with points coming from elsewhere tonight.

- I wasn't impressed with Brandon Robinson at all, credit to him for not seeking the easy way out and transferring though.

- It appears as though K.J. Smith, Shea Rush, Caleb Ellis, Walker Miller, and Brandon Huffman will make up blue steel this year (Ryan McAdoo is sitting out due to transfer rules).

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Garrison Brooks is impressing me in this first half vs Wofford

Nassir Little needs to be starting. C’mon Roy. He’s the most talented player we’ve had in a while 

• Pie 1

Heels are young and playing that way...Brooks is playing very hard.  The team just needs to play with savvy.  We will be ok...this is basically a first round NCAA game...Wofford probably makes the tournament.  

This was always going to be a tough game, no other blue blood coach would do what Carolina is doing.

Anywho, we need Coby White or Seventh Wood to get it together. Not having a point guard who can settle everything down is going to be a big issue.

48 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

This was always going to be a tough game, no other blue blood coach would do what Carolina is doing.

Anywho, we need Coby White or Seventh Wood to get it together. Not having a point guard who can settle everything down is going to be a big issue.

It’s obviously Coby White or bust to lead this team at the point.  Love his talent.  Watch out for Leeky doe...he will make some plays.  This is not a championship team though.  Just not.

Now...next season...champions 

Edited by Shocker

Well, it was a good double digit win over a team that will more than likely be an NCAA Tournament team.

A couple of notes:

Luke Maye: I expected him to see a lot of double teams but Wofford played him straight up and Maye showed why he’s an All-ACC player. Maye finished with 24 points (54% shooting, 89% from FT), 7 rebounds, and 4 assists.

Garrison Brooks: I said it before but I think Brooks is the most improved player on the team. He makes the bunnies and that’s all I could ask for. If he develops that baby hook and a 15 foot jumper then he may become unguardable, especially for teams who don’t have a true big man. Brooks finished with 20 points (60% shooting), 5 rebounds, and 1 steal.

Cam Johnson: Cam won Carolina the game last night with some huge three pointers. I haven’t seen a Carolina player stroke it from three like that in a long time. Cam finished with 17 points (67% shooting, 71% from three), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals.

Coby White: Coby was a little out of control at times but the toughest position to play is the point guard position and for a stretch of about five minutes in the second half he showed his elite potential. 

Nassir Little: Little is still carving out his role on a team that has multiple scorers. He looked fluid last night and shot the ball well finishing with 7 points on 60% shooting.

Seventh Woods: Seventh reminds me a lot of Wes Miller. He comes in and just tries to settle the ship, which he did in the second half once Wofford got within two. Most notably, he only had one turnover which led the team out of qualified players.

Leaky Black: I saw him out on the floor but didn’t notice him, not always a bad thing for a freshman.

Kenny Williams: His primary job was to stop Fletcher Magee and he did a solid job. Magee finished with 21 but it was on 30% shooting and 19% from three. 

Manley and Robinson: We will need more from these guys against better teams as they combined for a goose egg in 12 minutes of playing time. Roy may need to think hard about playing Platek over Robinson.

DNP: Platek, Huffman, Smith, Rush, Ellis, Miller, and McAdoo

I’d like to see a 15+ point win tonight against a rebuilding Stanford team.

It will be interesting to see how they guard Okpala tonight, a long athletic forward who can knock down the three and get to the rim.

22 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Dominant first half by the Heels.

I don’t remember the last time the Heels looked this good on defense.

Agreed, they looked really good vs Stanford on both ends.  Brooks and Manley looked fantastic as well.  Coby needs to work on PG awareness but this team is really good.  maybe they are contenders after all.  :thinking:

12 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Really bad loss for the Heels, the defense was terrible outside of the first five minutes.

Everyone not named Coby White looked horrible.

They have some serious growing to do and agree the defense was not good especially with Brooks in foul trouble like that.  The Heels will get better but a murderers row of games coming up.