• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

jamos14

Panthers WAIVE CJ Anderson

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our friend Roaring Riot has confirmed that he did not.

The official reason given by the team is "We have McCaffrey so we don't need him." I always thought depth and insurance in case someone gets hurt (cause ya know, football) were good things, but hey...

The tinfoil hat theory is that it's because of Twitter/Instagram posts.  I'd like to think our team leadership isn't stupid enough to part ways with a good player in midseason for a horses--t excuse like that.

Some folks believe there has to be more to it than that.  Me? I think there actually might not be.

So you don’t think CJ wanted out? Ron was on Panthers Talk just a bit ago and said they parted ways because CJ was unhappy with his role on the team and what he and the team envisioned for him were different. Decided to part ways. 

Marty was coming on to talk about it also but I wasn’t able to stick around for that. 

2 hours ago, Toolbox said:

CJ is clearly the better runner than CAP is.. 

Statistically with other teams running different offenses?  Absolutely.  No doubt about it.

With Carolina while lining up next to a running QB in the Carolina offense which often uses the read-option?  His stats and averages in the very few carries he received (4.3 ypc) track pretty much identically to the stats and averages that CAP has (4.3 ypc) in the very few carries that *he* has received.  Except that Anderson's catch % (catches divided by targets) in the Carolina offense in very limited opportunities was 33% compared to CAPs 100% in very limited opportunities.

Just now, Johnny Rockets said:

So you don’t think CJ wanted out? Ron was on Panthers Talk just a bit ago and said they parted ways because CJ was unhappy with his role on the team and what he and the team envisioned for him were different. Decided to part ways. 

Marty was coming on to talk about it also but I wasn’t able to stick around for that. 

Don't know.  I do know Roaring Riot said he did not ask for his release.

But even if he is unhappy, why do you part ways with solid depth going into the stretch run of the season?

The better response would be to either use him more or, at the very least, keep him around "just in case".

Happy players are nice.  Winning is nicer.

Honestly, if CJ had been lighting it up in practices and had the confidence of the coaching staff, we'd have seen him out there more.

In the end, for some reason, he wasn't fitting into the game plan and he wasn't able to make a case for getting onto the field.

I hope we don't regret it, but it isn't like we just chucked a starter on the trash heap. 

And the Cadet signing has everything to do with New Orleans.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Statistically with other teams running different offenses?  Absolutely.  No doubt about it.

With Carolina while lining up next to a running QB in the Carolina offense which often uses the read-option?  His stats and averages in the very few carries he received (4.3 ypc) track pretty much identically to the stats and averages that CAP has (4.3 ypc) in the very few carries that *he* has received.  Except that Anderson's catch % (catches divided by targets) in the Carolina offense in very limited opportunities was 33% compared to CAPs 100% in very limited opportunities.

CJ also has one thing that CAP doesn't that is very important... playoff experience.. he knows the grind and knows what the SB is like.. that is invaluable imo.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't know.  I do know Roaring Riot said he did not ask for his release.

But even if he is unhappy, why do you part ways with solid depth going into the stretch run of the season?

The better response would be to either use him more or, at the very least, keep him around "just in case".

Happy players are nice.  Winning is nicer.

I doubt anyone will find out the details for sure (as it should be) but whether he asked for his release or not,  CJ was obviously unhappy enough and expressed it enough that keeping him around was no longer in the best interest of the team. 

Just now, Johnny Rockets said:

I doubt anyone will find out the details for sure (as it should be) but whether he asked for his release or not,  CJ was obviously unhappy enough and expressed it enough that keeping him around was no longer in the best interest of the team. 

This is where I can't agree. A lot of non-starters may not be particularly pleased with their role, but that's football.  You don't dump good depth for that reason.

If something happens to McCaffrey now, how smart will it look to have dumped an experienced, battle tested thousand yard backup because he was "unhappy"?

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Literally all of Hurney's acquisitions this past off season have been terrible outside of Reid, which wasn't the offseason. Poe, Smith, and now Anderson who was a perfect fit but Norv hellbent on giving CMC 40 touches a game.

T Smith....started slow but had big game at philly before he got hurt

Poe...good pick up when we lost star...want to see him play better though

Anderson...was good on field when he was in game...nobody knows wtf happened here

Wright...has been a solid WR

Reid...has been solid 

Clark...literally found him off the street and was good until last week (everybody stunk last week)

#94...DE has had at least one really good game and is in rotation...needs to be better too

not to mention his #1 & #2 draft picks have both been winners for us...compare that to Vern, KB, etc

Sorry who cares if he was “unhappy” with his role. You need talented players in the playoffs. And depth.We needed him.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, TheRumGone said:

Sorry who cares if he was “unhappy” with his role. You need talented players in the playoffs. And depth.We needed him.

How hard would it be to give him more carries? esp in short yardage downs where he is clearly suited more for than CMC is?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is where I can't agree. A lot of non-starters may not be particularly pleased with their role, but that's football.  You don't dump good depth for that reason.

If something happens to McCaffrey now, how smart will it look to have dumped an experienced, battle tested thousand yard backup because he was "unhappy"?

I don’t know what went on behind the scenes so can’t weigh pros vs cons. I can’t imagine it’s strictly a football decision for the reasons you mention. Whatever the reasoning, things got to the point where it was time to part ways.

an 18 page thread on cj anderson? 

hes not that good and we have an all pro RB.  who cares?

1 minute ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I don’t know what went on behind the scenes so can’t weigh pros vs cons. I can’t imagine it’s strictly a football decision for the reasons you mention. Whatever the reasoning, things got to the point where it was time to part ways.

Well people say it's his social media usage getting into fights all the time.. but I haven't heard anything about the panthers having any kind of social media policy.

1 minute ago, Johnny Rockets said:

That assumes the coaches made a good decision.

This choice is one that could really come back to bite us.

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Pretty much my take.

• Beer 1