Jump to content
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Manther

Week 10 Worst Call: NFL officials must start being consistent

Recommended Posts

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/11/14/18092504/week-10-worst-call-nfl-officials-must-start-being-consistent

Two dangerous plays happened in the same game. But only one ended with a player getting ejected.

...

Carolina safety Eric Reid attempted to tackle Roethlisberger. His shoulder made contact with the quarterback’s helmet, landing a nasty hit on Big Ben. It didn’t take long for the officials to give Reid a personal foul for unnecessary roughness and eject him from the game.

...

Earlier in this same game, Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt made a questionable hit on Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. But there was no ejection, let a lone a flag.

Edited by Manther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Manther said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/11/14/18092504/week-10-worst-call-nfl-officials-must-start-being-consistent

Two dangerous plays happened in the same game. But only one ended with a player getting ejected.

Let’s be clear. Helmet-to-helmet hits are bad and dangerous. But it seems like NFL officials have trouble getting on the same page about when it’s appropriate to issue a personal foul for the hit and when to throw the flag at all.

Take Thursday night’s Panthers-Steelers game for example. In the third quarter, Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger ran the ball for 18 yards, easily converting a first down and sliding around the Panthers’ 14-yard line.

Carolina safety Eric Reid attempted to tackle Roethlisberger. His shoulder made contact with the quarterback’s helmet, landing a nasty hit on Big Ben. It didn’t take long for the officials to give Reid a personal foul for unnecessary roughness and eject him from the game.

Nobody is arguing that Reid didn’t deserve a personal foul, but fans are wondering where the consistency is on these types of calls this season.

Earlier in this same game, Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt made a questionable hit on Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. But there was no ejection, let a lone a flag.

The NFL will continue to allow Cam to be beaten down regardless of the new rules set in place. Nothing will change new rules or not.

  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cam will never be treated the same as the other QBs. The Shaq effect is real. 

Watt’s hit at game speed didn’t look too bad. Slowing it down and watching him lower his head is clearly a rule infraction (a new rule now) and it should have been flagged. Reid should not have been ejected though.

the bigger issue, well Cams health is the bigger issue but in terms of controversy was the TD in the back of the EZ. That wasn’t a catch and the refs need to get their poo tothether. 

Edited by The Lobo
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Cam will never be treated the same as the other QBs. The Shaq effect is real. 

Watt’s hit at game speed didn’t look too bad. Slowing it down and watching him lower his head is clearly a rule infraction (a new rule now) and it should have been flagged. Reid should not have been ejected though.

the bigger issue was the TD in the back of the EZ. That wasn’t a catch and the refs need to get their poo tothether. 

Been pretty stinking clear for a while that refs are more and more prone to bias towards one team in just about every game. They've got their favorite teams and players and decisions in a millisecond will be made to reflect that.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, I don't really buy into any widespread conspiracy theory that the league is calling the shots for and against certain teams and players, although it wouldn't shock me if that were true.

I think the refs just really suck at what they do and they can't separate themselves from their individual biases towards and against certain teams and players.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to Cam, I've always thought Ben took more questionable hits that weren't penalized than most.  The fact that this particular hit on Ben was penalized and resulted in an ejection while the questionable hit on Cam went completely uncalled could definitely be viewed as a message being sent to Reid.

Edited by rhyslloyd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, rbsponsel52 said:

The NFL will continue to allow Cam to be beaten down regardless of the new rules set in place. Nothing will change new rules or not.

It's called racism fellas.

  • 28-3 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a serious question. Do referees happen to sit in production meetings prior to the game? If so, that means they are being fed a narrative and what the league wants to happen in the game. Thursday Night was rigged, and that Monday Night game coming up will be even more so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rhyslloyd said:

Similar to Cam, I've always thought Ben took more questionable hits that weren't penalized than most.  The fact that this particular hit on Ben was penalized and resulted in an ejection while the questionable hit on Cam went completely uncalled could definitely be viewed as a message being sent to Reid.

It's not just Ben...it's the QB's that scramble and run more than others, and some of the QB's that are the largest at their position.

Rivers and Ben took some shots through the years that would absolutely be penalties on Brady and Brees.

Cam takes some of the worst of them, but we and he knows that now...just got to try to protect himself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

It's not just Ben...it's the QB's that scramble and run more than others, and some of the QB's that are the largest at their position.

Rivers and Ben took some shots through the years that would absolutely be penalties on Brady and Brees.

Cam takes some of the worst of them, but we and he knows that now...just got to try to protect himself.

 

I definitely agree that Ben's size (and Cam's) has something to do with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RumHam said:

It's called racism fellas.

I think it's definitely playing a part, but just a part. Refs can't hide the fact that they, individually, prefer some teams and players over others and I'm sure that has played a big role in the way they have called games. In some situations, they are looking to make a statement with what they call and don't call. They don't like Cam for whatever reason, they are going to let things go hoping to put him in his place. They don't like Reid and think of him as a bad guy, they are going to be looking for moments to give him what they feel he's got coming and "prove" he's who they think he is.

That's why I think it's so important that we win it all, just to shove it down their throats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This won't be well received but Cam Newton has 3rd highest roughing the passer calls per game only behind Fitzpatrick and Tannehill when it comes to active/starting QB's. 

Sure he takes a lot of hits but even his RTP penalties called per sack is among the highest in the league and higher than guys like Brady, Rodgers, R Wilson, Big Ben, etc. who many think get "all the calls". 

I know we are not just talking about hits in the pocket but the idea that Cam never gets calls is exaggerated.

  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watt would have easily been ejected in college for that hit on Cam. I don’t know how the officials didn’t flag it. He lowers the crown of the helmet. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,631
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Khan
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      144,493
    • Total Posts
      4,648,433
×