• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

Current top head coaching prospects

From ESPN: The hottest NFL head coaching candidates

Sports Illustrated: Who's in line as the carousel starts to spin

and USA Today: NFL coaching candidates

The names I've been mentioning this season have been Saints Assistant Head Coach Dan Campbell, Vikings OC John DeFilippo and Chiefs Special Teams Coach Dave Toub.  They're all mentioned in each of these articles, though some more prominently than others.

Other names that are heavily in the conversation:

Patriots OC Josh McDaniels (ask the Colts about that one)
Patriots (sort of) DC Brian Flores (Belichick's coaching tree has Dutch Elm disease, avoid)
Saints OC Pete Carmichael (how much is Carmichael and how much is Payton?)
Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy (same problem as Carmichael, though Matt Nagy's success may help his cause)
Bears DC Vic Fangio (the Panthers first defensive coordinator, so there's a history here)
Cowboys DB Coach Kris Richard (too soon, in my opinion; the Legion of Boom bolstered his rep a lot)
Oklahoma University Coach Lincoln Riley (not a big fan of college coaches; if you are, talk me into it)

Additional names mentioned more than once across these three articles:

Vikings DC George Edwards
Titans OC Matt LaFleur
Rams QB Coach Zac Taylor
Rams Passing Game Coordinator Shane Waldron
Baylor Head Coach Matt Rhule

I'll add more detail to this later when I have a little more time. For now, I'll finish with this quote from GM Chris Ballard about my top choice, Dan Campbell.

"He’s been mentored and trained playing under Bill Parcells and coaching under Sean Payton. He’s got a great vision of what he wants (his team) to be. I think he’s going to be an outstanding head coach. It’s not a matter of if, but when."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Give us Saints or Chiefs OC. They would be dummies to pair Cam up with another DC HC in his late half of his career. Can you post potential defensive coordinators

• Pie 7

I dont think he is NFL head coach material yet, but getting Kliff Kingsbury involved in this offense with the weapons we have would be interesting. In order to get him, you might have to offer the HC job.

Bienemy as HC

Richard as DC

Get us those two and we’re winning the SB. Wouldn’t be surprised if we kept Norv and Scott either kind of how the Bears kept Fangio 

FWIW, I wouldn’t want anyone to come in and make dramatic offensive changes. The current offense functions fairly well. Just needs a few tweaks. Defense needs a complete overhaul though

• Pie 1

I want Kris Richard. He is doing amazing things with that Dallas defense that has question marks all over the secondary. He also is young enough not to have an old school mentality. 

Im not convinced this offensive explosion is going to last. I think the officiating will lax a bit allowing defense to play a more prominent role next year. 

• Pie 2

I don't really like college coaches either but I honestly would like Matt Rhule. He did an astounding job at Temple.

44 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

You're quick.

Not that quick.

I've been reading up on this topic for a couple of weeks. I just hadn't posted much of anything about it.

21 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Get Campbell to bring Carmichael with him as OC and give him a chance to shine without Payton. 

Carmichael might mean a more West Coast type of system.

I've never really been in favor of that for us, but with McCaffrey, Samuel and especially DJ Moore at the skill positions and Newton doing a better job with his passing efficiency this season, it might be worth a look.

Mind you, Campbell's mentor (Bill Parcells) was more of an EP guy, but I think this season has shown we could run that too.

If the team shows up for December(which they do under Rivera) then I think Ron is safe for another year. especially if we can sweep the Aints, which I don’t think is possible

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not that quick.

I've been reading up on this topic for a couple of weeks. I just hadn't posted much of anything about it.

Carmichael might mean a more West Coast type of system.

I've never really been in favor of that for us, but with McCaffrey, Samuel and especially DJ Moore at the skill positions and Newton doing a better job with his passing efficiency this season, it might be worth a look.

Mind you, Campbell's mentor (Bill Parcells) was more of an EP guy, but I think this season has shown we could run that too.

I’ve always been of a similar mindset(hey we’re old) but running one system is going away IMO, if you can’t be versatile, someone will figure it out. 

32 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

FWIW, I wouldn’t want anyone to come in and make dramatic offensive changes. The current offense functions fairly well. Just needs a few tweaks. Defense needs a complete overhaul though

The problem is Rivera should have known this

look at his current defensive coaching staff topped off by Washington 

this team deserved a HC smart enough to get a seasoned DC and a personnel guy keep Byrd over a serviceable cb

now, we have a defensive set that plays 8 yards off of pro receivers.  It is absolutely ridiculous 

im like, does he want to get fired.  All of it is stupid

• Pie 3

Campbell, DeFillippo, and Toub could all be interesting just to see what they've got and what tidbits they could bring from successful teams.  Campbell especially.  Want to beat the Saints?  Get one of their coaches who knows them inside and out. 

A total Panthers move would be Fangio - - which I'm not a fan of due to age. IF we go defensive minded HC, I want Kingsbury or some college coach as OC. 

Edited by CarolinaNCSU
  • Pie 1