• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Beastepbones

Why are we so spoiled?

I understand high expectations. I understand the ultimate goal is the super bowl. But as a long time fan we cant forget where we've come from. We have been NFC south champs almost every year, and even in the years we were not, we were still in the playoffs for minimum last 5 yrs right off the top of my head. So when we have slightly less than .500 winning percentage we are ready to fire Rivera, fire newton, change this or that... and no doubt changes need to be made...however the majority of the games we ve lost in this losing streak has been by one possession and most times one play.  Okay. So we need to practice to have more perseverance. We need to be more conditioned. Practice under pressure more. I'm not saying I have the answer.... but remember when we were just grateful for having a winning season? Remember when making the playoffs was rare and special? Well the very people you're holding the gun to are the people who jas given you the expectation and have made you realize the carolina panther should be in the playoffs every year. When you are fed every day without fail, you can afford to miss a day while your master goes to town to get more food. 

-Beastep

I remember actually having to look up stuff in a 24 book encyclopedia.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:20 AM, Beastepbones said:

I understand high expectations. I understand the ultimate goal is the super bowl. But as a long time fan we cant forget where we've come from. We have been NFC south champs almost every year, and even in the years we were not, we were still in the playoffs for minimum last 5 yrs right off the top of my head. So when we have slightly less than .500 winning percentage we are ready to fire Rivera, fire newton, change this or that... and no doubt changes need to be made...however the majority of the games we ve lost in this losing streak has been by one possession and most times one play.  Okay. So we need to practice to have more perseverance. We need to be more conditioned. Practice under pressure more. I'm not saying I have the answer.... but remember when we were just grateful for having a winning season? Remember when making the playoffs was rare and special? Well the very people you're holding the gun to are the people who jas given you the expectation and have made you realize the carolina panther should be in the playoffs every year. When you are fed every day without fail, you can afford to miss a day while your master goes to town to get more food. 

-Beastep

We have been NFC south champs almost every year

*5 times the last 15 years isnt almost every year

we were still in the playoffs for minimum last 5 yrs right off the top of my head.

* nope, another incorrect statement

• Pie 1

8 years without back to back winning seasons under RR, and the entire franchise as a whole has never had them. Overwhelming loyalty to players/coaches when it's obvious to everyone for years they should have been put out to pasture. Ridiculously dumb moves by Hurney and Gettleman. Inconsistent performances all the way around the board for over 20 years. This fanbase isn't spoiled, they're sick of mediocrity. We want, and we deserve, better. 

On 1/10/2019 at 1:57 PM, SmokinwithWilly said:

8 years without back to back winning seasons under RR, and the entire franchise as a whole has never had them. Overwhelming loyalty to players/coaches when it's obvious to everyone for years they should have been put out to pasture. Ridiculously dumb moves by Hurney and Gettleman. Inconsistent performances all the way around the board for over 20 years. This fanbase isn't spoiled, they're sick of mediocrity. We want, and we deserve, better. 

It's the Duke/UNC effect.  Everyone grew up watching these basketball teams win 20+ games a year forever and every 3 or 4 years one of these 2 teams would either win or be in the championship game.  Not the final 4, which one of these 2 are in about every other year, but the championship game.  If they can do it in basketball why can't the Panthers do this in football?  The NFL does not work the same and people don't get it.  Imagine if Alabama had and NFL team and they had the same kind of record as the Panthers do.  The fans would run them out of town.

If Fox had been the coach of the Jets, or Browns, or Cardinals, or Lions he would still be there and the fans would be wanting to build a statue for him.

It's not NCAA basketball and you're comparing the Panthers to teams that have a long established history of success. Teams have salary caps and can't just get 5 of the top 20 players in the league based on name only. If UNC or Duke kept having losing seasons or got bounced round 1  as a 15th or 16th seed after winning a crappy conference with a losing record, Williams and Coach K might be looking for new jobs. Take into consideration Rivera has never had the success either of those two have and he would be hitting the bricks.

This team had not put together back to back winning seasons in its existence. We as fans aren't asking for a NFC Championship every year, even though we would really like it. We are asking for a team that competes every year. I consider a 10-6 season that doesn't make a wildcard successful. I know there's off years and things you can't control, but teams can and have dealt with key injuries and carried on to winning records. Catching lightning in a bottle in 15 is the only reason RR is employed in Carolina. Fans deserve better than what we are getting. Back to back winning seasons in 8 years under RR and over 20 years as a franchise is really not a lot to ask for. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly

imagine being content with never having back to back winning seasons in franchise history and consistently missing the playoffs despite having the greatest dual threat QB in the history of the NFL in his prime.

15 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It's not NCAA basketball and you're comparing the Panthers to teams that have a long established history of success. Teams have salary caps and can't just get 5 of the top 20 players in the league based on name only. If UNC or Duke kept having losing seasons or got bounced round 1  as a 15th or 16th seed after winning a crappy conference with a losing record, Williams and Coach K might be looking for new jobs. Take into consideration Rivera has never had the success either of those two have and he would be hitting the bricks.

This team had not put together back to back winning seasons in its existence. We as fans aren't asking for a NFC Championship every year, even though we would really like it. We are asking for a team that competes every year. I consider a 10-6 season that doesn't make a wildcard successful. I know there's off years and things you can't control, but teams can and have dealt with key injuries and carried on to winning records. Catching lightning in a bottle in 15 is the only reason RR is employed in Carolina. Fans deserve better than what we are getting. Back to back winning seasons in 8 years under RR and over 20 years as a franchise is really not a lot to ask for. 

Rivera has been to the playoffs 4 times in 8 years.  He has won 3 playoff games in that time.  I think people get to hung up on the back to back winning record thing.  I don't think he is a great coach, we could have better, but we could have a lot worse.  The Cowboys did not win a playoff game from 1996 until 2010, the Lions have not won a playoff game since Barry Sanders was there.  The Bills have not won a playoff game this century and last year was the first time they made it to the playoffs this century.  It could be a lot worse.  Changing coaches because of 1 bad year is not the best idea.  People seem to forget we were 11-5 in 2017 and a dropped pass by Funches from winning a playoff game 1 season ago.  And that was with no receivers and Olson out for over half the year.

The point I was trying to make about Duke/UNC is perception.  People see these teams win all the time.  Every year.  They say "well if they can do it why can't team X do it".  It does not work like that in sports all the time.  One day Brady will retire, I think, and New England might not make the playoffs for 10 years.  Coach K will retire one year and Duke might not win 20 games for 15 years. 

All I am trying to say is don't look at the top 10 - 12 teams in all of sports and say "why can't we be them."  Look at the bottom 50 and say " I am sure glad we are not them".