• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Heels fan...looking at these Dukies.  Not sure at all they will lose again this season.  Just not seeing it.  Amazingly talented and the rest of the NCAA is just average.  Somebody prove me wrong please.

Duke is really good this year. Objectively they are the best team in college basketball. With the exception of Reddish, every one of those young kids could succeed in the NBA right now. Jones, Williamson, and Barrett are just nasty. They also seem to truly be a "team" where they just have a vibe and all get along and gel together really well. This Duke team is also incredibly good defensively, something they've lacked recently. Even in games where they can't buy a 3 they still dominate. Look at the Texas Tech game, and Texas Tech is one of the best teams defensively. They only hit 3 from range that game. Unlike Duke teams of the past they don't need to shoot lights out to get a W against elite teams. They lead the nation in blocks and are top 5 in offense and defense in the nation. No other team comes close. And their bench players like White and Bolden and O'Connell have really improved this season. They are scary. May be the best Duke team in history, rivaling 1992, 1999, 2001 teams. I think they win the ACC outright and I would pick them against the field. 

Shortly after I say Reddish is the one young kid whom isn’t ready for the NBA he becomes the hero. Lol. This duke team is amazing. They’re not perfect, but they’re damn close. Duke does not have a weakness. Williamson was forced out an entire half in the home of Florida state because if his eye, one of the best teams in America, and they still make it look easy. Duke scares me more than pennywise as a 4 year old. 

Edited by Herb
  • Pie 1

Duke's shooting issues are still going to haunt them, but with a healthy Tre they're hands down the favorite and best team in the country. If Tre can't come back, or comes back hindered?  Sweet Sixteen and maybe Elite Eight is the ceiling on a good day.  Tre's defense is that good, and they need a PG to run the show like all good teams. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, stankowalski said:

I think Virginia is going to surprise some people in this thread.

Why?  They are #4 in the nation and undefeated.  Doubt they surprise anyone.  Tre Jones injury hurts Duke real bad.  Va has to be the favorite in the ACC.

Edited by Shocker

And Duke downs UVA without Jones. That’s an incredible win. Duke’s 2 losses look a bit unlucky more than anything. I wouldn’t dare bet against this team. They completely dominated Syracuse until Jones was injured. That would jar any team. Reddish was also out the entire game. And they barely lost. Then they had 4 days to regroup and game planned the hell out of an outstanding Virginia team. 

Edited by Herb
  • Beer 1
  • Cargos 1

Duke is straight filthy. This team reminds me of the Williams/battier/dunleavy/boozer era duke. Just pure dominance. To sweep Virginia is no joke. Duke is the only team to beat Virginia. Duke is the best team in college basketball by far. And they are starting to hit that 3 ball. This team is scary as fug. They make 2015 Kentucky look like a sweet baby lamb. 

Edited by Herb
  • Beer 1

As a Duke fan, I'm excited by what I've seen this year.  By far the best team I've seen play.

Now the BUT ..     Kentucky was probably the best team in the country the year Duke beat Wisconsin for the  National Championship.   They were undefeated and lost to Wisconsin in the simi's ..    What I'm getting at is the best teams don't always win . 

UNC will always give us problems.  Watching them play Louisville and NC State,, I saw speed in transition  that concerns me. ( counting on Coach K to slow them down )  two things you can't coach is speed  and height ,, either you have it or your don't ..  Then I watch UNCheaters  play Miami yesterday, and that speed wasn't there..  they weren't getting every rebound, loose ball..  So I'm hoping for a sweep,  but a split won't kill me..

Dayum Duke Is Good ( again :tongue: )

18 hours ago, Herb said:

Duke is straight filthy. This team reminds me of the Williams/battier/dunleavy/boozer era duke. Just pure dominance. To sweep Virginia is no joke. Duke is the only team to beat Virginia. Duke is the best team in college basketball by far. And they are starting to hit that 3 ball. This team is scary as fug. They make 2015 Kentucky look like a sweet baby lamb. 

So here's the thing that got me yesterday. Virginia played ZERO zone vs Duke. You know what BC & Georgia Tech had in common vs Duke? They played Zone, and made them win with the 3 point shot. They couldn't. So, they just got it to Zion and he took over vs two shitty teams. You don't play Zone vs Duke, you're not winning. Simple as that. 

Duke is very good but this team is not better than the Duke teams of the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Those teams were five and six deep as compared to this team which is about 3.5 players deep depending on how Tre Jones plays.

So you are needing a group of 3.5 players to play anywhere from seven to nine games (ACC & NCAA tourney) against some of the toughest teams in the country  in a matter of four weeks.

It’ll look very similar to when Duke played nine games in the first four weeks of the season. Eventually there is a solid chance they catch a team who has more depth.

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Duke is very good but this team is not better than the Duke teams of the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Those teams were five and six deep as compared to this team which is about 3.5 players deep depending on how Tre Jones plays.

So you are needing a group of 3.5 players to play anywhere from seven to nine games (ACC & NCAA tourney) against some of the toughest teams in the country  in a matter of four weeks.

It’ll look very similar to when Duke played nine games in the first four weeks of the season. Eventually there is a solid chance they catch a team who has more depth.

When has Tre Jones played a bad game? He's the key to the defense, and frankly the team.  Reddish is the streaky one. Bolden as well.  But, if Reddish/Bolden play consistently okay during the tournament?  Yeah it's over. 3-4 players playing well is all it takes to win in the one and done era.  NO teams are 5-6 deep anymore the way early 2000's Duke was. Scoring is a simplistic look, but the last few title winners... 

• 2018 Nova - 2 guys in double figures in title game 
  • 2017 UNC - 3 guys in double figures (one with 13)
  • 2016 Nova - 4 guys in double figures (one with 12)
  • 2015 Duke - 4 guys (one with 10, one with 11)
  • 2014 UCONN - 3 guys (one with 10)

Not saying this year's Duke team beats the teams in 00-02, but if that's the bar holy hell. This Duke team has the highest recorded adjusted efficiency rating since 2002...with one exception (for now) in the 2015 UK team that probably should've went undefeated.  Needing "3.5 players" to play well?  Well I'll take those odds over nearly every other team in the country with only 1-2 NBA level players. 

21 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

When has Tre Jones played a bad game? He's the key to the defense, and frankly the team.  Reddish is the streaky one. Bolden as well.  But, if Reddish/Bolden play consistently okay during the tournament?  Yeah it's over. 3-4 players playing well is all it takes to win in the one and done era.  NO teams are 5-6 deep anymore the way early 2000's Duke was. Scoring is a simplistic look, but the last few title winners... 

• 2018 Nova - 2 guys in double figures in title game 
  • 2017 UNC - 3 guys in double figures (one with 13)
  • 2016 Nova - 4 guys in double figures (one with 12)
  • 2015 Duke - 4 guys (one with 10, one with 11)
  • 2014 UCONN - 3 guys (one with 10)

Not saying this year's Duke team beats the teams in 00-02, but if that's the bar holy hell. This Duke team has the highest recorded adjusted efficiency rating since 2002...with one exception (for now) in the 2015 UK team that probably should've went undefeated.  Needing "3.5 players" to play well?  Well I'll take those odds over nearly every other team in the country with only 1-2 NBA level players. 

Tre Jones isn't bad but outside of Reddish he is the most inconsistent player on Duke when it comes to scoring, not to mention he is a horrible three point shooter. While Reddish is inconsistent he can still put up 25+ on any given night. Additionally, I'd argue that it's more important to have depth in the one and done era, something that Duke lacks.

You're also putting the mark at double figures but I'd argue that you should look at the top eight players on each team that is projected to be a title contender, it will certainly readjust your thinking.

And maybe I'm missing something here but:

2018 - Villanova had six players average double figures

2017 - UNC had four

2016 - Villanova had four

2015 - Duke had four

In my mind this Duke team is similar to the 2010 Duke team that was top heavy in scoring (three players averaging 17+). However, the difference is that 2010 Duke team also had seven players who at least suited up for an NBA game, what I like to call depth.. Additionally, in the past 20 years only two teams that can argue that they were freshman led have won National Championships (Syracuse and Kentucky).

Maybe I'm wrong but I could definitely see Duke losing in the Elite Eight after having to play two games against tough competition in the matter of three days. When all of Duke's starters are tired, who is going to come in and give them a boost: DeLaurier, O'Connell, White? Tennessee has five guys in double figures and six that average over eight points a game. Additionally, both Gonzaga and Kentucky have more depth than Duke, a key factor in making a long run in the tournament.

This Duke team is going to find themselves in some fights after running through the ACC Tournament playing the likes of Louisville, UVA, UNC, etc. and then playing a schedule of Texas, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Tennessee (example) in the span of a month.

I see Gonzaga or Tennessee winning it all.