• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

You want to contend again, right?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

A lot a people were excited when they found out we'd be doing things "the Steeler way"

Well folks, this is the Steeler way.

A lot of folks also lack fundamental intellect through their blind excitement. 

• Pie 1

Gettleman lost his job for trying to do this a few years ago. Now I'm not saying he was perfect. He wasn't. But it's hilarious to me that he got canned for trying to do this exact thing. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, je1005 said:

I thought he got canned for his deconstruction of a 17-2 juggernaut.

Richardson fired him because he didn't like how he dealt with players (business vs family).

• Pie 1

Everything feels hollow if Rivera and Hurney are lame ducks, but it is a step forward that needs to happen.  Getting younger and hungrier, force Rivera to play some young guys, add some speed and guys looking for big money as opposed to those who have gotten it, etc. 

7 minutes ago, je1005 said:

Lol.

I’m not doing this debate today, Scot. 

Don't have to, but I'll leave you with this.

Would you want to argue that Jerry Richardson's primary concern when moving from a successful GM back to Marty Hurney was winning?

1 hour ago, ickmule said:

The franchise hasn’t helped Cam, but Cam also hasn’t helped himself develop either. 

Unfortunately I have to agree. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, ickmule said:

The franchise hasn’t helped Cam, but Cam also hasn’t helped himself develop either. 

He has but he seems to focus on conditioning more than his mechanics. That's probably partly the coaches fault too for making him a battering ram early on. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don't have to, but I'll leave you with this.

Would you want to argue that Jerry Richardson's primary concern when moving from a successful GM back to Marty Hurney was winning?

I won’t argue that. 

I stand by my original testimony: neither Dave nor Marty made/make me feel like we’re fielding our best possible product. 

TD was above average at best this year...and he likely would have been worse next year...assuming he made thru the entire season

now...we have to replace him and shaq is nowhere near good enough

no player is bigger than the team....and no I don't feel sorry for him in any way...yes he made above and beyond sacrifices to play...but he was paid millions to play a game...he lives in a mansion and is set for life financially

had a great career...hope he retires...but he wants a couple more years to make a few more million...he may be able to get another $5m-$6m for a couple more years...we would all probably do the same

lol.

this reeks of a vintage off season huddle thread, its the managerial equivalent of "UDFA dominating OTA, potential pro bowler?"

Tepper has already made it clear what his philosophy is when nobody on the coaching staff was axed.

I fully expect us to finish 5-11 next year. Too many holes to fill, too little money, too poor of a draft picks to get the 3-4 immediate impact players we need and a coach and GM I don't trust.

Realistically we need a LT, LG and C if we fail to re-sign Williams and move on from Matt Kalil. We will need depth at RB, TE (especially if Olsen is gone) and WR.

We need 2 DE's, do we keep Poe and Short on inflated contracts? Especially when the draft is deep at DT and the free agent class is flush with talent.

Is our LB depth good enough? We have Luke, Shaq and drafted Carter and Smith. Mayo is a FA and Davis is gone.

Jackson and Bradberry looked good, Captain, meh. We need depth, maybe even making Jackson the nickle. Saftey is a cluster if we don't bring back Reid, we have Gaulden.

I just don't see how we make the playoffs next year, especially if Cam comes in with a bum shoulder. I could see next year being a waste year where we clear cap space and evaluate young talent.

This has to be the result of outside pressure on Rivera and Hurney who fit Richardson's philosophy of protecting the old guard. Rivera is known to have said he didn't like the way he felt was an early release from his s career as a player, that he didn't get to retire when he wanted to on his own terms so he took the opportunity to provide that for players who had paid their dues in the league. Performance was secondary. The focus was maturity. 

You don't have to look any further than Hurney and his legendarily bad contracts to order players as a "thanks for all you've done" rather than looking forward to what they were able to do down the road. Hurney preferred the old guard and he was brought back by Richardson specifically for that reason.

It's nice and full of warm fuzzies, but good vibes and a family like environment doesn't necessarily win games, in fact strict adherence to protecting that will cost you.

The truth is, the older you are the slower you are and the less endurance you have. You field a team with a lot of old guys and you may have the smartest and wisest team, you might even have the most skilled players in the league, but you won't be a consistent winner because you don't have the speed and endurance you need for a long season.

You make sacrifices along the way to help extend their life, but those sacrifices result in missed practices and a poorly prepared team.

This is a mindset that Hurney and Rivera have to adapt to or else the team fails again.

Personally, I don't think they can pull it off because they have to sacrifice so much philosophically to do it. It's gonna be a struggle.

• Beer 1