Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

You want to contend again, right?

3 hours ago, Red Dead Redemption said:

TD replacement has to be addressed through free agency like a Deone Buccanon or in the first 2rounds of the draft. We cant ignore that spot and expect Shaq and Carter/Andre to step up their game unless we are aiming for the #2 pick with a win over the Saints in week17 of next year.

What about Mayo?  He’s a natural OLB and has looked good when on the field.  I think we will resign him to start this coming season.

11 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Gettleman was fired because of his perpetual inability to release someone with class or an idea as to how it would affect the team. His releases continually turned into major media events and distractions, and his insistence on cutting or forcing retirement upon Jordan Gross, Steve Smith, and most importantly Josh Norman all caused massive holes that we haven't filled to this day (with the exception of Smith - maybe).

This came to a head when he wanted to cut our second-best offensive and defensive players (Thomas Davis and Greg Olsen), in the same offseason, without having adequate replacements ready for either of them. Richardson understandably decided to can the guy who basically single-handedly caused a 6-10 season instead.

This post makes a lot of assumptions that aren't proven and I have no idea what you are talking about not having a replacement for TD. We drafted Shaq for that exact reason. 

From every indication I've read, Steve was an absolute necessity to release if we wanted/needed Cam to be the leader of this team. 

Gross was asked to take a paycut, probably in a not nice way, and instead of doing it he retired. If you read between the lines and listened to this is Gross it was easy to tell he was tired of being that heavy and constantly struggling to maintain weight. 

Gettleman made a bad call on resending Josh's franchise tag, but absolutely the right call on not giving Josh a massive payday. Redskins desperate to get out of that contract right now. 

Gettleman did a lot of things wrong. One of them being he wasn't chummy like Hurney. But him moving on from expensive vets was definitely not one of them. 

• Beer 3

2 hours ago, coralreefer_1 said:

Were we not a defense led by someone not in that management position anymore? Luke also was missing tackles and looked lie poo until RR took over. Are you prepared to say 59 is poo? 

Luke was overcompensating for poor play calling, yes he didn't look great. But even under Washington he started to play better the weeks leading up to Ron taking over. And after Ron took over he started playing at an elite level again. You can make an argument that Shaq didn't get a proper look at starting with Ron calling plays. But he didn't even look good the last few games of the season in relief 3rd LB duty, a position he has played the past 3 seasons for us. Are you willing to give Shaq the benefit of the doubt and stake 9 million on a player that has yet to prove much of anything in 4 years?

15 minutes ago, SOJA said:

This post makes a lot of assumptions that aren't proven and I have no idea what you are talking about not having a replacement for TD. We drafted Shaq for that exact reason. 

Shaq is not nearly as good and is he worth $10 million a year? That's what it will cost to keep him. If we can't, we're a 4-3 defense without OLBs.

From every indication I've read, Steve was an absolute necessity to release if we wanted/needed Cam to be the leader of this team. 

Gross was asked to take a paycut, probably in a not nice way, and instead of doing it he retired. If you read between the lines and listened to this is Gross it was easy to tell he was tired of being that heavy and constantly struggling to maintain weight. 

All well and good except our options other than him were Byron Bell and Nate Chandler... yeah, not good.

Gettleman made a bad call on resending Josh's franchise tag, but absolutely the right call on not giving Josh a massive payday. Redskins desperate to get out of that contract right now. 

They can get out of it right now if they want, actually, since all his guaranteed money has been paid. He has two years of 100% non-guaranteed money left. If Gettleman had just kept the tag on, we wouldn't have had maybe the second or third-worst draft class in team history.

Gettleman did a lot of things wrong. One of them being he wasn't chummy like Hurney. But him moving on from expensive vets was definitely not one of them. 

Moving on from vets is great if you actually have replacements ready. He never did. How many left tackles have we had since Gross retired? How many corners have we chewed through since Norman left? How many receivers have we signed and drafted hoping to replace Steve Smith? Moving on for the sake of moving on is dumb.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Pantha-kun said:

The only way this move will piss me off is if we end up wasting a 1st or 2nd rounder on a LB 

Yup. And you know damn well that’s exactly what we’re gonna do.

If we want to get rid of someone who's too old, too slow, not able to keep up a full season at peak level in today's NFL, maybe we should look at RR too. 

We want to contend again, more than every other year, right?

Edited by SmokinwithWilly

About TD--There is a poem by AE Houseman entitled, "To an Athlete Dying Young"  you probably read it in high school, at least those of you who advanced that far.  
Most athletes die a young "death" because many are eliminated through competition before they learn to shave (males).  Those who play beyond high school, college, three knee surgeries, and a 12-year NFL career are blessed.  But the window closes on all athletes, and that is what TD needs to accept. 

I have been away for a while--working---how many of these decisions are coming from Ron or Marty?  It just feels different.  I think Tepper is behind a lot of this,  but not sure.  That meeting in Jersey was more significant than we will ever know.

32 minutes ago, Piff said:

I don't trust Hurney to rebuild the team.

If Tepper trust him for now then I'm going to trust Tepper. 

@Jeremy Igo @RoaringRiot every year since the superb owl we’ve said we need to get younger and faster. Every year we’ve gotten worse. 

Football isn’t just about the body. It’s about the mind and the team too.

Looking forward to seeing how things shake down. 

8 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

If Tepper trust him for now then I'm going to trust Tepper. 

What’s our record under Tepper again?