Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Icege

A case to designate Dontari Poe as a post-6/1 cut

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

Most of the time, the feedback from fans of the previous team is pretty accurate. With the exception of a scheme/coaching fit. Turns out that those turds in Atl were correct. 

Yep, and Viking's fans warned us about Kalil and told us how much we would like J Wright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, ImfromClayton said:

I'm cool with this if we pick Dexter Lawrence.

Yep. I’m cool with this move because DT might actually be BPA at 16. I’d be even cooler with it if we could pair it with making a run at Clark or Clowney or Lawrence. Maybe they won’t happen but with a few cuts we should be able to get well north of $40m in cap space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Here's another comparison:

2018 Defensive Statistics
A: 1 sack, 17 tackles, 4 TFL, 3 QB Hits, Salary: 5.3m
B: 0 sack, 17 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 QB Hits, Salary: 6.7m

Anyone know who player B is?

Not saying I love Poe.  And 9.3m is a big hit next year (player B will be making 11.5m next year by the way).  But I believe we are limited in how many designated June 1 cuts we can make and I'd much rather dump Matt Kalil and his dead weight. 

*slides Star's 1 pass deflection in there as well* :poo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Here's another comparison:

2018 Defensive Statistics
A: 1 sack, 17 tackles, 4 TFL, 3 QB Hits, Salary: 5.3m
B: 0 sack, 17 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 QB Hits, Salary: 6.7m

Anyone know who player B is?

Not saying I love Poe.  And 9.3m is a big hit next year (player B will be making 11.5m next year by the way).  But I believe we are limited in how many designated June 1 cuts we can make and I'd much rather dump Matt Kalil and his dead weight. 

Even if we don't designate him a June 1 cut we still save cap space next year by releasing him.

Cap hit if we keep him: $9.3m

Cap hit if we cut him: $6.7m

Here is another way to look it:

Total cap that still has to be accounted for if you cut him this year, $6.7m (the dead money on his contract)

Total cap that still has to be accounted for if you cut him next year, $12.6m (cap hit for this year + dead money left next year)

Are you willing to commit roughly $6m more to the cap for one more year of service?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My fix.  And changing up in my Mock for the Moment

Cutting Poe first and foremost 

1st: Christian Wilkins

All the top edge guys looking more and more less likely to be there.

A NT in a 4-3 Does Not Necessarily have to be a giant immobile mass

Tampa's D never really just had that big 340 pound DT beside McCoy, philly doesnt really with Cox.  Saints dont.

 

Whipe everyone is hype on Lawrence. Because his size.  Wilkins is the one who has been performing.  Even without Lawerence, he has taken over (see the Alabama and Notre Dame games) he has plenty size and Speed.  Pairing him in the middle with KK is going to be fits for OLs.  

His size for Example, 

Star coming out was 6'2 311

Wilkins is 6'4 315

 

 

Wilkins play in these CFB playoffs WITHOUT Lawerence reminded me of Suh so much at the end at Nebraska 

 

Give me him and the DE put of Miami in the 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

My fix.  And changing up in my Mock for the Moment

Cutting Poe first and foremost 

1st: Christian Wilkins

All the top edge guys looking more and more less likely to be there.

A NT in a 4-3 Does Not Necessarily have to be a giant immobile mass

Tampa's D never really just had that big 340 pound DT beside McCoy, philly doesnt really with Cox.  Saints dont.

 

Whipe everyone is hype on Lawrence. Because his size.  Wilkins is the one who has been performing.  Even without Lawerence, he has taken over (see the Alabama and Notre Dame games) he has plenty size and Speed.  Pairing him in the middle with KK is going to be fits for OLs.  

His size for Example, 

Star coming out was 6'2 311

Wilkins is 6'4 315

 

Give me him and the DE put of Miami in the 2nd

Wilkins or Lawrence would be great. I'm concerned that they'll be gone as well, especially with ATL picking before us and needing a DT. They know that they liked Grady Jarrett and have Vic Beasley, they can look to put another Tiger on that DL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Icege said:

Wilkins or Lawrence would be great. I'm concerned that they'll be gone as well, especially with ATL picking before us and needing a DT. They know that they liked Grady Jarrett and have Vic Beasley, they can look to put another Tiger on that DL

Every DL isnt going to be gone at 16

Lawerence the more and more I go back and look is IDENTICAL to Poe coming out.  A big combine freak and has had a couple small injuries 

Wilkins has been THE guy on that DL

He was taking on the double teams in the CFP without Lawerence and couldn't be handled even against the best OL in bama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butler should be jettisoned ASAP, even though he looked better in the last few games. He just seems toxic imho.

Poe, however, should be restructured.

I know it is only a year removed from his signing, but we need him to at least come off $1-2 million dollars to help the team.

As has been mentioned, we didn't pay Poe to rush the passer. He's a run stopping piece/space eater, and I think he did a pretty good job of that this year.


You only get three post-June 1st designations, IIRC. I expect that we'll use two on Munnerlyn and Kalil. The other I'm saving for Greg Olsen in case he doesn't retire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cam2Ligit2Quit said:

Disagree. Poe is and has never been a pass rusher. He is a gap eater taking double team giving the LB ability to shot gabs. If you watch game film he dose not get driven back as much as short. Same mode as Five-time Pro Bowler Haloti Ngata. He won’t wow you with stats. We need him on the team next year. 

Exactly. 

Image result for dontari pe panthers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the same games as the Poe haters and I guess we all see with different eyes or something or you guys have the jersey numbers wrong or something.

Poe I thought played great— in one of Jeremy’s posts he said this too— Poe was smashing double teams, getting quarterbacks to move by pushing the pocket, and stopped a lot of runs. 

Short got paid and got lazy,.. Poe isn’t a Carolina guy and was brought by Hurney—Dave drafted Star so the Dave boys love bashing the Hurney— I liked Star— he wanted to leave— oh well.

anyway— big mistake cutting Poe. Short is the one that needs to get traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire feline underperformed. Well the entire defense actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I watched the same games as the Poe haters and I guess we all see with different eyes or something or you guys have the jersey numbers wrong or something.

Poe I thought played great— in one of Jeremy’s posts he said this too— Poe was smashing double teams, getting quarterbacks to move by pushing the pocket, and stopped a lot of runs. 

Short got paid and got lazy,.. Poe isn’t a Carolina guy and was brought by Hurney—Dave drafted Star so the Dave boys love bashing the Hurney— I liked Star— he wanted to leave— oh well.

anyway— big mistake cutting Poe. Short is the one that needs to get traded.

First

Its pretty ignorant people here quick to say Short got Lazy

The dude was about the 2nd best interior DL the year AFTER he got paid.  He got Paid THEN put up better #s than Cox up in Philly.  By these statements you could say the same dam thing about Cam, who had a MVP year after signing then dropped 

 

Its not a coincidence his #s dropped when Poe took over for Poe

Its not a coincidence OLs got to the LBs more than any year since Luke has been here.

Its not a coincidence that we got gashed in the run game up the middle.

Its not a Coincidence Poe got pushed off the line with ease.  The dude dodnt get double teamed as much as people like to say (NFL Gamepass is great, the Coaches film shows miltiple angles of every play not just the TV coverage) Poe got blown the fug up by the Center 1 on 1

These were the same gripes Atlanta fans had last year.  They didnt even attempt to resign him......For a reason.  He didnt have much of a market and we didnt have any competition signing him last summer, For A Reason.

 

 

If he is a placemaker getting paid like Love, thats fine but he's not.  He's been somewhat a liability despite getting paid as a stud starter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ncfan said:

First

Its pretty ignorant people here quick to say Short got Lazy

The dude was about the 2nd best interior DL the year AFTER he got paid.  He got Paid THEN put up better #s than Cox up in Philly.  By these statements you could say the same dam thing about Cam, who had a MVP year after signing then dropped 

 

Its not a coincidence his #s dropped when Poe took over for Poe

Its not a coincidence OLs got to the LBs more than any year since Luke has been here.

Its not a coincidence that we got gashed in the run game up the middle.

Its not a Coincidence Poe got pushed off the line with ease.  The dude dodnt get double teamed as much as people like to say (NFL Gamepass is great, the Coaches film shows miltiple angles of every play not just the TV coverage) Poe got blown the fug up by the Center 1 on 1

These were the same gripes Atlanta fans had last year.  They didnt even attempt to resign him......For a reason.  He didnt have much of a market and we didnt have any competition signing him last summer, For A Reason.

 

 

If he is a placemaker getting paid like Love, thats fine but he's not.  He's been somewhat a liability despite getting paid as a stud starter

Wow you don’t agree with me so you must be ignorant... great, gotcha.

anyway, I pretty much disagree with all of that. 

That is all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poe is great... just every oline that we faced this year got zooted right before the game... Only for our games.  Zero drug tests for any opposing players for any game against us this season.  And the refs, don't get me started...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...