• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

top dawg

PFF gives Moton props

3 hours ago, Icege said:

In all fairness, Taylor Moton can play anywhere on the offensive line with the exception of center (and right guard, but that's only because Trai Turner has that held down).

If DWill is retained, then we can plug Moton in at either LT or LG. If we go out and get a veteran guard in free agency or draft one that is able to start when the season begins, bye Kalil. If we decide to stay with Kalil for one more season for whatever reason, Moton takes over at LG and we see who comes out of the camp battle for center (Van Roten, Larsen, or a draft pick?)

I'm super happy about the Moton pick. His versatility is a blessing. We've got a Pro Bowl RG and the possibility to keep a top RT. Lock that side of the line down and plug Moton in wherever we need him on the left side.

I agree, but when I was assessing the fact that they have shown no interest in playing Moton at LT because the opportunity was there most of the season and they did not. At the beginning of the season, he was competing at RT, LT, and he did not take either job.  Yet when LT became open again--he was not moved to LT and a RT free agent signed--they signed a player who could play LT.  That suggests that, since LT protects your $25m QB's blind side, that the premonition that Moton is the LT of the future may be premature--he would have played LT if he was a LT, especially if they knew Cam was banged up. 

These Rhodes Scholars accused me of having this opinion-they do not understand third person analysis.  Regardless, I rolled with it.  My points were simple:

Aside from emergency duty, in week 1, Moton has been at RT--even when Kalil went down.

You protect your QB's blind side--if your best LT is on the roster, he plays LT--not RT because some scrub is better at LT---why would they bring in  a street free agent LT and not a RT, where his ineptitude is less dangerous to your QB? The fact that they did not move Moton over to LT at that time speaks volumes.  Anyone who understands OL should have questioned why Moton was not moved to LT.  The only explanation?  They do not think he can play LT--yet these scholars have dubbed Moton, "LT of the Future."

Personally, I think he could be the next LT--but there are no signs that the Panthers do.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I think Moton will be moved to LG and we'll draft a LT. That would be the smart move imo.

We'll need to actually have linemen who can hold up when we go back to throwing the deep ball. Everyone looks great when the ball is coming out fast.

If we re-sign Williams, you could be right. I think they have Moton slated at RT and if Williams gets too pricey, they let him go and stay with Moton. 
I would rather draft a LG and play Moton at LT based on what I have seen, but the Panthers have shown no interest in playing Moton there.

8 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I think Moton will be moved to LG and we'll draft a LT. That would be the smart move imo.

We'll need to actually have linemen who can hold up when we go back to throwing the deep ball. Everyone looks great when the ball is coming out fast.

The smart move is to take a top tackle and make him a left guard and hope a rookie will be a solid LT?

It’s so much easier to find a good guard and cheaper in draft capital. You don’t take a top NFL tackle and make them a guard. That’s what happens to college tackles who can’t play tackle well in the NFL.

Just now, MHS831 said:

If we re-sign Williams, you could be right. I think they have Moton slated at RT and if Williams gets too pricey, they let him go and stay with Moton. 
I would rather draft a LG and play Moton at LT based on what I have seen, but the Panthers have shown no interest in playing Moton there.

If we're going to avoid the deep ball like last season then I'm comfortable with Moton at either tackle spot. If we want to throw the deep ball then I want a better LT than what we have on the roster. I think DEs will go wide around Moton if we try to go deep. I don't think anyone is going through Moton though. That's one mauling son of a bitch.

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

No interest = being the starting LT while Williams was healthy? You continue to say he couldn’t beat out Clark or that you don’t believe that they think Clark was a better LT than RT even though people linked an article with the Panthers saying that exactly that.

Can you honestly say that Moton wasn’t a better LT than Clark or did you not actually watch Moton play LT? I was very interested in Moton in preseason so I watched him and he was far better at LT than Clark and Kalil and his ratings all year prove that out.

I want to see us resign Williams so we actually have two competent NFL tackles and can improve our LG and C, which is very doable in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The smart move is to take a top tackle and make him a left guard and hope a rookie will be a solid LT?

It’s so much easier to find a good guard and cheaper in draft capital. You don’t take a top NFL tackle and make them a guard. That’s what happens to college tackles who can’t play tackle well in the NFL.

The way you word that of course it's not smart. You're throwing "top tackle" around but I don't think of him that way. Please don't reference PFF I don't think they're always right.

Moton doesn't come out of his stance and kick step quick enough for my tastes. He's a little too lumbering. Opposing defenses will see that. DEs will look to get a quick jump and go around him. That problem will show up especially when you go deep. I want the o-line upgraded for premium pass protection.

Just now, pantherj said:

The way you word that of course it's not smart. You're throwing "top tackle" around but I don't think of him that way. Please don't reference PFF I don't think they're always right.

I don’t know any other ratings services and he’s been lauded by other writers and sites.

Finding a top LT in the draft is a crap shoot and takes higher picks. Using pick 16 for a tackle (only if Williams doesn’t resign) is risky. I honestly think there’s a better chance that we find a stud C/G at 47 than a stud T at 16. This year’s tackle class is underwhelming and if we want to contend we can’t take a T and have him be similar to the 9 underwhelming to complete busts Ts taken in the 1st in the past 4 years. Nothing’s guaranteed but we don’t have a good enough team to reach at a position that’s really risky. 

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I don’t know any other ratings services and he’s been lauded by other writers and sites.

Finding a top LT in the draft is a crap shoot and takes higher picks. Using pick 16 for a tackle (only if Williams doesn’t resign) is risky. I honestly think there’s a better chance that we find a stud C/G at 47 than a stud T at 16. This year’s tackle class is underwhelming and if we want to contend we can’t take a T and have him be similar to the 9 underwhelming to complete busts Ts taken in the 1st in the past 4 years. Nothing’s guaranteed but we don’t have a good enough team to reach at a position that’s really risky. 

I don't think we should ever reach. If the Panthers are not high on a LT at 16th, then they can trade down or select a different position. Ideally I'd like a LT in round 1, and a center in r2, but who knows if the value will be there or not? We have no idea who might fall or perform better than expected leading up to the draft.

29 minutes ago, pantherj said:

I don't think we should ever reach. If the Panthers are not high on a LT at 16th, then they can trade down or select a different position. Ideally I'd like a LT in round 1, and a center in r2, but who knows if the value will be there or not? We have no idea who might fall or perform better than expected leading up to the draft.

If we ignore DL we are going to be horrific on D. That’s why I want to go DL (not sure S or CB will be BPA) in the 1st and C/G in the 2nd and T depth later along with DL. All this hinges on a healthy Williams signing so we can use as many  of our first 5 picks (including Norwell comp) on DL along with a stud C/G. DL is so deep that we need to bolster it this draft and I hope we use FA to get our 2nd T and CB/S help. We can use the last two or three picks for more C/Gs or potential Ts.

31 minutes ago, stbugs said:

If we ignore DL we are going to be horrific on D. That’s why I want to go DL (not sure S or CB will be BPA) in the 1st and C/G in the 2nd and T depth later along with DL. All this hinges on a healthy Williams signing so we can use as many  of our first 5 picks (including Norwell comp) on DL along with a stud C/G. DL is so deep that we need to bolster it this draft and I hope we use FA to get our 2nd T and CB/S help. We can use the last two or three picks for more C/Gs or potential Ts.

People have been saying DL is deep, but I think they mean DL is deep for teams that run a 3-4 and can use smaller DEs that we can't. Ultimately I want the BPA at a position of need taken in each round. I'd prioritize o-line because if Cam re-injures his shoulder it won't matter who is on our d-line. Season is over. If we don't have a have a good pass rush, but Cam has time with weapons all around him, then we're going to be ok. In the end BPA. 

7 hours ago, stbugs said:

Oh, btw, I would be extremely happy to share my diplomas with @RoaringRiot (as an extremely reputable person and know IRL) if you’d want to do the same and compare. I’d bet $1000 that my college is ranked much higher than yours.

College don't mean sheet, all bout da net worth

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, pantherj said:

People have been saying DL is deep, but I think they mean DL is deep for teams that run a 3-4 and can use smaller DEs that we can't. Ultimately I want the BPA at a position of need taken in each round. I'd prioritize o-line because if Cam re-injures his shoulder it won't matter who is on our d-line. Season is over. If we don't have a have a good pass rush, but Cam has time with weapons all around him, then we're going to be ok. In the end BPA. 

I don’t see a OT worth a top 25 pick so that would leave that position out in round 1. But there are many DTs, DEs, Thompson(FS) or CBs that are worth that and higher. 

It’s not that one position is more important an issue than the other. But this years OL class doesn’t warrant a pick that high. So you fix the area of need with the actual BPA. Not reaching on a LT. 

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I don’t see a OT worth a top 25 pick so that would leave that position out in round 1. But there are many DTs, DEs, Thompson(FS) or CBs that are worth that and higher. 

It’s not that one position is more important an issue than the other. But this years OL class doesn’t warrant a pick that high. So you fix the area of need with the actual BPA. Not reaching on a LT. 

Yes no reaching. The Panthers may see a LT they like at 16, or maybe not.