Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jesse

Julius Peppers Announces Retirement

awallace96's profile picture

• awallace96

Congratulations on a Hall of Fame career to my teammate and brother @juliuspeppers_! Without a doubt the best athlete I’ve ever witnessed. Thank you for teaching me that leadership isn’t the loudest man in the room. Thank you for allowing me to come along for the ride. Enjoy retirement and I’ll see you in Canton!

If he wins tonight I really hope he reconsiders.

I'd love to see him play with the patch 

Plus I really want 3rd place for him.

https://goheels.com/news/2000/3/29/205469774.aspx

https://www.tarheelblog.com/platform/amp/2019/2/4/18209442/retire-julius-peppers-jersey-unc-panthers-nfl-tar-heel

Julius Peppers belongs right in the discussion among the all-time great athletes, including Michael Jordan, Mia Hamm, Lawrence Taylor, etc., who have come through Chapel Hill based on his collegiate accomplishments alone. Add an exemplary 17-year NFL career, no off-field problems (hi, LT) of note, and a record of community service in his home state?

Julius Peppers is a stone-cold lock first-ballot NFL Hall of Famer.

He should have his #90 jersey retired by the Carolina Panthers in short order.

The University of North Carolina should retire #49 as well.

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Jake-Delhomme-comments-Julius-Peppers-retirement-128674536/Amp/

By the time his NFL career came to a close, Julius Peppers served as the common denominator between eras of Carolina Panthers football. Returning to the Panthers in 2017 to play a role in the Cam Newton-Ron Rivera era of the team, Peppers was a link to the Panthers teams of the 2000s that reached Super Bowl XXXVIII and featured players like Steve Smith, Muhsin Muhammad, and quarterback Jake Delhomme. With Peppers bringing his 17-year NFL career to an end on Friday, Delhomme was among the Panthers players past and present who testified to Peppers' greatness.

Speaking Monday on WFNZ's The Mac Attack, Delhomme began discussing Peppers by recalling his time as a backup for the New Orleans Saints. By the end of his rookie season, Peppers had already become one of the league's most-feared defenders - To the point where the Saints were beyond relieved not to have to play him in the season finale after Peppers was suspended for taking a banned dietary supplement.

"His rookie year in 2002 was my last year in New Orleans. I remember to this day, we're on the practice field and word got out, I believe Julius might've been suspended the last three or four games of the season," said Delhomme. "We were playing them the final game of the season. ... Word got out that he wasn't going to be playing against us, and you could hear the sheer excitement in the coaches' voices. And we weren't even playing them that week!"

Moving on to his time with the Panthers, Delhomme praised how professional Peppers always was, and talked about how Peppers ended up making his teammates better.

"Talking to Jordan Gross a great deal about it, Jordan always says 'He made me good. Average Julius is better a defensive end than I go against all year long,'" said Delhomme. "'Good Julius,' he said, 'I have to be so right in everything that I do so he doesn't embarrass me in practice'. And Jordan would say 'I would get nervous early on going against Julius in practice, just because of how athletic he was and how strong he was and the things that he could do.'"

Beyond Peppers' approach to practice and how he always worked at his craft, Delhomme also pointed out what Peppers was able to do at the defensive end position: How rather than simply being a pure pass rusher, he also was able to drop back into coverage and make plays on the football.

"I just think what he did, he kind of revolutionized that position, so to speak," said Delhomme. "Listen, Bruce Smith was probably the greatest defensive end there was. And then you had that Lawrence Taylor type who could kind of do a lot of what Julius did. ... I think Lawrence Taylor was obviously maybe one of the greatest defensive players ever, Julius Peppers is not far behind. Julius was a great, great football player."

With Peppers joining Delhomme in retirement, the John Fox era of Panthers football continues to recede into the winds of time. As of February 2019, only two players who played under Fox are left on the Panthers' roster: Cornerback Captain Munnerlyn and long snapper J.J. Jansen.

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Brentson-Buckner-Julius-Peppers-comments-128713039/Amp/

"Pep was a different guy as far as athleticism and just being a freak," said Buckner. "I played with a lot of great guys: Jerry Rice, (Terrell Owens), Rod Woodson, those type of guys. Julius Peppers by far is the most freakish athlete I ever played with on the football field. Being as big as he was, tall, could run, could jump."

Peppers' athleticism made an impression not only on Buckner, but also on his current boss. Buckner revealed that during his interview with former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach and current Raiders head coach Jon Gruden, the first thing Gruden asked him was if he remembered a game when the Buccaneers ran a screen pass against the Panthers where running back Michael Pittman had a 30-yard head start - And Peppers caught him like he was standing still to save a touchdown.

"Those are the type of memories people have about him, because you just sit back in awe," said Buckner. "The guy literally did things that you could just not comprehend, that could be humanly possible."

Like other former teammates of Peppers, Buckner also praised Peppers' humility, and how he shied away from becoming a "superstar" despite being a North Carolina-born star athlete playing professional football in his home state. In the same vein, Buckner also gave testimony to how Peppers improved his game after entering the NFL following a college career at the University of North Carolina where he was a two-sport athlete, becoming both a great run defender and pass defender along with his pass-rushing ability.

Overall, Buckner called Peppers not only the best player he played with on the Panthers, but also the most-complete defensive lineman that he played with - Even better than another Hall of Famer that he played with.

"I played with Chris Doleman. And Chris Doleman is a Hall of Famer: Julius Peppers was a way better run defender than Chris Doleman was, and he had just as many sacks," said Buckner.

5 hours ago, PredatorPeppers said:

https://goheels.com/news/2000/3/29/205469774.aspx

https://www.tarheelblog.com/platform/amp/2019/2/4/18209442/retire-julius-peppers-jersey-unc-panthers-nfl-tar-heel

Julius Peppers belongs right in the discussion among the all-time great athletes, including Michael Jordan, Mia Hamm, Lawrence Taylor, etc., who have come through Chapel Hill based on his collegiate accomplishments alone. Add an exemplary 17-year NFL career, no off-field problems (hi, LT) of note, and a record of community service in his home state?

Julius Peppers is a stone-cold lock first-ballot NFL Hall of Famer.

He should have his #90 jersey retired by the Carolina Panthers in short order.

The University of North Carolina should retire #49 as well.

4-game suspension for violation of steroid rules, extremely notable.

Agree that UNC-Cheat should retire his number.  Do not think the Panthers should do so.

Will be very interesting to see if those with Hall-of-Fame votes will abandon protocol and make Julius the first NFL player with a confirmed steroid violation a selection for Canton.