Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Captain Morgan

Devin tweeting about Miami next season

Anyone who didn't think Super Bowl after  reading that  is reaching for a story

Considering Cam's arm last season, I'm not sure Devin is getting a fair evaluation from the fanbase.

I think he's got a lot of upside and if we can get a team-friendly contract with good incentives built in, I'd be glad to see him back. The kid has some good football left in him. Good coaching and Cam at 100% could make him the big possession receiver he is built to be.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Considering Cam's arm last season, I'm not sure Devin is getting a fair evaluation from the fanbase.

I think he's got a lot of upside and if we can get a team-friendly contract with good incentives built in, I'd be glad to see him back. The kid has some good football left in him. Good coaching and Cam at 100% could make him the big possession receiver he is built to be.

The issue is... this "big possession receiver" still with "upside" took far too many snaps away from those more deserving and dynamic.

21 minutes ago, ChibCU said:

The issue is... this "big possession receiver" still with "upside" took far too many snaps away from those more deserving and dynamic.

It's hard to be the big receiver when the QB is struggling to get the ball more than 15 yards down the field. And during all of this, he never once threw Cam under the bus. He did have a couple of crucial drops, but he had some crucial catches, too.

We have to look at last season as an outlier. Cam wasn't at his best (let's face it, Cam's long game has been one of the best in the league) and to adjust for his limits CMC, Samuel and Moore were the best targets. All three of those guys really shined and made the most of what Cam could give them. Funchess, however, outperformed the other receivers on the roster with the possible exception of Jarius Wright. 

Carolina needs a good WR3 who is familiar with the season and can be a big target. He doesn't have to be fast, he just has to be willing to fight for the ball and maybe throw a "legal" pick or two. Basically the role that Ricky Proehl used to provide for us. I think Funchess is still the best one for that job and the right contract could benefit both parties for years to come.

There's no doubt that Moore and Samuel didn't just make the case for, but locked down the starting receiver positions. Keep Funchess, who is still quite young, and you could have your receivers set for the next three to four years at good rates and great returns. Going out and shopping for just that guy, though, could get expensive and frustrating fast.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

It's hard to be the big receiver when the QB is struggling to get the ball more than 15 yards down the field. And during all of this, he never once threw Cam under the bus. He did have a couple of crucial drops, but he had some crucial catches, too.

We have to look at last season as an outlier. Cam wasn't at his best (let's face it, Cam's long game has been one of the best in the league) and to adjust for his limits CMC, Samuel and Moore were the best targets. All three of those guys really shined and made the most of what Cam could give them. Funchess, however, outperformed the other receivers on the roster with the possible exception of Jarius Wright. 

Carolina needs a good WR3 who is familiar with the season and can be a big target. He doesn't have to be fast, he just has to be willing to fight for the ball and maybe throw a "legal" pick or two. Basically the role that Ricky Proehl used to provide for us. I think Funchess is still the best one for that job and the right contract could benefit both parties for years to come.

There's no doubt that Moore and Samuel didn't just make the case for, but locked down the starting receiver positions. Keep Funchess, who is still quite young, and you could have your receivers set for the next three to four years at good rates and great returns. Going out and shopping for just that guy, though, could get expensive and frustrating fast.

Proehl is 6ft tall so I don't follow how you are comparing him to Funchess regarding role. Also, Funchess isn't a deep threat because he gets no separation. Maybe Cam's intermediate game declined as well, but Funchess isn't walking down the field fast enough to be a deep threat.

Jarius Wright is a far better possession receiver. What we're looking at here is a WR4 guy that will barely see the field. I have a feeling that Funchess will not be content with the fall from a WR1 all the way down to WR4.

59 minutes ago, ChibCU said:

Proehl is 6ft tall so I don't follow how you are comparing him to Funchess regarding role. Also, Funchess isn't a deep threat because he gets no separation. Maybe Cam's intermediate game declined as well, but Funchess isn't walking down the field fast enough to be a deep threat.

Jarius Wright is a far better possession receiver. What we're looking at here is a WR4 guy that will barely see the field. I have a feeling that Funchess will not be content with the fall from a WR1 all the way down to WR4.

"walking" lol!!!   :poison::)

we need an lol emoji @Jeremy Igo

Funchess had a few bad plays, but he's had some really good plays too - even this season. 

The issue is, he'll be too expensive to be the 4th or 5th receiving option. Particularly when our staff has admitted to having problems deciding how to manage snaps for 2 RBs (CMC or CJ), or getting the ball to 2 WRs (Moore or Samuel). 

On 2/5/2019 at 6:44 AM, Khyber53 said:

hi did you watch the Detroit game?