Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Morgan

Cam talks about his surgery (video)

3 hours ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

you're so mad that the news is positive lmao

Sure appears you are afraid to talk about bone spurs....

7 minutes ago, GeorgeHanson said:

Sure appears you are afraid to talk about bone spurs....

afraid of what? a connected nfl writer reported what his sources told him. you're really mad that there's a ton of optimism following the surgery. go find a team with a quarterback that's Plays The Game The Right Way. cam is here to stay, dork.

If the the issue is cartilage damage/labrum

thats the kiss of death for a throwing arm. That shoulder will never be the same. 

I know an elbow isn't a shoulder (though both are critical to throwing I imagine the shoulder is much trickier and has more moving parts), but a few years back I had to have a procedure done to my right elbow that sounds like much the same thing they did to Cam's shoulder, i.e. cleaning out the joint, debridement of the tendon(s), except that my procedure wasn't arthroscopic, they had to open me up.

I'm right handed and prior to the procedure, for almost 2 years, I could barely use my right hand and arm.  Couldn't open a jar.  Even picking up a pen and writing was painful.  I learned to use my left arm A LOT during that time (except for writing).

Getting that clean-out and debridement was like night-and-day, before and after.  The physical therapy sucked afterwards, but it was all worth it.

If Cam gets 90% of the relief from his procedure that I got from mine, he's gonna feel great and play great.

21 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

It all sounds good. Hope it works out for him this season. The Panthers still need a serious contingency if it doesn't.

Yes, that contingency should be "replacing him by using a 1st round draft choice in 2020" (damn I don't even like saying those words), not "paying more money for an average journeyman backup QB that might win you a couple of games and ultimately give you less of a chance of replacing him by pushing your draft choice deeper into the 1st".

What is articular cartilage damage and what it means for Cam Newton. 

The articular cartilage damage could be from trauma, the shoulder shifting or uneven wear due to loss of motion (much like the tread on your tires can show uneven wear if the wheels are not properly aligned/balanced). The most common location for the cartilage damage is on the glenoid (socket) side, as opposed to the humeral head (ball) side.

Range of motion loss could be from several issues, including the tight timeline to return after March 2017 rotator cuff surgery. The importance of loss of motion on throwing power is like how one can’t hit a golf ball very far without a full backswing. The loss of motion could also have caused the stress leading to cartilage damage.

The main hope is for return of full motion and that there is no progression of arthritis. Loss of motion occurs over many months. The return of motion can take a jump with surgery but will require many months of physical therapy to fully return.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-cam-newton-shoulder-youtube-surgery-0208-story.html

1 hour ago, countryboi said:

March 2017 rotator cuff surgery

When it could have been done in, say, FUGGING JANUARY, right Ron?

Rivera is a coach with a tiny brain that finds thinking beyond the immediate present painful if not impossible.

9 hours ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

afraid of what? a connected nfl writer reported what his sources told him. you're really mad that there's a ton of optimism following the surgery. go find a team with a quarterback that's Plays The Game The Right Way. cam is here to stay, dork.

Bone spurs, that's what you are afraid of.

Your butt-buddy Charles Robinson reported "scar tissue" and "bone spurs", all dealt with in a "routine" procedure --- following that report, you did a gleeful victory lap!  After that, the spin started and Rowboat's official comments ignored "bone spurs", and by all appearances, Cam has as well.

Bob Jim, are you willing to acknowledge that Cam Newton has had "bone spurs" surgically removed from his shoulder?  Or, are you going to retract your prior endorsement of Charles Robinson and his "sources", and say they got it wrong?

Which will it be? 

9 hours ago, Rubi said:

If the the issue is cartilage damage/labrum

thats the kiss of death for a throwing arm. That shoulder will never be the same. 

Yes - when they said no issues with the labrum or rotator cuff it made me feel much better.  I can testify (can I get an Amen?) that having cartilage cleaned up and removed can give you back full range of motion and you don't have any pain when you throw a ball and that cartilage gets caught between your AC joint! 

This is really good news.  As Igo says though, we need to fix the D!  I'm more worried about the D-line now than the secondary, although one contributes to worrying about the other.  We have to get pressure on the opposing QB and 23 year old Julius Peppers ain't walking through our door.

This news is significant for several reasons.

It confirms the loss of range of motion, indicates the rotator cuff and labrum are not involved and, most important, it elucidates a new injury to the cartilage.

Injury to cartilage in the shoulder likely means there is damage to his articular cartilage. That is the covering over the end of bones in his shoulder joint, which is comparable to how grass on a football field (articular cartilage) covers the underlying dirt. This, by definition, is arthritis, which can be defined as any wear and tear or injury to the articular cartilage.

The damage was said to be "pretty small." No one wants to have any damage, but just because there is some wear and tear on the tread of your ties, it doesn't necessarily mean your car won’t handle well anymore.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-cam-newton-shoulder-youtube-surgery-0208-story.html

On 2/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, bandu said:

u think the Panthers can win without Cam?

i don't see it happening not in this league.

With a decent QB they would win just as many games.  Cams not the entire team like some think he is.