• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

ncfan

Mitch Kupchak post deadline presser

2 hours ago, Thelt said:

Drafting higher has not helped much.  Poor talent evaluation has been our downfall.  Making bad draft picks and overpaying free agents is how you get to NBA purgatory.  Tanking will not cure that, it only gives you another shot at it. 

Having a chance is better than not having a chance. Picking 10 to 15 is not the same as picking 1 to 5. It is much easier to score good talent early in the draft. It is common sense. There is no guarantee that picking early will cure all of our ills but it will at least give us a shot. Mitch is smarter than Cho when it comes to talent evaluation. 

I think tanking could be in the cards, regardless of if we want it to or not. I would rather have Mitch doing the evaluations if that does come to pass.

I still think that is the best chance of getting another elite talent because I honestly don't see Charlotte being a likely destination for top tier free agents.

It would be great to be wrong, however.

15 hours ago, bull123 said:

id give up monk for beal in a heartbeat...the wiz are nowhere near close to making a deal like that

No but that could change by summer.  If they decide to rebuild then expiring contracts plus Monk plus a draft pick might sound good to them.  Rebuilding teams do not like to take back salary.  We will soon have expiring contracts to work with.

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I think tanking could be in the cards, regardless of if we want it to or not. I would rather have Mitch doing the evaluations if that does come to pass.

I still think that is the best chance of getting another elite talent because I honestly don't see Charlotte being a likely destination for top tier free agents.

It would be great to be wrong, however.

We got an elite talent in the last tank.  Kemba is that guy, or as close as we have ever gotten.  The problem is you need more than one to build a consistent winner.  We had 6 picks in the top ten over five years and only got one star.  Another tank does not guarantee anything.

Just now, Thelt said:

No but that could change by summer.  If they decide to rebuild then expiring contracts plus Monk plus a draft pick might sound good to them.  Rebuilding teams do not like to take back salary.  We will soon have expiring contracts to work with.

This years draft is so top heavy...I would absolutely consider giving up our #1 pick if we could parlay it into something....I really like Beal, but I was hoping to get Barnes, he would have been a great fit for us

29 minutes ago, Thelt said:

We got an elite talent in the last tank.  Kemba is that guy, or as close as we have ever gotten.  The problem is you need more than one to build a consistent winner.  We had 6 picks in the top ten over five years and only got one star.  Another tank does not guarantee anything.

It isn't a guarantee but I suspect we performed far, far worse than average for a team with those picks over that time period. That really speaks to how poor we drafted more than anything else. Which, most of us at the time were pretty appalled at quite a few of the picks. I know I was. 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It isn't a guarantee but I suspect we performed far, far worse than average for a team with those picks over that time period. That really speaks to how poor we drafted more than anything else. Which, most of us at the time were pretty appalled at quite a few of the picks. I know I was. 

I agree, we drafted worse than the norm.  Talent evaluation is key to building a good team.  Hopefully Mitch is better at it than Cho was.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, bull123 said:

This years draft is so top heavy...I would absolutely consider giving up our #1 pick if we could parlay it into something....I really like Beal, but I was hoping to get Barnes, he would have been a great fit for us

I think the reason we struck out at the trade deadline was that no one wanted anyone we could send back to make the salaries match.  Next year our bad contracts will be a lot better than what they are right now, just because they will be expiring.  I think we can have success trading next year.  It stinks but our hole was too deep to get out of this year.

3 hours ago, Thelt said:

I agree, we drafted worse than the norm.  Talent evaluation is key to building a good team.  Hopefully Mitch is better at it than Cho was.

I dont think Cho was the main issue, I think it is and always has been MJ. So many stories of MJ overriding the coaching and scouting staff to make them pick a player he likes. Donovan Mitchell would be a Hornet if not for MJ, probably a dozen other stories as well. 

1 hour ago, carpanfan96 said:

I dont think Cho was the main issue, I think it is and always has been MJ. So many stories of MJ overriding the coaching and scouting staff to make them pick a player he likes. Donovan Mitchell would be a Hornet if not for MJ, probably a dozen other stories as well. 

That could be the case.  It makes no sense for someone of Mitch's stature to take the job under those circumstances though.  I heard something like that about why we took DJ instead of Lopez.

2 hours ago, Thelt said:

That could be the case.  It makes no sense for someone of Mitch's stature to take the job under those circumstances though.  I heard something like that about why we took DJ instead of Lopez.

Mitch might have come in and said if I take the job I have control. I think he was lied too though, I have a sinking feeling that Kemba would've been traded for assets last season if not for MJ backtracking. Have to see what they do in the offseason to be sure but Bridges felt like a Mitch pick to me and not an MJ one. 

18 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Mitch might have come in and said if I take the job I have control. I think he was lied too though, I have a sinking feeling that Kemba would've been traded for assets last season if not for MJ backtracking. Have to see what they do in the offseason to be sure but Bridges felt like a Mitch pick to me and not an MJ one. 

Last year would have been the time to move Kemba, if we were going to.  We could have gotten the most value at that time.  I thought that it would happen and that Cleveland would be our trade partner.  Kemba would have been a big help to Lebron and that Cavs team.  They had a high draft pick to send us back.  Maybe we got a decent player back too.  Kemba and Dwight for something like Clarkson and Thompson plus the draft pick would have helped both teams.  Maybe MJ did over rule it.  If he did it was probably because of the all star game and wanting Kemba here for it.  The league screwed us again by taking away the game to start with.  Regardless of how anyone feels about the bathroom law, the Hornets did not deserve to be punished for it.

14 minutes ago, Thelt said:

Last year would have been the time to move Kemba, if we were going to.  We could have gotten the most value at that time.  I thought that it would happen and that Cleveland would be our trade partner.  Kemba would have been a big help to Lebron and that Cavs team.  They had a high draft pick to send us back.  Maybe we got a decent player back too.  Kemba and Dwight for something like Clarkson and Thompson plus the draft pick would have helped both teams.  Maybe MJ did over rule it.  If he did it was probably because of the all star game and wanting Kemba here for it.  The league screwed us again by taking away the game to start with.  Regardless of how anyone feels about the bathroom law, the Hornets did not deserve to be punished for it.

I hope none of those decisions had to do with wanting Kemba here for the All-Star game. People would go to the All-Star game regardless of if Kemba was on the roster or on the Hornets. That would be an insanely stupid decision.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

I hope none of those decisions had to do with wanting Kemba here for the All-Star game. People would go to the All-Star game regardless of if Kemba was on the roster or on the Hornets. That would be an insanely stupid decision.

I would not be surprised to learn it was true.  MJ wants a player in the all star game when it is hosted in Charlotte. 

1 hour ago, Thelt said:

I would not be surprised to learn it was true.  MJ wants a player in the all star game when it is hosted in Charlotte. 

Yeah but as an owner that wouldn't even make good business sense if you have the opportunity to improve a franchise and make it successful long term. Jordan may not be a good owner but he is not an idiot.