• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Mr. Scot

The Draft may have just gotten interesting

Awesome. Another potential QB going before #16.

I really want to see this guy in the NFL. I want to see if he can make the transition. I always do. Vick, Cam, Russell Wilson, The Golden Calf of Bristol, Johnny Manziel, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield. I'm always interested to see if these college superstar QBs who are non-traditional in NFL terms can make the transition.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I really want to see this guy in the NFL. I want to see if he can make the transition. I always do. Vick, Cam, Russell Wilson, The Golden Calf of Bristol, Johnny Manziel, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield. I'm always interested to see if these college superstar QBs who are non-traditional in NFL terms can make the transition.

Given this guy's size, the best role model here might be Doug Flutie.

• Pie 1

The big question: Do you pass him up if he is available at 16? (For the record I would not, because I want Cam to get healthy and to retire as a panther and reach the hall of fame.) it would be interesting and possibly a way to pick up more draft picks if he falls to ya and someone wants to trade up. 

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They do make for some of the most interesting football, not always the best, but they are rarely boring!

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

The big question: Do you pass him up if he is available at 16? (For the record I would not, because I want Cam to get healthy and to retire as a panther and reach the hall of fame.) it would be interesting and possibly a way to pick up more draft picks if he falls to ya and someone wants to trade up. 

I'd definitely be listening to offers if the top pass rushers were gone.

I'd seriously consider taking him at 16. Hopefully Cam gets healthy and then you've got extra assets at QB but in the worst case scenario that he never fully recovers his shoulder, you may have the next franchise guy. Murray is a freaking beast. I bet he goes top 10, maybe top 5 though.

If he's there at 16, jump. Let Cam take a year off, and we can either trade Murray or keep him later.

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Recently learned who that is.  Funny to me every time I see it now.

It's going to depend on how well he works out.  While guys like Brees and Wilson have shown that smaller QBs can be excellent QBs, he's smaller still.  He's going to have to go to the right team.  He's also going to have to show he can throw with anticipation along with your general accuracy and velocity.

If he's able to show that, along with his athleticism, I can see some team needing a QB going after him.

From Walter Football:

NFL teams all soured on Russell Wilson leading up to the 2012 NFL Draft despite the fact that Wilson had more experience and was more accomplished than Kyler Murray over a longer span. While Wilson didn't win the Heisman, he probably would have if he played in the Big XII. Instead, Wilson thrived in two conferences where teams actually play some sort of defense. Despite this, Wilson fell to the third round. Now, just because Wilson has been an exception rather than the rule, Murray is somehow expected to be chosen in the opening round even though he's two inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than Wilson!

None of this makes any sense, especially when factoring in Murray's lack of starting experience, his extremely easy schedule this past season against all of the woeful Big XII defenses, his struggles against Alabama prior to garbage time, and the fact that teams may not be convinced that he's going to dedicate himself to football with baseball being a possibility. All of these things are strikes against Murray, which was relayed to me by an NFC personnel man I spoke to on Friday afternoon. I asked him about Murray, and while he expressed concern about his size, it was his dedication to football that was the major concern.

"Murray should probably go on Day 2, but will probably go in the first round because he's a hot name," the personnel man said. "We assumed he was going into baseball because of Scott Boras, so no one wrote up any reports on him."