• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Eazy-E

I am sorry but James Borrego sucks.

5 hours ago, Thelt said:

So you prefer to make the playoffs and losing in the first round to making the playoffs less often but actually making it to the finals? 

Shinn's Charlotte Hornets won first round playoff series on 4 different occasions.... #FakeNews on your part.  (oh wait, were you describing Ol' Trainers Bobcats when speaking of the 1st round losses?)

Yes, winning seasons 7 out of 9 years (with NO losing seasons) appeals to me a lot more than winning seasons 7 out of 24 years.....for sure.

Edited by GeorgeHanson

5 hours ago, Thelt said:

LJ might have been worth it if not for his back injury.  Shinn could have stepped up and paid Alonzo if he wanted to.  You do not let a hall of fame player leave in his prime. 

If Air Train Wreck lets Kemba leave what will your reaction be?

As an aside, all this Shinn talk reminds me of what a great GM Bob Bass was, especially working within Shinn's budget. When it was time to deal Mourning, he got a pretty decent haul from Miami. And when it was time for Glen Rice to go, he managed to come up with Eddie Jones. Not to mention flipping a diminished LJ for Anthony Mason. 

Bob Bass might have traded Kobe Bryant, but he did so much more with Charlotte Hornets

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, djp14 said:

As an aside, all this Shinn talk reminds me of what a great GM Bob Bass was, especially working within Shinn's budget. When it was time to deal Mourning, he got a pretty decent haul from Miami. And when it was time for Glen Rice to go, he managed to come up with Eddie Jones. Not to mention flipping a diminished LJ for Anthony Mason. 

Bob Bass might have traded Kobe Bryant, but he did so much more with Charlotte Hornets

Shinn hired smart basketball people and let them do their job...

...Air Train Wreck hires yes men and his butt buddies, and micromanages their every move --- recipe for failure (as his track record since 2006 illustrates).

Edited by GeorgeHanson
  • Pie 2

Bob Bass was a good GM.  He did well given the limitation placed on him by a cheapskate owner.  Imagine if he had worked for an owner willing to pay what it took to keep great players.

Interesting observation there.

Where does Jordan go from here?  Is he going to get his checkbook out and chase some top-talent and get deep into the luxury tax?

The two biggest luxury tax payors have been Mark Cuban and James Dolan. 

Cuban, a VERY smart individual who made all his money on his own and his NBA team produced a long string of playoff appearances culminating in an NBA Championship. 

Dolan, who is a big dummy and inherited his wealth has put up a track record of futility that's simply embarrassing.

What will Jordan do from here? 

TAX2015-1.jpg

12 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

Interesting observation there.

Where does Jordan go from here?  Is he going to get his checkbook out and chase some top-talent and get deep into the luxury tax?

The two biggest luxury tax payors have been Mark Cuban and James Dolan. 

Cuban, a VERY smart individual who made all his money on his own and his NBA team produced a long string of playoff appearances culminating in an NBA Championship. 

Dolan, who is a big dummy and inherited his wealth has put up a track record of futility that's simply embarrassing.

What will Jordan do from here? 

TAX2015-1.jpg

To me this is not hard.  It all hinges on Kemba.  If he returns then you continue to try to build a winner around him.  We have over $40 million in expiring contracts to work with next season, assuming everyone opts in.  Even after extending Kemba that is enough to add at least one solid player.  Maybe we throw in Monk or a draft pick to make it work.  Kemba and another all star player should be enough to get us in the playoffs comfortably each year.

If Kemba leaves then you go full blown tank and start the rebuild.  Those expiring contracts still have value and might net you some good draft picks and or young players from other teams wanting to shed salary.  You do things like trading the expiring contracts for other worse contracts but get high draft picks and or promising young players back.  Under this strategy you do not plan to compete for two or three years.

12 hours ago, Thelt said:

To me this is not hard.  It all hinges on Kemba.  If he returns then you continue to try to build a winner around him.  We have over $40 million in expiring contracts to work with next season, assuming everyone opts in.  Even after extending Kemba that is enough to add at least one solid player.  Maybe we throw in Monk or a draft pick to make it work.  Kemba and another all star player should be enough to get us in the playoffs comfortably each year.

If Kemba leaves then you go full blown tank and start the rebuild.  Those expiring contracts still have value and might net you some good draft picks and or young players from other teams wanting to shed salary.  You do things like trading the expiring contracts for other worse contracts but get high draft picks and or promising young players back.  Under this strategy you do not plan to compete for two or three years.

Even if Kemba does re-sign given the long-term track record why would any All-Star caliber player sign with Michael Jordan?  Any particular names that come to mind? 

Back to the money thing, do you think Jordan would deign to make some healthy luxury tax payments in order to put the best possible product on the floor?  Mark Cuban has certainly do so, can't paint him as a cheapskate.  Will Jordan step up to the plate with his checkbook?

16 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

Even if Kemba does re-sign given the long-term track record why would any All-Star caliber player sign with Michael Jordan?  Any particular names that come to mind? 

Back to the money thing, do you think Jordan would deign to make some healthy luxury tax payments in order to put the best possible product on the floor?  Mark Cuban has certainly do so, can't paint him as a cheapskate.  Will Jordan step up to the plate with his checkbook?

I think we trade for an all star if we get one next season.  Maybe the Wizards decide to tank and trade us Beal for expiring contracts and draft picks.  Other guys that might be obtainable that way?  Love, Drummond and Griffin spring to mind.  I do not see us signing one in free agency.

As far as Jordan going deep into the luxury tax I do not see it.  Cuban would not do it with this team either.  If the team were on the verge of contending for a ring maybe you do that but this team is nowhere close.  Almost no owner is going deep into the luxury tax so his team can be a sixth seed in the east.

My gut says Kemba is leaving and we are going to be tanking next season and for a season or two after that.

• Pie 1

When it comes to spending, the Hornets have been in the top half of the league for the past 3 years. Hell, they were 10th in payroll in 2016/17.

Being cheap isn't the reason we suck.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Thelt said:

I think we trade for an all star if we get one next season.  Maybe the Wizards decide to tank and trade us Beal for expiring contracts and draft picks.  Other guys that might be obtainable that way?  Love, Drummond and Griffin spring to mind.  I do not see us signing one in free agency.

As far as Jordan going deep into the luxury tax I do not see it.  Cuban would not do it with this team either.  If the team were on the verge of contending for a ring maybe you do that but this team is nowhere close.  Almost no owner is going deep into the luxury tax so his team can be a sixth seed in the east.

My gut says Kemba is leaving and we are going to be tanking next season and for a season or two after that.

Getting into the luxury tax zone in  order to put the best possible product onto the floor isn't a one year proposition, doesn't hinge on "this team".

Mark Cuban paid a luxury tax bill for 9 consecutive seasons which resulted in an NBA Championship in 2010-2011.  In fact, his luxury tax bill was in excess of $17 million for 7 of those 9 seasons and averaged $17 million during that time frame.

Michael Jordan has paid exactly $0.00 in luxury tax payments, period.

When Jordan first bought into the team (2006) Cuban said "Welcome to my world, Michael, get out the checkbook." .....Jordan has failed to do so.

http://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=2486172

In order for this franchise domiciled in this town to compete in the NBA it needs a deep pocketed owner like Mark Cuban who is willing to write big checks, and a lot of them, to attract top tier talent -- it's all about the benjamins guys.

Jordan doesn't have the checkbook required.

@djp14

TAX2015-1.jpg

I originally faulted Borrego but if we're being honest we've had five different coaches (Larry Brown, Paul Silas, Mike Dunlap, Steve Clifford, and James Borrego) since Jordan bought a majority stake in the Charlotte basketball franchise.

Larry Brown put it best:

"It was the worst," Brown said during an interview on the Dan Patrick show this week. "And when your hero [Jordan] fires you... I just couldn't believe it. You know I love the guy, think he's brilliant, but he's around people who don't have a clue. And they won't challenge him."

As a Carolina fan I love Michael, but man he has ruined any potential this franchise had. It would be one thing if his "big name" presence drew in big time free agents but the best we've been able to do during Jordan's tenure is Al Jefferson and he gave credit to Kemba for recruiting him.

You couple his drafting habits with some of the awful free agent signings we've had and it's no wonder we are a poo show. 

There is a not a team that has a worse future (on paper) than the Charlotte Hornets.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

On 3/8/2019 at 12:35 AM, GeorgeHanson said:

Shinn hired smart basketball people and let them do their job...

...Air Train Wreck hires yes men and his butt buddies, and micromanages their every move --- recipe for failure (as his track record since 2006 illustrates).

Smartest thing Ive read in over a 15 months

• Beer 1