Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

Reparations Roll Call: Sign up here!

There's a very important push going on right now demanding reparations for American descendants of slaves.  This will be the most important movement since the Civil Rights Era, and the most valuable for our generation.  I'm sure there are older folks who look back on the Civil Rights Movement, and wish they took part in it.  When you think about it, what little moral sense this country has right now, was birthed from that movement.  Now it's our turn, and imagine the greater morality that will be birthed when reparations is passed.  It will be hope for all oppressed groups who have their own claims around the world.  The ramifications run that deep.

Now before you sign on and join the advocacy of reparations (particularly during this election cycle), understand what true reparations looks like.  If you're in favor of reparations that will only give black Americans a tax break, that isn't reparations.  If you believe reparations would look like a general investment into poor black communities such as schooling, no, that won't do.  A real investment of reparations will be something worth in the trillions of dollars, and would span a period of years. (Obviously you can't give trillions of dollars in one go)  So that is what we are advocating for.  If you don't agree with that understanding of reparations, you can't sign up here.  If you want to be a part of something historical, let me see a show of hands here in this thread.  I'll begin.

Reparations Roll Call........

Matthias here!

• Beer 1

america can't be any kind of a meritocracy until everyone's got the same equity of knowledge and money at their disposal. wealth is hereditary and black people were robbed of its power generationally. all decent human beings should be willing to give a few bucks out of their paycheck or melt down a few F-35s to right a historic wrong and make society equally advantageous for everyone.

count me in

• Pie 2

That isn't a good answer I know.  But it is true and a lot of it would have to do with how it was structured.  

I'm 100% in on higher marginal tax rates, a better social safety net, a guaranteed minimum income, free higher education, and targeted community investments with public moneys.  Not gentrifying but real investments into poor communities FOR THOSE communities.  Not to just price "undesirables" out of an area to benefit wealthy developers. 

But direct capital reparations to descendants of slaves.... I just don't know yet and would probably depend on how it would really be structured.

So my answer is I don't know.  Not the best answer but an honest one. 

• Pie 3

Fine with me. Will do much more to stimulate the economy than giving more money to billionaires 

• Pie 4

55 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Can we include Native Americans as well?   

They would have to make a separate claim from ours.

41 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Fine with me. Will do much more to stimulate the economy than giving more money to billionaires 

it'll all end up back in the hands of billionaires eventually anyway. but as long as we have to have the system we have, i reckon we should prop up as much scaffolding as we can to keep it from crumbling. that's all social programs are. scaffolding to keep capitalism from completely destroying the working class as is its nature to do.

reparations are a great and much deserved step.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

They would have to make a separate claim from ours.

That's too bad, they don't have near the amount of support from their populations being decimated.     Also, adding in Native Americans could help with the branding and getting something passed.    But, yeah I'd be ok with something like this but the specifics would be hard to nail down and sadly, I don't think it would ever get enough support.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

That's too bad, they don't have near the amount of support from their populations being decimated.     Also, adding in Native Americans could help with the branding and getting something passed.    But, yeah I'd be ok with something like this but the specifics would be hard to nail down and sadly, I don't think it would ever get enough support.

I feel like this may weaken the claims of black folks because Native Americans have gotten some funding from the government. that said i am 100 behind reparations even if it was just free college education for multiple generations.  Black slaves built this country and their decedent have nothing to show for it but higher incarceration rates.

• Beer 1

On the fact of it, I would say I'm onboard. However, like Teeray, there are many questions which need to be answered and processes explained before I could fully commit.

And, by the way, there is someone else ahead of you in line- the Native Americans. So while I agree it's time, I admit that I get a little salty when I read your words, "It's our turn..." when this country has yet to even admit how badly they fugged over Native Americans.

17 minutes ago, countryboi said:

I feel like this may weaken the claims of black folks because Native Americans have gotten some funding from the government. that said i am 100 behind reparations even if it was just free college education for multiple generations.  Black slaves built this country and their decedent have nothing to show for it but higher incarceration rates.

And again for the purposes of this roll call, the investment of reparations will be in the trillions.  Free education by itself wouldn't mean a whole lot if you can't plug it anywhere.  Data shows even black Americans with a college degree, have less wealth than white Americans with only a high school degree.

Edited by Matthias