Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

Reparations Roll Call: Sign up here!

Recommended Posts

I'm curious about 2 things on the DL Huntley story.

1. Was his agent Black or White?

2. Did he even have an idea what his house would be worth (aka, what are his neighbor's houses selling at)?

To answer question 2, it takes just a few minutes to look at the county website or zillion/trulia. I guess he believed he didn't have 15 minutes to save himself $125k. Should have listened to the Geico commercial.

A few years ago, I asked an agent to list my house. He came back and said we should list it at price X. I countered saying, I believe the house is worth X+$25k. Agent says,  I don't think it will sell. My answer to him, that's the only price I'm willing to accept. House was listed at X+$25k and sold in 10 days at listed price.

Was the agent Racist? You decide. 

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


23 hours ago, Matthias said:

How in the world does a white high school dropout have more wealth at the median, than a black college grad?  With the degree, you're supposed to be able to get a good job and afford a home, which today is the primary measure of our wealth in society.  What we see here is that education doesn't overcome what has been done to us in this country historically.

Can you break it down in the type of college grads? Not every degree is equal. A degree in STEM is not the same as a degree in African American studies. I hope you actually know that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JoePanther said:

I'm curious about 2 things on the DL Huntley story.

1. Was his agent Black or White?

2. Did he even have an idea what his house would be worth (aka, what are his neighbor's houses selling at)?

To answer question 2, it takes just a few minutes to look at the county website or zillion/trulia. I guess he believed he didn't have 15 minutes to save himself $125k. Should have listened to the Geico commercial.

A few years ago, I asked an agent to list my house. He came back and said we should list it at price X. I countered saying, I believe the house is worth X+$25k. Agent says,  I don't think it will sell. My answer to him, that's the only price I'm willing to accept. House was listed at X+$25k and sold in 10 days at listed price.

Was the agent Racist? You decide. 

So redlining and it's effects didn't happen because of your experience?  Of course while 25k is a lot, there's a major difference between that and 125k.  It's this kind of response that shows you wish to silence a suffering community.  Either that, or you have on rose-colored glasses.

 

10 hours ago, JoePanther said:

Can you break it down in the type of college grads? Not every degree is equal. A degree in STEM is not the same as a degree in African American studies. I hope you actually know that. 

What's to break down?  First of all, remember, the data says white high school dropouts have more wealth than black Americans with a 4 year degree.  So even if every black American only have degrees in African American studies, they still went to college for crying out loud.  That has to mean something.  That certainly should allow you to be better off than someone who dropped out of high school.  Come on man!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JoePanther said:

They are begging other people to run for office on their issue. 12 months from now the same people will say "She does not have the ADOS experience, how can she even speak for us ". See CK7, see Mr. King, see Sheila Jackson, see Obama... and the list goes on and on. We have seen it time and time again. We know the routine. 

If you believe something matters to you, you do it yourself.

We are? Why do you feel that everyone who feels a certain way about an issue should run for office?

Edited by 332nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JoePanther said:

I'm curious about 2 things on the DL Huntley story.

1. Was his agent Black or White?

2. Did he even have an idea what his house would be worth (aka, what are his neighbor's houses selling at)?

To answer question 2, it takes just a few minutes to look at the county website or zillion/trulia. I guess he believed he didn't have 15 minutes to save himself $125k. Should have listened to the Geico commercial.

A few years ago, I asked an agent to list my house. He came back and said we should list it at price X. I countered saying, I believe the house is worth X+$25k. Agent says,  I don't think it will sell. My answer to him, that's the only price I'm willing to accept. House was listed at X+$25k and sold in 10 days at listed price.

Was the agent Racist? You decide. 

15 years ago I brought a condo in Florida so we had a place to stay while my wife went to grad school. I of course took her with me.

My agent was cool, but several of the sellers' agents we're confused as to why I seemed to be the buyer instead of her.

She even stormed out of a place we really liked because the seller took her aside and tried to convince her not to put me on the loan as it would "hurt her chances."

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JoePanther said:

Can you break it down in the type of college grads? Not every degree is equal. A degree in STEM is not the same as a degree in African American studies. I hope you actually know that. 

Law & public policy are #1 with 15%

Psychology & social work 12%

Health field 10%

Social sciences 9%

Computers, statistics, math 9%

Communications & journalism 9%

Etc...

Humanities & liberal arts is at 6%. That's where African American studies would be, so of we were super generous and guessed that out of all of the humanities & liberal arts fields, 1/2 of black students went into African American studies. That accounts for 3%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even when African Americans get degrees in the “all mighty” STEM fields, they’re still not getting hired at the same clip their white counterparts are.

Theres also more African American STEM grads not working in their field than any other group; as we were at a 32% underemployed rate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/washington.cbslocal.com/2014/05/27/study-black-college-graduates-twice-as-likely-to-be-unemployed/amp/

In fact, our graduates have been trailing whites in employment for decades. What’s the problem? And now that everyone is doing bad, now there’s a big push for these universal policies? What we do know is that whites and other minorities, outside of blacks, tend to go conservative in their voting as they age, and start earning more. We’ll see how these white millennials vote once the trillions in inheritance is passed down.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 332nd said:

We are? Why do you feel that everyone who feels a certain way about an issue should run for office?

Not everyone should run for President. But out of 40millions ADOS, not a single one is running on this issue? This is pathetic. And you know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matthias said:

So redlining and it's effects didn't happen because of your experience?  Of course while 25k is a lot, there's a major difference between that and 125k.  It's this kind of response that shows you wish to silence a suffering community.  Either that, or you have on rose-colored glasses

I didn't say redlining didn't happen. I'm trying to see if someone making a dumb decision, then blame redlining supports or hurts the case. Because racism does exist doesn't every situation where a Black person is refused a job is because of racism. 

Mr. Pro-Black DL Huntley wants to sell a house, he hires a Non-Black agent? I'm assuming here that the Agent isn't Black. How can you be pro-black and divest resources from the community? Then, the man has no clue about the value of his house...Because he is too busy to look it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoePanther said:

I didn't say redlining didn't happen. I'm trying to see if someone making a dumb decision, then blame redlining supports or hurts the case. Because racism does exist doesn't every situation where a Black person is refused a job is because of racism. 

Mr. Pro-Black DL Huntley wants to sell a house, he hires a Non-Black agent? I'm assuming here that the Agent isn't Black. How can you be pro-black and divest resources from the community? Then, the man has no clue about the value of his house...Because he is too busy to look it up.

The man just wanted an appraisal for him home.  The person who came to do it, is the one who came to do it.  Obviously, DL got a real estimate for his home, showing he was doing his research.  The bank was aghast at the estimate the appraiser gave, showing this simply wasn't a conservative estimate.  See, you thought your home would sell for a little more than what your agent suggested, what DL was explaining here is a guy taking a huge chunk of wealth out of his pocket "just because" he was black.  Nothing was wrong with the home, and again that wasn't a conservative estimate.  DL's bank was shocked!  They were saying what was wrong with the house?  Is the foundation off?  Is it being repossessed?  What's up?  Nope, the house was fine.  So why the enormous drop in selling price?

Edited by Matthias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JoePanther said:

Not everyone should run for President. But out of 40millions ADOS, not a single one is running on this issue? This is pathetic. And you know that.

Who ran on the issue of Japanese reparations?

Also, don't bring up black college grads & AA studies in a dismissive fashion if you're going to slink away when that gets debunked.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm....

Either Black Republican or non-black minority is my guess for this guy. He’s using white supremacist talking points, but I don’t think he’s Caucasian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JoePanther said:

Not everyone should run for President. But out of 40millions ADOS, not a single one is running on this issue? This is pathetic. And you know that.

the fact that no DOS are running for President on this issue is one of the big reasons we need reparations. we literally elected a guy for President whose only qualification was inheriting white generational wealth. you have to be wealthy to run for President. are you expecting someone directly affected by the inheritance of the aftermath of slavery and generations of segregation and oppression to just wake up out of bed in the housing projects and say "I think I'll hold a CNN town hall today, get me Anderson Cooper on the phone."

Edited by rodeo
  • Pie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rodeo said:

the fact that no DOS are running for President on this issue is one of the big reasons we need reparations. we literally elected a guy for President whose only qualification was inheriting white generational wealth. you have to be wealthy to run for President. are you expecting someone directly affected by the inheritance of the aftermath of slavery and generations of segregation and oppression to just wake up out of bed in the housing projects and say "I think I'll hold a CNN town hall today, get me Anderson Cooper on the phone."

dem party will fund all if right candidate...perhaps this issue is not important to them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, bull123 said:

dem party will fund all if right candidate...perhaps this issue is not important to them

my vote is important to them and this is important to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...