Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

Reparations Roll Call: Sign up here!

Sorry I'm late to responding to all the activity of today everyone.  They got me working on Juneteenth of all days!  As part of the reparations package, Juneteenth should become a national holiday, and every one have the day off.  Don't say ADOS never did nothing for you haha!  I'll take the rest of the day and review all of what was discuss at today's hearing, and I'll make my comments.  

10 hours ago, JoePanther said:

I'm just following your lead and applying the same logic you do on others. Since you ( and Yvette Carnell ) pointed out that Cenk (a celebrity) having a $$$ million was proof that AOC could do things ADOS can't do. Duplicating AOC (or Obama) successes is not a question of means and resources, it is a question of will , action and strategy. That's why YC and AM and the whole ADOS movement are BS. They are destroying the mindset of those willing to take action, but then wonder why people aren't taking more action. You can't have it both ways. Unless ... YC and AM are just Russian bots ...then it will all make sense.

So what ADOS person has the backing of millionaires to run for office?  Why are they letting us stop them from using those resources?  AOC did it.  So let those who in our community who want to run, let them run.  When they are successful, bring that up in our face, like AOC was successful.

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

So what ADOS person has the backing of millionaires to run for office?  Why are they letting us stop them from using those resources?  AOC did it.  So let those who in our community who want to run, let them run.  When they are successful, bring that up in our face, like AOC was successful.

President Obama showed you the way. He did it against all odds. If he thought the same way you (and YC) do, he would still be sitting home waiting for his reparations check. And this is exactly the issue with ADOS. 

You can literally support reparations for the descendants of slaves and those targeted with discrimination via Jim Crow and still be a successful black person who works and has a career and is educated, these things aren't mutually exclusive

• Pie 1

Also, this characterization of a black person 'sitting at home waiting on a check' is a weird way to make your point, too (bc it's rooted in tropes) but okay

Coleman Hughes had some interesting words.  My favorite part was when Steve Cohen told everyone to 'Chill'.  Real dog and pony show they got going up there and it's going to accomplish absolutely nothing.  

speaking of Hughes....

Dude used us for his personal gain, and then sh**ted on us during this hearing. This has always been a big problem.

Repubs knew what they were doing.

Edited by AggieLean
  • Pie 1

50 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

speaking of Hughes....

Dude used us for his personal gain, and then sh**ted on us during this hearing. This has always been a big problem.

Repubs knew what they were doing.

He literally said reparations would make him and the ADOS less money. I’m still trying to figure that one out. 

• Pie 1

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/ta-nehisi-coates-dismantles-mitch-mcconnells-remarks-on-reparations-849976/?fbclid=IwAR3ZqttR_hS_Mu--77ztXc8k7kRyb0ilOA9opDJaYs4uU3i3_MmLg1STtOw

There were high points.

Yesterday, when asked about reparations, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell offered a familiar reply: America should not be held liable for something that happened 150 years ago, especially since none of us currently alive are responsible. This rebuttal proffers a strange theory of governance: that American accounts are somehow bound by the lifetime of its generations, when well into this century, the United States was still paying out pensions to the heirs of Civil War soldiers. We honor treaties that date back some 200 years, despite no one being alive who signed those treaties. Many of us would love to be taxed for the things we are solely and individually responsible for, but we are American citizens, and thus bound to a collective enterprise that extends beyond our individual and personal reach. It would seem ridiculous to dispute invocations from the Founders or the Greatest Generation, on the basis of a lack of membership in either group. We recognize our lineage as a generational trust, as an inheritance and the real dilemma posed by reparations is just that: a dilemma of inheritance.

Edited by Fryfan

14 minutes ago, Fryfan said:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell offered a familiar reply: America should not be held liable for something that happened 150 years ago, especially since none of us currently alive are responsible. This rebuttal proffers a strange theory of governance: that American accounts are somehow bound by the lifetime of its generations, when well into this century, the United States was still paying out pensions to the heirs of Civil War soldiers. We honor treaties that date back some 200 years, despite no one being alive who signed those treaties.

Maybe this is Trump & Company's lead-in toward just fugging throwing out the Constitution. After all, everyone who wrote and signed it are all dead and "none of us currently alive are responsible."

I had a chance to catch up on everything that happened yesterday, and I just want to point something out.  That hearing yesterday was the result of the efforts of the ADOS movement online and the pressure we have put on this up coming election.  Yet ultimately, it was really an attempt to silence the movement altogether with a more watered down version of reparations.  Before I get into that, let me address Mitch McConnell old behind.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:48 AM, Harbingers said:

Oh snap. McConnell shading reparations hardcore. Even going so far as to saying Obama was the reparations. 

here’s the clip with don lemon commentary.

If this dried up prune don't get sit down somewhere.  Not only is it an insult of insults to essentially say Obama was our reparations, but he is acting like he voted for him.  Mitch said "We" elected the first African American president.  Who is we?  No, it was black Americans that elected Obama.  Now don't get me wrong folks, I'm not saying white Americans didn't vote for Obama.  Yet you should know by now I'm a "group" man.  I don't deal with individuals when it comes to the data.  Who did groups of people vote for?  Who did the majority vote for?  Black Americans voted well over 95% for Obama, turning red states blue.  Even before that, we lifted Obama over Hillary.  So how can Ol' Mitch give the nation credit for something that black Americans did themselves?  This fool didn't want Obama to be president.  Heck, he probably didn't even want all the Civil Rights legislation of the mid 20th century to take place.  Yet this fool is crediting himself and America for it.  It was black people who pushed those things through, and there were many white Americans who allied with us.  None of that equates reparations though.

Now with that said, boy, this hearing that went on yesterday.  Sheeesh!  Some of y'all could be thinking 'Dag Matthias, reparations is getting the attention of Congress.  What more could you ask for'?  Well, as I said to open up, this hearing was more an attempt to shut the ADOS movement down.  You see the ADOS movement is demanding trillions of dollars in investments toward our specific group.  We are taking it to these Democrat candidates in demanding that kind of agenda, and we are gaining ground.  So Shelia Jackson Lee comes in with H.R.40, a commission to "study" reparations, but has no real commitment to giving reparations.  These candidates know that, and so giving their support as a front to having the reparations discussion.  So now they can tell us, "Look we support H.R.40.  So we have a black agenda for black America, we are giving you tangibles"!  It's all a farce.

When you go in and listen to what most of them had to say yesterday, Sheila Jackson lee goes out of her way to say this isn't just about checks!  The witnesses who were pro-reparations, repeated that over and over again.  At one point, Ta'Nehisi Coates had to go out of his way and pretty much state that hey, lets not get rid of the check aspect of reparations here!  Coates was the only one who had the best understanding of what real reparations look like.  This is because he is more learned about what this country had done to us specifically.  So he understands there must be specific redress.  Everyone else was on that kidnapped Africans stuff and white supremacy as an ideology.  When it comes to what reparations looks like from the ADOS perspective, when we say it isn't just about checks, we are talking we want it all.  Reparations isn't an either/or.  It's not a "instead of doing checks, let look at job initiatives or tax credits".  We want it all.  We want the check, we want debt cancellation, we want grants, we want set asides, etc.  That is why the cost is in the trillions.  When you come to Shelia Jackson Lee and the CBC overall, they are puppets for the DNC.  They certainly don't want reparations to cost anything.  At best they will give is some sort of suited up version of Affirmative Action, that will benefit not just black Americans, but every one.

Then you had folks like the Coleman Hughes guy, and that football dude who was popular among older football fans.  I'm thinking, who in the world invited these cats?  Then I remembered Republicans can invite their own people to testify.  So these guys were just idiots who didn't know data.  A lot of their testimony were simply their own personal experience.  Even I don't talk about my circumstances when speaking on reparations.  As I said, I'm a "group" man, I focus on what the data tells me.  That's what scientists do, not that I'm a scientist by the way. (Heehee!)  Overall this hearing was nothing but pomp, with the intention of stealing away all the reparations conversation from the ADOS movement, who are discussing hardcore reparations and advocacy from our candidates.  It's not going to happen.  We already have a foothold in this thing, and our pressure is only going to increase.

16 hours ago, JoePanther said:

President Obama showed you the way. He did it against all odds. If he thought the same way you (and YC) do, he would still be sitting home waiting for his reparations check. And this is exactly the issue with ADOS. 

We're going in circles.  Obama isn't ADOS.  His father was Kenyan, and mother was white.  He comes from wealth.  There were no real odds for him other than not being a household name when he began.  That colorblind speech he gave in 2004 at the DNC convention did help him though.

Edited by Matthias
  • Pie 1

@Matthias I will say a study would be a good step in my opinion. I’d for one like to see what they can come up with.

You know I’m not for reparation as you want them but that doesn’t mean I’m against reparations(aka lump sum checks above any other method).

I’m certainly for the discussion and potential implementation, how ever it could be done. 

I know I play devils advocate a lot in these threads but that doesn’t mean I’m against the cause as a whole. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Coates was the only one who had the best understanding of what real reparations look like.  This is because he is more learned about what this country had done to us specifically.

pretty much everyone can see the lasting impact of slavery. the problem isn't that the right people aren't more understanding, the problem is that they do not care and in many cases outright endorse the generational suffering. civil rights have come as a compromise in the face of something more threatening and i don't see this playing out any differently. a collection of actors, staff writers for the atlantic and politicians don't apply pressure. they don't threaten white supremacy.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

@Matthias I will say a study would be a good step in my opinion. I’d for one like to see what they can come up with.

You know I’m not for reparation as you want them but that doesn’t mean I’m against reparations(aka lump sum checks above any other method).

I’m certainly for the discussion and potential implementation, how ever it could be done. 

I know I play devils advocate a lot in these threads but that doesn’t mean I’m against the cause as a whole. 

I hear you.  A study would definitely be good.  I would also want a commitment with the study.  One of the witnesses yesterday mentioned a commission was conducted with the Tusla race riot, and the recommendation was payments to the survivors.  Oklahoma rejected it, and so far nothing has come of that commission.  The same thing could easily happen with H.R.40, and I'm not confident with the CBC's fear concerning reparations costing this country something.  The Reverend yesterday was on that "white people need this more than black people do" type stuff.  This soft shoeing that was done yesterday leads me to believe they aren't serious.

Edited by Matthias
  • Pie 1

so if Obama makes up for slavery, what does it mean that Mitch blocked Obama's SCOTUS nominee

• Pie 2