Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

Reparations Roll Call: Sign up here!

4 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Yea, Jackson is one of the few major cities in America, where every high school in the city is predominately black. Detroit might be another city like tha

My son is going to hit high school in 4 years in Baltimore city.  What is both fuged up and great about the city is some of the best high schools in the state of Maryland are in the inner city of Baltimore.

Those public high schools are placement based.  The population at those top schools comes in at a very rough at a 50 50 white POC mix which is very skewed from the school age public in baltimore.

The non placement schools which are some of the worst performers in the state are 90% black - a failure on the youth of  Baltimore.  The city has top notch high schools but fail kids early in the system to place into them.

• Pie 1

Certainly a off topic post on this thread but this is fascinating:

--

A 2016 Pew Research Center survey found 3 percent of American adults overall identified as vegan and only 1 percent of Hispanic Americans. That number jumps to a startling 8 percent among African American adults. In Gallup’s latest findings on consumers’ meat-eating changes, which will be published Monday, whites reported eating 10 percent less meat in the past 12 months while people of color reported eating 31 percent less.

The interweaving of African American performers and veganism is tight and intricate, with threads running through lifestyle choices and business decisions of some of music’s titans. Eight out of 10 of the Wu-Tang Clan identify as vegan or vegetarian. Jay-Z and Beyoncé famously offered free tickets to fans if they went vegan. Rapper Jaden Smith, son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, launched a vegan food truck for the homeless; rapper Cardi B started a vegan fashion line. A$AP Rocky rapped about veganism on his recent single “Babushka Boi.”

RZA, Ghostface and GZA of Wu-Tang Clan have promoted Impossible Sliders at White Castle. Snoop Dogg is an ambassador for Beyond Meat.

But it looks increasingly like major hip-hop figures are using their influence to inspire healthy choices.

During an impromptu appearance at Beyoncé and Jay-Z’s On the Run II Tour in Foxborough, Mass., music executive DJ Khaled had one question for the crowd: “Do we have any vegans in the house?"

The question was answered with a roar from the crowd of 40,000.

Hip-hop legends also are turning to plant-based ventures as career Plan B’s that allow for high visibility as they give back to their communities.

Jadakiss and Styles P of the hip-hop group the Lox, which had its heyday in the late 1990s, have launched juice bars called Juices for Life, with four locations in the Bronx, Yonkers and Brooklyn, and Stic.man runs RBG Fit Club in Atlanta with his wife Afya Ibomu, offering cooking demonstrations, live performances and merchandise.

There were nine elements of hip-hop, as codified in a KRS-One song of that name in 2003, which included things like DJing and beatboxing. The tenth element of hip-hop, added in 2016, is health and wellness. A bit of a departure from components like break-dancing and street fashion, its elements include plant-based eating, organic gardening, fitness, sobriety, food justice and animal rights activism. But like the other nine elements, health and wellness has proved to be a source of livelihood for practitioners.

Keith Tucker, a Seattle-based health activist, is partly responsible for the tenth element of hip-hop. He had a radio show, worked with stars like Public Enemy and Russell Simmons (a vegan since 1997) and pushed back against the stereotyping of hip-hop artists.

“KRS-One was an inspiration for me,” Tucker says. “His song ‘Beef’ in 1990 influenced a lot people in hip-hop to think about veganism, to think about the meat in the slave diet, about the chemicals that were starting to be put in the food and the rise of highly processed foods.”

Let us begin now with the cow

The way it gets to your plate and how

The cow doesn’t grow fast enough for man

So through his greed he makes a faster plan

He has drugs to make the cow grow quicker

Through the stress the cow gets sicker

In 2009, Tucker held his first Hip Hop Is Green dinner, assembling hip-hop artist and educators with the goal of bringing health and wellness to youths and families around the country through group meals with star-studded casts of attendees and performers. In 2015 he produced the first plant-based hip-hop event at the White House.

AshEL Eldridge, a wellness and food-justice activist and rapper in Oakland, speaks about how the plant-based food movement for African Americans is about reclaiming food sovereignty. “You have your history, your body, your culture.”

He says his community is grappling with questions: “How do we take care of ourselves? How do we govern ourselves? How do we regain the wisdom of our ancestry? And how do we reclaim our health?” he asked.

He says people want a sense of agency and that diet exemplifies that.

“There’s a huge movement around decolonizing the diet,” Eldridge notes. “There is disease related to diets heavily reliant on meat and genetically modified crops and monocropping. How do we extricate ourselves from that? It’s revolutionary.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/01/24/fastest-growing-vegan-demographic-is-african-americans-wu-tang-clan-other-hip-hop-acts-paved-way/

Perhaps a taste of what restructured "ownership class" would bring us?

And I can absolutely point to KRS ONE as being the first person to peek my interest in a vegetarian diet.

Edited by Fryfan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

23 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I still think that the noise will be why it won't happen. It seems inane, as that questions the intelligence of anyone who would make such noise (of any color), but I can't get past it. People will freak out. 

@Matthias .

I haven't read your opinion on [ YC, AM ] vs Tariq ... or  [ YC,AM ] vs Phil Advise.

The [ YC, AM ] vs Tariq is hilarious. #FBA vs #ADOS. Tariq roasting AM & YC using their own talking points. YC trying to respond, but consistently fumbling into her own net of misery and confusion. YC & AM believe they are the creator of something that existed long before they were even born.

YC attacked everyone and labeled them as ignorant, uneducated, incompetent and especially "plagiarists of her idea". She believed people "stole her idea", although the reparation movement has been around for centuries, she tried to take credit for it, because she talks about it on Social Media. She went after Dr. Claud Anderson, who has accomplished more than she ever will.

I hate to say it, but YC displayed the typical Black Female stigma, thinking she invented slice bread ... just because she yells louder than everyone else. And therefore, Adult men (and women) should abandon their family and follow her into an abyss.  She tried to lecture adult men on how they should live their lives, under a tree, waiting for a check (from White Supremacy) that will most likely NEVER arrive. She doesn't give anyone alternatives, while they wait for the check. 

Apparently, YC still lives in her mom's basement, although in her mid 40s (I cannot confirm this). She wants everyone to "Follow her" into a poverty abyss. Anyone that doesn't "follow her" is labeled a coon and a " do-for-selfer".

She promised people that #ADOS will shape the 2020 elections. Oh well !!! She celebrated the defeat of Kamala, but ignored the pathetic display of the candidate endorsed by #ADOS (Marianne Williamson).

Recently she claimed she wasn't anti Black Immigrant. Although she spends half her shows attacking Africans and Caribbeans. She has yet to get a single candidate on the ballot for the 2020 election, but she wants to sit at the table with elected officials. 

I forgot to ask ... how is our Latina woman doing? You scored yet?

8 hours ago, JoePanther said:

@Matthias .

I haven't read your opinion on [ YC, AM ] vs Tariq ... or  [ YC,AM ] vs Phil Advise.

The [ YC, AM ] vs Tariq is hilarious. #FBA vs #ADOS. Tariq roasting AM & YC using their own talking points. YC trying to respond, but consistently fumbling into her own net of misery and confusion. YC & AM believe they are the creator of something that existed long before they were even born.

YC attacked everyone and labeled them as ignorant, uneducated, incompetent and especially "plagiarists of her idea". She believed people "stole her idea", although the reparation movement has been around for centuries, she tried to take credit for it, because she talks about it on Social Media. She went after Dr. Claud Anderson, who has accomplished more than she ever will.

I hate to say it, but YC displayed the typical Black Female stigma, thinking she invented slice bread ... just because she yells louder than everyone else. And therefore, Adult men (and women) should abandon their family and follow her into an abyss.  She tried to lecture adult men on how they should live their lives, under a tree, waiting for a check (from White Supremacy) that will most likely NEVER arrive. She doesn't give anyone alternatives, while they wait for the check. 

Apparently, YC still lives in her mom's basement, although in her mid 40s (I cannot confirm this). She wants everyone to "Follow her" into a poverty abyss. Anyone that doesn't "follow her" is labeled a coon and a " do-for-selfer".

She promised people that #ADOS will shape the 2020 elections. Oh well !!! She celebrated the defeat of Kamala, but ignored the pathetic display of the candidate endorsed by #ADOS (Marianne Williamson).

Recently she claimed she wasn't anti Black Immigrant. Although she spends half her shows attacking Africans and Caribbeans. She has yet to get a single candidate on the ballot for the 2020 election, but she wants to sit at the table with elected officials. 

I forgot to ask ... how is our Latina woman doing? You scored yet?

I don't pay attention to Tariq.  He's never been about the political work, and his actions have shown just that.  He had the opportunity to change his ways and be apart of something special, but in the end, all he's ever going to be is an entertainer.  As for Phil, he's on that going back to Africa stuff.  He dips his toe in black politics, but he's mostly a boot strapper.  There's no question the ADOS movement has put reparations into the discussion this election and moving forward.  Before hand, there hasn't been a national conversation on reparations since the days of Callie House and Isaiah Dickerson.  You might say Yvette and Tone are a modern day version of those two.

As for my crush, as it turns out, she's half black half white. (Some would say white hispanic).  I don't believe she's interested in me from the vibe I'm getting.

9 hours ago, AggieLean said:

I believe for any candidate to be serious about reparations, they will have to make it a central theme of their campaign as a whole.  I like that Steyer said he would do a commission on his first day of office to study this thing out.  That is way better than the other candidates and their bull on waiting for HR40 to hit their desk as president.  Yet I didn't particularly liked him mentioning South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation thing.  Every one speaks glowingly about that thing, particularly white people, but at the end of the day there is really not a whole lot to show for it.  White South Africans still run that country in terms of wealth distribution.  Yet I don't even like comparing South Africa to our story here in America.  What I really want to hear from Tom Steyer, is for him to say he wants to infuse trillions in wealth distribution to us.  I want to hear him talk about the cost of reparations.  Then I will know he is ready!

Edited by Matthias
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

I believe for any candidate to be serious about reparations, they will have to make it a central theme of their campaign as a whole.  I like that Steyer said he would do a commission on his first day of office to study this thing out.  That is way better than the other candidates and their bull on waiting for HR40 to hit their desk as president.  Yet I didn't particularly liked him mentioning South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation thing.  Every one speaks glowingly about that thing, particularly white people, but at the end of the day there is really not a whole lot to show for it.  White South Africans still run that country in terms of wealth distribution.  Yet I don't even like comparing South Africa to our story here in America.  What I really want to hear from Tom Steyer, is for him to say he wants to infuse trillions in wealth distribution to us.  I want to hear him talk about the cost of reparations.  Then I will know he is ready!

Let's be honest.  A President can not make reparations happen.  You need a willing congress.

I promise I'm not trying to concern-troll this thread...but does anyone think $25k or $80k (a tiny percentage of what is owed) is going to prevent average ADOS from falling into the gaping maw of Amazon capitalism? We're watching the white "middle class" - who banked much more money than this off the back of racial/cultural advantage - slowly go down the snake's throat. And you're still talking with carefully-developed corporate think-tank buzzwords like "ownership society"?

How can you place it entirely in front of forcing systemic change that puts workers first? 

On 1/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, Wes21 said:

Let's be honest.  A President can not make reparations happen.  You need a willing congress.

A president advocating and fighting for reparations is a huge step in putting our other branches of government on notice.  You telling me a president constantly speaking on reparations won't have any effect on congress?

On 1/30/2020 at 9:04 PM, Gesualdo said:

I promise I'm not trying to concern-troll this thread...but does anyone think $25k or $80k (a tiny percentage of what is owed) is going to prevent average ADOS from falling into the gaping maw of Amazon capitalism? We're watching the white "middle class" - who banked much more money than this off the back of racial/cultural advantage - slowly go down the snake's throat. And you're still talking with carefully-developed corporate think-tank buzzwords like "ownership society"?

How can you place it entirely in front of forcing systemic change that puts workers first? 

You still thinking about reparations from the conservative viewpoint.  If nothing else is accomplished with this thread, I want every one to know true reparations means transformation for ADOS people.  That means with the cash, with the land, and with the other benefits, we also have protections that we can access to shut down predatory capital.  This of course will lead to new laws overall down the road, that will break up monopolies and strengthen the American people.  Has that not been the story of American history all along?  Our best moves forward in this country in terms of bettering the lives of the people, usually came off the moral strides of seeking equality for black America.  I imagine reparations will usher in the best era this country will ever see.  

Dag, it looks like Tom Steyer has been talking some truth over the span of a week on twitter.  My thoughts have been with Kobe's family and the families of those who lost their loved ones in the accident.  I missed some of the conversation surrounding Steyer.  If he keeps this up and begin talking with those in the ADOS movement, we might have ourselves a candidate to support.  I'll definitely be voting for him in the primary to keep him in the race. (Previously would have done that for Marianne)

• Pie 1

How long has Steyer been talking about this? It was never in the dozens of commercials he ran around the ABC News and Jeopardy last month. You have to wonder if Steyer is saying this because he is so far down in the polls.

32 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

How long has Steyer been talking about this? It was never in the dozens of commercials he ran around the ABC News and Jeopardy last month. You have to wonder if Steyer is saying this because he is so far down in the polls.

I think he's been on the positive side of reparations overall, but only recently he's been ramping up the efforts.  I know some within the movement have asked him questions and his stance on it.  Whatever the reason, I want him to continue on this path.

Edited by Matthias

he never mentioned it in the debates when they were asked outright about reparations, but maybe he wasn't in that debate, i can't remember. either way it's better late to the party than never.

he's at 15% in south carolina so hopefully this helps the issue pick up momentum

• Pie 2