Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proudiddy

OBJ TRADED TO BROWNS

3 hours ago, Icege said:

Let's be real here, the only folks that think this move is bad are casual fans, Gettleman haters, and ppl that prefer players over teams.

Remember the Cam-Smitty rumours? Won't be an issue with whomever Eli's heir ends up being. Their new QB will have Saquon to hand the ball off to behind Solder, Hernandez, Zeitler, whoever gets signed to play RT, and either Halapio or Pulley. They'll have Sterling Shepard, Evan Engram,  and Corey Coleman to throw the ball to, so I imagine the Giants will sign a free agent or draft another WR.

Peppers, #25 pick from 2017, replaces Landon Collins as SS AND OBJ as a returner while being on a rookie contract compared to the deals the latter two now have. Now they have the #6 + #17 picks as well as another 3rd rounder.

OBJ and Landry were college buddies, and Cleveland made "win now" moves that also empowers their franchise QB. Their defense is looking gross.

It was a win-win.

What a load. Look around. Are NFL analysts and journalists casual fans and haters?

I don’t know why, but I am always amused at how any discussion can turn into a Gettleman vs. Hurney debate.  I think I could start a thread entitled “Ginger or Mary Ann” and within the first page it would be a fight about Gettleman or Hurney.

The Giants weren’t going anywhere in 2019.  They just finally admitted it.  At one point this past year they were on the short list of worst teams in the league, and that was when they were trying to piece together one more run by Eli and the old guard.  They finished 5-11, and that is probably a perfect indicator of what they are, especially when it is not a “rising” 5-11.

They are rebuilding, and OBJ was in that awkward position of being the best player and a huge contract on a team that realistically couldn’t get anywhere until 2020 at the very earliest (and that was probably not realistic, either).  Having that level of receiver (never mind the baggage) with a QB on his way out the door and trying to find a new one is not a great commitment of cap space.  I think once the emotional response wears off, Giants fans will probably admit they realized OBJ’s time with the Giants was limited, anyway.  There was talk of jettisoning him last year. 

As for the Browns, they are a team on the rise and had a ton of cap space in a division of teams that are, to one degree or another, fading.  Even with OBJ, who costs them about $17M this year, they have $54M left to use.  The move makes perfect sense for them, too.

In short, the Giants are almost zeroing out their roster to start a rebuild, while the Browns are on the rise and the only team in their division that can remotely say that.  Sounds like both sides got what they wanted/needed out of the deal.

Now we resume our regularly schedule program about Gettleman vs. Hurney, already in progress.

2 hours ago, Icege said:

1. Gross retired in 2014 with one year left on his contract. He wasn't cut. Bell being left-handed came from Rivera. Let's stop slinging everything we can here in an attempt to try and justify irrational disdain, because now there's false narratives being created.

2. That 2013 WR group was Smitty, LaFell, Hixon, Ginn, Pilares, King, and McNutt. The 2014 group was Kelvin Benjamin, Jericho Cotchery, Philly Brown, and Brenton Bersin. Ginn chased money to go out to Arizona, Pilares sucked, LaFell was never anything better than a decent #3/below average #2. Smitty was Smitty. But since we're throwing out rec2.ords, that 2015 15-1 WR group: KB (IR), Funchess, Cotchery, Ginn, Philly, Bersin, and Norwood. The 2015 SB WRs have a lot more in common with that 2014 group that 2013 was "blown up" for.

3. Why are you insisting on saying that one person blew something up when he literally made ONE move? You've stated this with WRs, which was just shown to be false. Now you're doing the same with DBs? Coleman was still with the team. Tre Boston was the FS, who was with the team in 2015, and went down with an injury. Tillman retired. Benwikere returned a shell of himself. The only "move" that was made was JNo. One player is not blowing up a position group, let's please quit that nonsense.

1. Believe your narrative.. Facts are Gross even threw a jab about those negotiation with Gettelmen in his retirement speech.. I guess everybody else who saw it caught it but you.. moving on. 

2. Again 2014 group had no body on the WR corp who had caught a pass from Cam.. Frame it how you want .. But Gman poor planning brought us into the season with Cam having no Chemistry with any WR on the roster.. Add in Byron and Nate at OT it was Malpractice plain and simple... 2015 group "Again" had atleast 4 players who had spent a year (live games, TC, and practices) with Cam.. The only contributor who was actually new was Funch .. And he was given time to build up chemistry before being counted on.. THAT IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATION...You went from 0 guys to 4 who had experience and chemistry with Cam.. Not to mention a better oline... Finally leading the league in TO and the short fields the defense provided the offense was incredible helpful...

3. Your whole CB group was a inexperienced Bene and 3 rookies .. Because Gman let his Hubris in the Norman negotiations leave him ass out and having to use the draft to fix his mistake.. It didn't work .. And a top 5 defense suffered most of the season due to this decision.. How he didn't know that losing both starting Cb was going to be a problem I don't know...

Again Gman was a solid GM but he wasn't god and he will be fired again in the next 2 years because his faults which showed here are evident in New York as well..

28 minutes ago, fjblair said:

What a load. Look around. Are NFL analysts and journalists casual fans and haters?

Is Dave Dameshek a man of integrity that gives the best uniforms of all time their deserved praise?

5 hours ago, Peppers90 NC said:

the only people who think this was a bad move for the giants are the kids who think their favorite player wins games

How many games did we win once Cam got hurt?

Scot's avoiding this thread like the plague, lol.

2 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Scot's avoiding this thread like the plague, lol.

Nah. Just uninterested.

Most of what's been said in here is pretty ignorant, though one or two guys have actually been reasonable.

The comments I do have...

- It's pretty laughable to see people clutching their pearls over a GM saying one thing and doing another. It's like nobody remembers the word "smokescreen".

- Gettleman not telegraphing that they wanted to trade him is probably a big reason why they got more in return than the Steelers got for Antonio Brown (who most would consider a better receiver).

- Also find it pretty laughable that people think making this move would cause the owners to fire him. If you don't think the Maras were on board with this move, you're probably not too bright.

- Who wins the trade? Too early to say. It could blow up in the Giants face, it could disappoint the Browns, or it could satisfy both parties. We'll see.

The one other point at add is that everyone anointing the Browns as the best team in football should take a look back at two things: one, how the last few dream teams turned out, and two, the history of the Cleveland Browns.

If you say there's no way Cleveland can mess this up, I've heard that before.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Nah. Just uninterested.

Most of what's been said in here is pretty ignorant, though one or two guys have actually been reasonable.

The comments I do have...

- It's pretty laughable to see people clutching their pearls over a GM saying one thing and doing another. It's like nobody remembers the word "smokescreen".

- Gettleman not telegraphing that they wanted to trade him is probably a big reason why they got more in return than the Steelers got for Antonio Brown (who most would consider a better receiver).

- Also find it pretty laughable that people think making this move would cause the owners to fire him. If you don't think the Maras were on board with this move, you're probably not too bright.

- Who wins the trade? Too early to say. It could blow up in the Giants face, it could disappoint the Browns, or it could satisfy both parties. We'll see.

The one other point at add is that everyone anointing the Browns as the best team in football should take a look back at two things: one, how the last few dream teams turned out, and two, the history of the Cleveland Browns.

If you say there's no way Cleveland can mess this up, I've heard that before.

158f4952fe_1474623450_Bill-Cosby.gif

3 minutes ago, Car123 said:

158f4952fe_1474623450_Bill-Cosby.gif

That's about as intelligent response as I've come to expect from you.

At least try to say something interesting.

the Browns will have Hunt for at least half the season as well now. Hunt got suspended 8 games. Now that we know Hunt's status, that team is stacked and shouldn't finish any worse them 10-6. No way with all the talent they have.