Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Untouchable

Checking in on Compensatory Picks

Current 2020 Comp Picks: 7th (Mayo)

Our big ticket loses were projected to be Funchess and Williams but with the resigning of Williams and the signing of Paradis, the high valued picks have all cancelled out.  Our highest value right now is Thomas Davis who is projected to bring back a 6th rounder is currently cancelled out by the Bruce Irvin signing. Barner likely won't qualify in the end, Catanzaro should pull a 7th and Mayo too (Catanzaro now cancelled out).  Kyle Love (resigned), Wes Horton and CAP (resigned) are the other ones that could also return the highest value on the market.  Mayo currently qualifies but might not make the 32 pick limit.

There really isn't many good reasons to save any of these potential picks (like we saved Norwell's last year) so if there is a free agent that can help the team I fully expect the team to grab them.  There is little cap room right now but the team also shouldn't go into the draft without at least a "starter" at FS and DE because in-house options are underwhelming.

Those that are interested in this stuff can track along at the locations below:

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

https://twitter.com/nickkorte

UPDATE:

Barner doesn't qualify

Catanzaro should bring a 7th and Davis is now cancelled out by the Bruce Irvin signing 

Hogan looks like he will qualify as there are reports he got a 300k signing bonus which eliminates the 7th rounder for Catanzaro.

Edited by Untouchable
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Thanks for the update, that’s good to know. That being said the 3rd round comp pick is a bit over rated int opinion. As it’s really just an early 4th round pick but just calling it a 3rd does something to the psyche of fans.

• Poo 2

41 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Thanks for the update, that’s good to know. That being said the 3rd round comp pick is a bit over rated int opinion. As it’s really just an early 4th round pick but just calling it a 3rd does something to the psyche of fans.

GMs get pretty psyched too.  A top 100 pick is really a strong form of capital for the NFL.  Players like Antonio Brown, Golden Tate, Dante Fowler, JPP, Jarvis Landry, Trenton Brown, Robert Quinn, Kelvin Benjamin (lol jk) all acquired with picks valued around that range.

4 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

Contract expired and was told we were not going to re-sign him. 

Ah cool. For some reason I thought it was a cut

So we're probably looking at just a 6th? Yeah, I wouldn't let that impact any FA decisions. Sure, Brady was a 6th round comp pick but there are always outliers and that's as big of an outlet as you can get.

• Pie 2
  • Pumpkin Spice Latte 1

Here is a cool article on Comp picks.  It’s not just the possible player you could select that is a valuable but they are also valuable in trades as additional compensation to a team to get the deal done.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/perceiving-value--patriots-compensatory-picks

But we don’t seem to trade that often.

11 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Here is a cool article on Comp picks.  It’s not just the possible player you could select that is a valuable but they are also valuable in trades as additional compensation to a team to get the deal done.  

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/perceiving-value--patriots-compensatory-picks

But we don’t seem to trade that often.

Good article.  You can translate it to how the team approached the Daryl Williams signing.  The assumption going into the FA was that Williams would walk and the Panthers were fine with that expecting the return capital of a 3rd/4th as being more valuable to the team.  The team held firm and when the value dropped Williams became more valuable to be on the roster then the likely 6th (can't tell for sure because it's really close to that 5th/6th line) that would have been received in return.

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So we're probably looking at just a 6th? Yeah, I wouldn't let that impact any FA decisions. Sure, Brady was a 6th round comp pick but there are always outliers and that's as big of an outlet as you can get.

This can’t be said enough.  Weighing compensatory pick expectations versus bettering your team by signing someone is a no brainer.  Sign folks to fill holes and don’t worry about compensatory nonsense.  That’s a consolation trophy.  

22 hours ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

This can’t be said enough.  Weighing compensatory pick expectations versus bettering your team by signing someone is a no brainer.  Sign folks to fill holes and don’t worry about compensatory nonsense.  That’s a consolation trophy.  

There is a pretty strong correlation between the teams that have historically received the most compensatory picks and winning percentage over that same time.

Some of the best organizations in the league don't look at them as a consolation trophy.

On a side note, how many would take a 4th right now for Poe?

37 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

There is a pretty strong correlation between the teams that have historically received the most compensatory picks and winning percentage over that same time.

Some of the best organizations in the league don't look at them as a consolation trophy.

On a side note, how many would take a 4th right now for Poe?

100% agree. If you are talking a 6th then you may not worry as much but you should absolutely look at them as a trade. Would you sign Boston now and give up a late 3rd or wait until the “2nd” FA start?

Again, just in case people don’t realize. There is a date in May after the draft after which you can sign as many FAs as you want and not impact comp picks. Since we re-signed Williams, Funchess is our real comp pick. I’d trade his late 4th for Paradis. 

Edited by stbugs

Panthers now projected for a 6th and 2 7ths according to over the cap. The 2 7ths are for Chandler Cantazaro and Kenjon Barner. They could get another 7th for Mayo.