• Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

davos

Shedding $85 Million

That right there is the amount that Batum, Biyombo, Marvin, MKG & Zeller will count towards the 2019 cap.  

I think you can argue that with the projected cap increase and contracts elsewhere, Zeller and MKG's aren't awful, but they may be the best bait for carving out more cap as they have value. 

With Batum, someone is going to want to swap out a bad contract like a Parsons so might as well just keep him unless we pull some magic off.  His contract is the true POS holding things back.  It's batshit crazy that Bizmack Biyombo and Nic Batum are the highest paid players on our team.  Biz's contract could potentially get shedded but I think we're still looking at taking on a 10 mil+ contract in exchange and he only has a year left.

Basically: Marvin, MKG, and Zeller are the bait we need to use if we are ready to retool and we need to start getting a whole new thing together under Mitch.  Who do y'all think should be the guys we try to move on from and get some room?  What would your strategy be over the next 2 years to retool with $$ to spend? 

If I'm MK:

• Don't sign Kemba to a max; let him go to Utah, Indiana or something
  • Let Lamb and Frank walk.  Frank may not get resigned by another team.  Lamb could become a solid piece for a team elsewhere.
  • Rid ourselves of at least 2 of the 3 in Marvin, MKG, and Zeller  
  • Pie 1
  • Pumpkin Spice Latte 1

Frank will continue to play in the league for sure.

All those other players, nobody wants them.  In fact, I think Frank is more attractive to other teams than any of those other players you mention.

im really not sure, find it a headache to think about it

all im thinking is 1-2 years from now they expire and we don't get in a situation like this again

for example
3 years contracts is the longest, maybe 2 years more often. so if we do mess up again likely, we can recover someway
spend our time on rookie contracts, trust the younger players to play through mistakes,
if we're going to lose, keep the flexibility of the cap.

allow ourselves the top picks of the draft, while being good with money and trusting the youngsters to show what they can do over a few years. team may stink but at least we trying something 

23 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

All those other players, nobody wants them.  

Teams will want those expiring contracts. Especially at the trade deadline. 

1 hour ago, djp14 said:

I don't think they will.  Nobody wants MJ's trash, ever.

If Kemba walks I think we use the expiring contracts to get more draft picks and young players.  We should be in tank mode at that point and not looking to add expensive veterans unless they come with draft picks attached.  I would rather keep those guys another year and let them expire than I had to use them to chase veterans in an attempt to make the playoffs. 

Given how poorly this team has played down the stretch I think Kemba will be gone and maybe JB too. 

• Pie 1

On 3/17/2019 at 7:35 PM, djp14 said:

Yeah if you take back bad contracts or give up draft picks. 

1 hour ago, carpanfan96 said:

Yeah if you take back bad contracts or give up draft picks. 

Yes but sometimes that can be a good move.  If we are taking back a bad contract then it would have to come with some draft picks to make it worthy.  If we are giving up draft picks then we should be getting back a good player. 

On 3/17/2019 at 8:35 PM, djp14 said:

Nobody wants expiring contracts with players that suck

1 minute ago, bull123 said:

Nobody wants expiring contracts with players that suck

They do not care if the players suck.  Trading for an expiring is all about freeing up cap space.  Would you trade Batum for an expiring contract?  Would you care if the players you got back on the expiring contracts sucked?

1 minute ago, Thelt said:

They do not care if the players suck.  Trading for an expiring is all about freeing up cap space.  Would you trade Batum for an expiring contract?  Would you care if the players you got back on the expiring contracts sucked?

Yes I would care...teams do want to lose lousy salaries, but need players that can actually play

55 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Yes I would care...teams do want to lose lousy salaries, but need players that can actually play

If you trade for an expiring contract at the trade deadline, the guy is only gonna be on your team for a few months. What does it matter if he sucks? You're going to use his salary slot to find someone else in free agency.

Nobody want Marvin Williams, but they'll rent him for 30 games in order to get some cap flexibility the following season.

Edited by djp14
  • Pie 1

7 hours ago, djp14 said:

If you trade for an expiring contract at the trade deadline, the guy is only gonna be on your team for a few months. What does it matter if he sucks? You're going to use his salary slot to find someone else in free agency.

Nobody want Marvin Williams, but they'll rent him for 30 games in order to get some cap flexibility the following season.

You can get away with finding a suitor to lease Marvin, Zeller, or MKG at the deadline but there's no team really able to take on Batum's $24 mil or Biyombo's $17 mil.   Biz is a maybe but no one is taking Batum.  We're honestly stuck with him.   

7 hours ago, davos said:

Biz is a maybe but no one is taking Batum.  We're honestly stuck with him.   

Which goes to show what a terrible signing it was.