Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

So... Compared to one month ago how are you feeling about this season?

Recommended Posts

Feeling better. Many of the things that I said we needed to do we did. And Hurney did better than I expected. I figured we would have to wait until the draft for a center and we get a top notch center who called protections for Peyton Manning. Imagine what he learned. Then I figure that Williams is gone and we snatch him on a prove it deal for only 6 million. Hurney is taking risks with injured guys but guys who apparently the medical staff feel good about. If both guys and Cam are healthy, this offense is geared for success. With what we had to spend this was great cap management. Yeah I am ignoring Smith's non guaranteed contract for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I feel better. The key things I wanted (Paradis, Williams and Kalil gone) happened so I can’t be as negative as some of the folks in here. Cam is obviously a key cog, but I’d still rather see Smith and Searcy gone to free up another $7m we could use now (Kalil covers rookies/rollover) on say an Ansah or other decent DE/FS.

Aside from Cam’s health, the draft has to be nailed. We have 6 picks before the Saints get their 2nd pick. We need to overwhelm them with additional talent and then I’ll feel really good. I want help all over the DL and LG and T depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, t96 said:

It’s pretty clear the team saw OL as a huge weakness last year, has made significant moves to fix it, and has also made it known they will continue to make moves there. 

this team has done nothing but make a slew of lateral moves on the OL. Paradis isn't adding a single win to the panthers win total over what Ryan kalil gave them last season. 

This team can't chase this fantasy of five fantastic OL just because they're resistant to modernizing their approach to offense as a whole. Team's don't feel pressed to have elite lineman when the ball is coming as fast as it is and Ron Rivera's offensive philosophy has just reached the early 2000s.

 

That also, isn't, largely, what I was even talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

So you feel having a good off season rested completely on what..cutting/trading Cam Newton and signing Nick Foles?

What in the world are you even talking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lack of attention to the backup QB position has me still concerned. If Cam’s shoulder gives out again it’s going to be a rough season and beyond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On paper our defense looks like poo. 

As long as Cam’s shoulder holds up the offense should be more than adequate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hepcat said:

Lack of attention to the backup QB position has me still concerned. If Cam’s shoulder gives out again it’s going to be a rough season and beyond

lack of "attention" is the one thing that has me encouraged that the team has some form of plan beyond the immediate season.

Now if they can just resist the urge to blow a draft pick on a QB and ship some off for better picks next season, I actually will feel better about this offseason .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Growl said:

lack of "attention" is the one thing that has me encouraged that the team has some form of plan beyond the immediate season.

Now if they can just resist the urge to blow a draft pick on a QB and ship some off for better picks next season, I actually will feel better about this offseason .

I mean I disagree 100%. Kyle Allen is a big unknown but probably at best he’s Matt Moore 2.0. Heineke is just a camp arm. The Patriots made a habit of developing a quality backup behind Brady and getting value from it. Given Cam’s shoulder problems they need to take a hard look at either bringing in a vet QB that could start in a pinch or invest a draft pick in a backup. At best the drafted QB never plays and gets traded, at worst that QB gets significant starting time of Cam’s shoulder gives out. There is literally no negative to either scenario. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are a lot of uncertainties that haven’t been addressed and the draft is not enough to take care of most of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I mean I disagree 100%. Kyle Allen is a big unknown but probably at best he’s Matt Moore 2.0. Heineke is just a camp arm. The Patriots made a habit of developing a quality backup behind Brady and getting value from it. Given Cam’s shoulder problems they need to take a hard look at either bringing in a vet QB that could start in a pinch or invest a draft pick in a backup. At best the drafted QB never plays and gets traded, at worst that QB gets significant starting time of Cam’s shoulder gives out. There is literally no negative to either scenario. 

 

I mean for all you know that’s the plan and we’re about to blow something like a second rounder on a QB. (although I think that is highly unlikely)

I don’t think any kind of reliable backup QB will be looked at until after the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This team cannot afford to rely on a rookie DE and FS to be day one starters and produce at an above average level. If they do great, but you still need a backup plan.

Even if it’s after the draft we need to address those positions in free agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Lack of attention to the backup QB position has me still concerned. If Cam’s shoulder gives out again it’s going to be a rough season and beyond

That's going to be the case no matter who our backup QB is. There's no one out there who's going to be able to step in and do what Cam does. We could also potentially add a QB in the draft. There's a lot of offseason to go.

Honestly, I'm fine with not addressing the backup QB position. If Cam's shoulder gives out again, it's probably rebuild time anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

This team cannot afford to rely on a rookie DE and FS to be day one starters and produce at an above average level. If they do great, but you still need a backup plan.

Even if it’s after the draft we need to address those positions in free agency.

Yeah, I absolutely think we'll still add a veteran FS and edge rusher. The only possible scenario where we don't is if the staff feels like Gaulden has improved leaps and bounds and is ready to man that spot. That would make me awfully nervous though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...