Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

MillionDollarCam

Kemba Walker On His Future

4 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

There is no point in resigning Kemba with the team constructed as it is. 

Yeah, I'm not saying that they should try to re-sign Kemba. 

I'm just saying that's what they're gonna do. 

Kemba is gone! The quicker you get it through your heads the better you will accept reality.

I think he goes to either LA or NY if they strike out on the top guys.

13 minutes ago, djp14 said:

Yeah, I'm not saying that they should try to re-sign Kemba. 

I'm just saying that's what they're gonna do. 

This is why the Hornets continue to suck. Bad management. So let me get this straight you plan to resign Kemba to a max deal only to keep him with the same garbage roster and get mid round lottery picks?

Cycle, rinse, repeat.

This franchise needs new management point blank. Get some new scouts who knows how to find talent in the draft with potential.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

For attendance, for fans? Cause it's not about winning and building a team. They've messed that up already with all the bad contracts on the roster. 

The team has 81.6m invested in Batum, MKG, Williams, Zeller and Biyombo. 

That's 75% of next seasons salary cap on players you want coming off the bench at best and not playing at all for most of them. There is no point in resigning Kemba with the team constructed as it is. 

I said why wouldn't they. You don't just let that kind of talent walk. Why not re-sign him, do what we can with the young guys next year, and then what, like 40 million come off the books via Marvin, MKG, and Biz. If we really need to, it would be pretty easy to trade some of our expirings next year to get more talent around Kemba. The next year Batum will be expiring which is when we're finally out of the dark. You guys don't realize how hard it is to get an all-star, esp. in a small market.

48 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

I disagree.

The reason/s they wouldn't want to re-sign him are, doing so will prevent them from bringing in other players who can make a difference....and, it would only keep them in this purgatory for a longer period of time.  By the time they get rid of Batum and other crappy contracts Kemba will be past his prime, and also locked into a monster contract -- thereby limiting the team's flexibility to rebuild.

The first part about not being able to bring in other players is crazy. Who are we going to bring in who has more of an impact than Kemba? He is the heartbeat of the team. Without him, we are nothing. As I said above, you guys overestimate how long it takes to get some of our space back. About 40 million expire next summer, and Batum will only become easier and easier to move as time goes on. 

I may remind you that we kicked absolute butt at the end of the season with like that huge portion of our salary cap sitting. So many talented young guys on cheap contracts! Let's keep developing them, keep Kemba, and get ready to shed salary. It will be easier next year, much more options with so many expirings. 

I understand not wanting to end up with a John Wall contract, but to not offer him anything would be stupid. 

Maybe he'll stay, maybe he'll go. Kemba probably doesn't know exactly what he wants to do yet.

I won't be mad either way. If Kemba signs with a contender I'll be excited to see what he can do with a real NBA team around him.

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

James Harden and Kevin Durant walked from OKC (smaller market than CLT) and the franchise lives on.  In fact, they have 2 All-Star players right now. 

My point on "other players" is relative to pairing with him, not in place of him. 

In fact Kemba is the heartbeat....of a losing team.  With him, this is a losing team. 

Kemba has said he wants to play for a winner.  Giving Kemba a max-deal and putting the other players around him needed for him to win, are mutually exclusive.

Harden got traded for Lamb and other trash pieces 

^ gotcha. 

I'm a nuggets fan but being from NC I always want the hornets to do well. 

Bottom line is the hornets have put themselves in a lose/lose situation.

On one hand if you let him walk offer or not you look like fools for not seeing the writing on the wall and trading him last year. But instead you lost your Allstar for nothing, NOONE loses their star for nothing after lebron dipped cleveland but somehow its gonna happen to the hornets. And I can say that I'm not surprised. 

But on the other hand giving him a supermax deal at his stature AND age is bad business from a financial team building standpoint as much as I love kemba. And if you sign kemba and still suck then you might aswell of saved that money gotten a higher pick sans kemba and hope the young guys improve. 

• Beer 1

poo and honestly for Kembas legacy to be taken serious he has to leave. If not he's gonna get the tag of playing for the money and not winning regardless of how much he loves Charlotte. 

Doesn't matter what Kemba's future team does as long as he picks a team that is constantly in the playoffs. This reminds me of that year Melo had to do everything for the Knicks and when the summer came could've went to Houston/Bulls but stayed with the Knicks because he wanted to finish what he started and Knicks could pay him the most. 

That's noble but didn't do anything to change perception about his legacy. Hate that it's all come to this. One better move Beal/booker and the hornets aren't in this mess today. 

Edited by jumpman910

1 hour ago, RIAnBOW said:

James Harden and Kevin Durant walked from OKC (smaller market than CLT) and the franchise lives on.  In fact, they have 2 All-Star players right now. 

My point on "other players" is relative to pairing with him, not in place of him. 

In fact Kemba is the heartbeat....of a losing team.  With him, this is a losing team. 

Kemba has said he wants to play for a winner.  Giving Kemba a max-deal and putting the other players around him needed for him to win, are mutually exclusive.

You only believe this because currently like 75% of our salary cap goes to useless pieces of garbage. Even with Kemba on a max, once we get off a lot of those bad contracts we'll have plenty room to build around Kemba and the Avengers. I believe we can work it out. 

Also Harden was traded, and OKC is a totally different situation. If we drafted 3 MVP's I think we'd be doing better than we are now.

15 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

Agreed on all counts.  Only a fool backs them-self into a corner like that....leads to an unfortunate conclusion about the team owner.

Like your Carmelo example.

Yeah man, he realizes that and they also realize a supermax contract is the ONLY way to not look like complete idiots. Not the smartest move but I do GET it. 

That's a conclusion that should've been made when said individual was in DC. 

31 minutes ago, RIAnBOW said:

I would take the other side of your trade. 

If Mike Jordan pays Kemba $44,200,000 per season ($539,024 per game)....well, even Mike isn't a big enough idiot to do that.

One would hope 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I really can't imagine Kemba signing here unless he makes all NBA and the Hornets throw a ton of money at him. 

And again, as incredible as Kemba has been for us, is that a smart financial decision?

20 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

The point on Harden is OKC declined to offer him an acceptable deal.....same as letting him walk.

I think Mike Jordan is 100% inept but I would never refer to him as a "useless piece of garbage".  Language like that only makes you look bad.

It appears you believe paying Kemba a super-max contract would be the proper thing to do --- FTR, this is $221 million over 5-years....or, $44,200,000 per year.  ($539,024 per game in case you wondered).

Mike Jordan is already obligated to $103,000,000 in 2019...that doesn't count re-signing Lamb or Kaminsky (who made $11 million combined this year).  Kemba would take the payroll to $147 million and if Lamb & Frank are kept that goes to $165 million minimum.  The luxury tax kicks in at $132 million and if Mike also keeps Lamb & Frank he would be $33 million over that.  At that level his luxury tax bill would be more than another $120,000,000....so total payroll would go to $285,000,000.  In case you are unaware, Mike Jordan has never paid even $1 of luxury tax.... 

Lamb and Frank were integral to the good play last year.

I'm sure I made some kind of mistake/s in the calculations there....

....how about you walk me through your scenario where Mike "works it out". 

These two links might be helpful to you (team salary obligations & NBA luxury tax details):

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CHO.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxury_tax_(sports)

Makes me look bad? You know who really made themselves look bad? Him, for starters. How does that make me look bad. Not my fault Batum's play has been nowhere near the level of a 26 million dollar man. 

I'm very aware of the luxury tax and NBA salary rules and I'm not insinuating that we play Kemba the super-max.... I was actually insinuating that we actually don't get reeled into a John Wall type scenario in a post above. He is not worth the super-max and he won't get it imo. I'm saying we should attempt to pay him a reasonable amount of money instead of letting him walk. 

I know we're not going to pay the luxury tax, nor should we. Also why are you assuming we re-sign Lamb. That's a no if Kemba stays. I understand how the luxury tax works, you don't have to explain it to me. Adding up money to get to absurd luxury tax levels doesn't change my mind.

The scenario where Mitch works it out you ask? Well, we've got 50 million in expiring contracts this season, which gives us a LOT more wiggle room to make some financial magic happen than we could last year. I'm thinking some sort of Marvin/MKG trade or even Biz could happen, even this summer if we need to shed the money before signing Walker. 

Edited by archer4364
Edit: the link was nic batum

2 hours ago, RIAnBOW said:

Yes, makes you look bad.  Batum didn't give himself that contract, Mike Jordan did.  No reason to call him "garbage".

In your opinion what is the maximum amount the Hornets should offer Kemba?

You position seemed to be that keeping Kemba would allow the team to capitalize on the momentum they had at the end of this year as they plow into next year.  Lamb was a huge part of that.  Who will replace Lamb that will be as good or better?  Do you think we should keep Frank the Tank?

In fact only 2 contracts are guaranteed going into 2020-2021....Batum & Cody for a total of $42.5 million....but, NBA players don't play for free and I have zero faith in Mike Jordan's ability to rebuild that roster with players who are both effective and good value --- "financial magic" is not something Mike is capable of.

Nobody wants Marvin or MKG or Biz....they are not tradeable.

A few things:

1.  Mike Jordan is on the record saying he will not pay luxury taxes unless it's for a team that "is a contender".

2.  I can't see any way that Mike can re-sign Kemba and not immediately exceed the luxury-tax threshold for 2019...which would thereby obligate him to pay luxury taxes.

3.  Even if Kemba is re-signed the team will not be a contender.

Do you believe Mike Jordan will reverse his position and start paying luxury taxes this season in order to keep Kemba around on a non-contender?

No I do not think Mike will want to pay the luxury tax. I'd be cool giving him a five year max at $188 million total to be honest. I think that's fair for both sides. If he's up for the super max I don't think I'd be willing to go that high. 

Marvin and MKG, and Biz are tradable because they are expiring. Also Mitch is the GM, not Mike, I'm sure he's the one who can handle this stuff. 

2 hours ago, archer4364 said:

No I do not think Mike will want to pay the luxury tax. I'd be cool giving him a five year max at $188 million total to be honest. I think that's fair for both sides. If he's up for the super max I don't think I'd be willing to go that high. 

Marvin and MKG, and Biz are tradable because they are expiring. Also Mitch is the GM, not Mike, I'm sure he's the one who can handle this stuff. 

Expiring deals don't have the value they once did, those contracts are pretty much untradable without giving up something in value in return or taking a bad contract back.