Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Sweat could drop out of the first round

Too much talent to fall out of the first round but I can easily see him being there at 16 based on the medical issue and some character concerns related to his lengthy suspension and eventual dismissal from Michigan State.

6 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Only 32 guys can be taken in the first round. So far, we've heard of like 57 first round locks...

Every year, someone expresses similar sentiment, but surprisingly it never gets old.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, a college game is not anywhere near as stressful or draining as a pro game.

Talent is better in the pros however physical exertion is still physical exertion at most competitive levels. 

6 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

If we did pass on him at 16, does he make it past Gettleman at 17? I doubt it. 

Hmm Gettleman the GM for the Panthers when we needed a DT and the best DT in the draft had this heart issue. Then a high potential DE with an amazing workout at a Giants pick of need suddenly are "off some draft boards". 

If the Giants get Sweat at 17 I am totally believing this conspiracy theory. 

When I watched his games, you could tell that Mississippi State was managing his snap counts. I thought it was because of his conditioning, but now I know why. I think the advantage of the Panthers is that we rotate our defensive ends so he won't have to play a ton of snaps. He'd be in a rotation with Mario, Irvin, Cox, Obada and Haynes if all of those guys make the roster. 

So he's still a great pickup to me. He adds a lot of value to that rotation. 

19 hours ago, yasuhara2241 said:

Hmm Gettleman the GM for the Panthers when we needed a DT and the best DT in the draft had this heart issue. Then a high potential DE with an amazing workout at a Giants pick of need suddenly are "off some draft boards". 

If the Giants get Sweat at 17 I am totally believing this conspiracy theory. 

Dave Gettlemen is the man because he can manufacture heart problems in Star players at will,... 

would start to actually look that way if it happens this time with Sweat.

then again, Dave might take him with his 1st pick so,.. we will see.

Caught the tail end of Steve Smith talking draft with Kyle Bailey and Roman Harper.

He's not a fan of Montez Sweat, but it has nothing to do with this health. Smith thinks he disappears in games too much.

2 hours ago, The4ManRush said:

When I watched his games, you could tell that Mississippi State was managing his snap counts. I thought it was because of his conditioning, but now I know why. I think the advantage of the Panthers is that we rotate our defensive ends so he won't have to play a ton of snaps. He'd be in a rotation with Mario, Irvin, Cox, Obada and Haynes if all of those guys make the roster. 

So he's still a great pickup to me. He adds a lot of value to that rotation. 

To be fair, Mississippi State rotated all their D Line including Jeffrey Simmons to keep them fresh. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027742/article/2019-nfl-draft-believable-things-amid-so-much-misinformation

6) Montez Sweat may drop, but he won't plummet: Teams seem to vacillate on whether or not the Mississippi State edge rusher, long projected to be a top-10 pick, will fall in the draft. There may be teams who have him off their board due to concerns about his heart conditionthat came to light at the NFL Scouting Combine, which brings to mind the situation that unfolded with former Michigan DT Maurice Hurst last year. A heart condition diagnosed at the 2018 combine helped push Hurst into the fifth round before the Raiders picked him, but I don't expect anywhere near that kind of fall for Sweat. While Hurst was not cleared to work out at the combine, Sweat was and crushed it. He could drop out of the top 10, but it's highly unlikely he falls deep into the second half of Round 1.

• Pie 1

Yesterday I wasn't buying it. But today I'm feeling a bit more hopeful he falls into our laps. Hope we'd pull the trigger. Especially if Jonah Williams is gone by then (which is very likely).

I have no idea what to expect. Definitely hoping for a Star situation where an ideal player falls in our laps.

I'll be pleased as punch tomorrow night if we end up with Sweat, Burns, Wilkins, or Ferrell.

23 hours ago, Michaelinraleigh said:

Then a flyer on the kid from Charleston in the 5th or 6th.

Do you mean John Cominsky or Soloman Brown?

Cominsky is from the University of Charleston in Charleston, West Virginia. Soloman Brown is from Charleston Southern University in Charleston, SC.