Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jeremy Igo

Carolina Panthers select QB Will Grier in Round 3

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Unless the Turner's know they can fix this kids release and windup we are going to get hosed on the pick. He's a much better fit in the WCO than the Coryell at this point with his weak arm.

Did what we ran last year look like a Coryell offense?

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did what we ran last year look like a Coryell offense?

What offense did we run last year?

1 minute ago, L-TownCat said:

What offense did we run last year?

Norv's system is like a still Coryell based in terminology and such, but execution wise what we ran last year looked closer to an E-P, maybe even a WCO at times.

A straight Coryell features a fair share of deep passing. We had a QB who couldn't do that, so Norv adapted.

13 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Still the fourth Rd. A couple guys left. U never know what u going to get 

Well, clearly not a safety.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Norv's system is like a still Coryell based in terminology and such, but execution wise what we ran last year looked closer to an E-P, maybe even a WCO at times.

A straight Coryell features a fair share of deep passing. We had a QB who couldn't do that, so Norv adapted.

It was bad.  Our QB was hurt and we did what we could.  It was sad to watch at times, infuriating at others.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well, clearly not a safety.

Life is like a box of chocolates. There are no safeties in a box of chocolates.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Life is like a box of chocolates. There are no safeties in a box of chocolates.

Not for this team with the current leadership. 

5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Not for this team with the current leadership. 

Realistically speaking, you weren't getting a starting quality safety in the later rounds.

Now with that said, I do understand people being frustrated at the lack of attention to the safety spot. Not a lot you can do about it though. Ron Rivera just does not value the position.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Realistically speaking, you weren't getting a starting quality safety in the later rounds.

Now with that said, I do understand people being frustrated at the lack of attention to the safety spot. Not a lot you can do about it though. Ron Rivera just does not value the position.

It's real upsetting to see a mild reach on a talented but clearly "project" guy like Little in the second round and then to see every starting caliber FS get drafted between our pick and what WOULD have been our top 3rd round pick. That's what I don't get. We trade up for a guy that is unlikely to see significant time(unless there is an injury) for the next season(or 2 or 3) but pass on guys that could be day one starters at FS. It just does not make sense to me, even with OT/LT being a much more valuable position in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

It's real upsetting to see a mild reach on a talented but clearly "project" guy like Little in the second round and then to see every starting caliber FS get drafted between our pick and what WOULD have been our top 3rd round pick. That's what I don't get. We trade up for a guy that is unlikely to see significant time(unless there is an injury) for the next season(or 2 or 3) but pass on guys that could be day one starters at FS. It just does not make sense to me, even with OT/LT being a much more valuable position in the NFL.

We know from Hurney and Rivera's comments that they went into this draft feeling there were only three real positions of need. They identified those as pass rusher, tackle and backup quarterback. Once they filled those three spots, everything else was just BPA from their draft board.

I'm not a fan of the approach either, but I'm resigned that as long as Ron Rivera is coaching here, that's just how it's gonna be.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We know from Hurney and Rivera's comments that they went into this draft feeling there were only three real positions of need. They identified those as pass rusher, tackle and backup quarterback. Once they filled those three spots, everything else was just BPA from their draft board.

I'm not a fan of the approach either, but I'm resigned that as long as Ron Rivera is coaching here, that's just how it's gonna be.

Well, I definitely disagree about "positions of need." We had more than that, which I am sure will become pretty apparent during the season. Furthermore, BPA seems like a pretty big fail when you draft a RB in the 5th that was very likely headed to the UDFA's.

I would make the case for Kyle Allen as the second in line after Cam as he played well against the division rivals and NO fielded a lot of the starters for a stretch. His injury was not on his throwing arm so it doesn’t matter.   

The new guy can learn and we ll see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

I would make the case for Kyle Allen as the second in line after Cam as he played well against the division rivals and NO fielded a lot of the starters for a stretch. His injury was not on his throwing arm so it doesn’t matter.   

The new guy can learn and we ll see how it goes. 

You can try, but the reality is that the team wouldn't have used a third round pick on a backup QB if they felt they already had one who was good enough.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You can try, but the reality is that the team wouldn't have used a third round pick on a backup QB if they felt they already had one who was good enough.

A no confidence vote on our backups

This team was only going to be slightly above average regardless of this draft.....off season optimism.....gets your feelings hurt when the reality hits around week 5.