Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Proudiddy

Gettleman is getting absolutely destroyed by national media... STILL

Recommended Posts

I don't know why you put up the bat signal..smh

All you're going to get out of this is biased opinion, contradiction, and flawed theories..

In the end we will see how GMan does when he has to find his own Franchise QB and build around that..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


One other note on the emotional side of things...

The people who liked having Gettleman here pretty much never start threads about him these days. He's not part of the Panthers anymore, so why bother?

The Eternally Butthurt over Steve Smith / Josh Norman / Jon Beason / whomever else crowd however seems to scour sports media on a daily basis looking for some reason to talk about him.

With some guys, I'm not surprised. It's disappointing when it comes from guys like @Proudiddy though.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if only we had a fanbase that appreciated winning more games instead of poorly contrived and flawed scathing remarks about personnel decisions by pisshead journalists

i’m not saying gettleman should still be here, but we definitely wouldn’t have re-hired the guy whose mess gettleman spent years trying to clean up while making the team more competitive than it has ever been in any other time frame. 

the whole series of events that led to hurney being right back where he was before october 2012 was one of the most illogical, reality questioning periods i’ve seen as it pertains to the panthers, and i saw immediately how it was going to play out and all you folks lapped it up like spoonfed gimps and accepted it. i don’t like to throw the word “sheep” around, but when it comes to panther fans, you guys rly seem to like the idea of following some big time morons right off of a cliff face.

  • Beer 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frash.exe said:

if only we had a fanbase that appreciated winning more games instead of poorly contrived and flawed scathing remarks about personnel decisions by pisshead journalists

i’m not saying gettleman should still be here, but we definitely wouldn’t have re-hired the guy whose mess gettleman spent years trying to clean up while making the team more competitive than it has ever been in any other time frame. 

the whole series of events that led to hurney being right back where he was before october 2012 was one of the most illogical, reality questioning periods i’ve seen as it pertains to the panthers, and i saw immediately how it was going to play out and all you folks lapped it up like spoonfed gimps and accepted it. i don’t like to throw the word “sheep” around, but when it comes to panther fans, you guys rly seem to like the idea of following some big time morons right off of a cliff face.

No other team in the league thought Marty Hurney was worth hiring for even so much as a regional scout position.

But Jerry Richardson... Oy :eyeroll:

  • Beer 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Last year's roster was Hurney's, and I said so prior to the season.

Someone asked me before last year started to go on record as saying that the 2018 season belonged to Marty. They did so likely expecting it to be a successful one. I said yes not because I had any expectations, but because that's how it works.

Earlier this offseason, I asked people to go on record saying that this is Marty's roster regardless of whether it rises or falls. Nobody wanted to do it.

Okay fair enough, but then why are you throwing in little asides like “Hurney benefited from Gettleman’s players but still failed”? Isn’t this the same point people are making about Gettleman when they say he benefited from Hurney’s core during his success? But you seem to have issue with people when they say that.

Also, you are highly critical of Hurney but most of your criticisms revolve around his first stint with the Panthers. He justifiably deserves criticism for that, but do you not acknowledge that he seems to be making smarter moves this time around? I think many of us are cautiously optimistic about “Hurney 2.0”, but your mind seems to already be made up about him setting our franchise up for failure. You can point to last season’s record, but as many people have already stated, our downfall can largely be attributed to the deterioration of Cam’s shoulder...which you are on record as stating is a big concern. If our roster was capable enough to start 6-2, then I wouldn’t attribute poor roster management to our downfall...it appeared to be a combination of Cam’s shoulder plus inept defensive playcalling from our first-year defensive coordinator.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who has the slightest bit of football knowledge knew Gettleman was a disaster. He’s a megalomaniac that’s stuck in his old ways, he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room at all times when in reality he’s usually the most clueless.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MasterAwesome said:

Okay fair enough, but then why are you throwing in little asides like “Hurney benefited from Gettleman’s players but still failed”? Isn’t this the same point people are making about Gettleman when they say he benefited from Hurney’s core during his success? But you seem to have issue with people when they say that.

Also, you are highly critical of Hurney but most of your criticisms revolve around his first stint with the Panthers. He justifiably deserves criticism for that, but do you not acknowledge that he seems to be making smarter moves this time around? I think many of us are cautiously optimistic about “Hurney 2.0”, but your mind seems to already be made up about him setting our franchise up for failure. You can point to last season’s record, but as many people have already stated, our downfall can largely be attributed to the deterioration of Cam’s shoulder...which you are on record as stating is a big concern. If our roster was capable enough to start 6-2, then I wouldn’t attribute poor roster management to our downfall...it appeared to be a combination of Cam’s shoulder plus inept defensive playcalling from our first-year defensive coordinator.

Gettleman did benefit from good players that Hurney left behind. He also was saddled with bad ones and a horrible cap situation. That's why crediting his success to Marty Hurney is stupid.

Marty Hurney likewise benefited from good players that Dave Gettleman left behind. He was also saddled with problems like Matt Kalil. But as before, any success or failure from 2018 forward is Hurney's alone.

The 2017 season is the one oddity because all of the offseason work was done by Gettleman. Crediting Hurney for that success would be like having one member of a wrestling tag team do all the work in a match, having the second guy tag in just to make the pin and then saying it was the second guy who won it.

Bottom Line: I want this team to win championships, and I don't trust the combination of Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera to do it.

It's not that complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Anyone who has the slightest bit of football knowledge knew Gettleman was a disaster. He’s a megalomaniac that’s stuck in his old ways, he thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room at all times when in reality he’s usually the most clueless.

I've seen your posts. You don't qualify as somebody who "has the slightest bit of football knowledge"... or any of it.

Heck, we know from past experience that you don't even watch the games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im just glad he’s gone, and if we suffer another losing season, I’ll be glad to see Hurney go.

I just want consistency, and neither have shown the ability to build teams that are consistent 

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No other team in the league thought Marty Hurney was worth hiring for even so much as a regional scout position.

But Jerry Richardson... Oy :eyeroll:

the panthers are like the kid from high school that never left their hometown.

i like the idea that this team needs to move on from its old ways to get anywhere in the future, the sooner the better. when we re-hired marty, it was a regression back to the old ways. what comes after gettleman for this organization to continue to grow? not fuging marty hurney. we’re retreading over the same old paths that led us to plateau and nowhere else. these last two offseasons haven’t swayed me an inch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The thing to is that you have to look at their success as a combination. Rivera was a winning coach under Gettleman. Under Hurney, not so much.

Why? I'd say it's because Gettleman and Rivera had complementary strengths and weaknesses. Hurney and Rivera, on the other hand, seem to be weak in some of the same areas.

If we're talking personally, I think Rivera and Hurney are both really nice guys. Unfortunately, I also think neither of them is very good at their jobs, and the combination of the two of them looks a lot more ready to fail than to succeed.

As an aside, if the Giants succeed or fail it will be due to Gettleman and Shurmur as a combination, not just the two of them as individuals. That's how it works.

Hope I'm wrong about Hurney/Rivera, but we'll see.

If Rivera isn't good at his job what does that say about the coaching talent in the NFL? Hurney has his faults and has had bad drafts before and him going along with Richardson to a fault was a major issue last time he was a GM. Also the reason he got rehired in the first place. 

 

The lack of youth from a lack of draft selections under Gettleman was leading this team down a very precarious path. Couple that with the Kalil contract  (god what an awful contract, almost as bad as the Delhomme contract in terms of value and impact) and other blunders.  Had Gettleman been allowed to stay on, I believe we would be in the same spot with needing to retool the defense completely as they just did in this draft and FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Im just glad he’s gone, and if we suffer another losing season, I’ll be glad to see Hurney go.

I just want consistency, and neither have shown the ability to build teams that are consistent 

I seriously doubt that Hurney and Rivera will be let go if they have another loosing season. Unless it's just good awful dreadful, probably going to have both back for one last season.

I said it earlier in the off-season, the whole 3-4 switch was either a Tepper move or Rivera buying time. Either way when you commit to a defense change like that it takes time. If the team goes 7-9 or 8-8, maybe even 6-10 depending on the circumstances and they'll be back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

If Rivera isn't good at his job what does that say about the coaching talent in the NFL? Hurney has his faults and has had bad drafts before and him going along with Richardson to a fault was a major issue last time he was a GM. Also the reason he got rehired in the first place. 

The lack of youth from a lack of draft selections under Gettleman was leading this team down a very precarious path. Couple that with the Kalil contract  (god what an awful contract, almost as bad as the Delhomme contract in terms of value and impact) and other blunders.  Had Gettleman been allowed to stay on, I believe we would be in the same spot with needing to retool the defense completely as they just did in this draft and FA. 

The difference being that if we were in that spot, I would have had some trust in Dave Gettleman to fix it, justified given that he fixed Marty's mess.

I don't trust Marty Hurney anywhere near that much, and that's a judgment that his history justifies as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

I seriously doubt that Hurney and Rivera will be let go if they have another loosing season. Unless it's just good awful dreadful, probably going to have both back for one last season.

I said it earlier in the off-season, the whole 3-4 switch was either a Tepper move or Rivera buying time. Either way when you commit to a defense change like that it takes time. If the team goes 7-9 or 8-8, maybe even 6-10 depending on the circumstances and they'll be back. 

I'm not at all convinced they can survive two losing seasons in a row. if they do, I'd say the fans honeymoon with David Tepper will be unequivocally over.

I also don't buy that Tepper mandated the 3-4 thing. I see that as a desperation move by Rivera.

Edited by Mr. Scot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, there are still people who think g'man is a good gm.  wow.  well there's anti-vaxxers and flat earthers so why not.  we haven't yet found the limits of human stupidity.   

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...