Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proudiddy

Gettleman is getting absolutely destroyed by national media... STILL

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Moves he's made this time are still very much up in the air.

You've only got one full season under Hurney to judge by and that season was a loser. You can talk about mitigating circumstances, but then you'd also have to apply that to Gettleman's seasons as well. I understand those things, but I tend to set them aside in both cases.

As to the owner dynamic, David Tepper is still primarily a hedge fund manager. The only major football decision he can definitively be said to have been involved with is retaining Rivera and Hurney. That means the two of them have a lot of leeway. And thus, whether they succeed or fail, you can't put very much of that on Tepper.

I am very much a proponent of applying mitigating circumstances opposed to surface-level black and white metrics. I’m not sure what kind of mitigating circumstances you want to apply to Gettleman’s losing seasons, but I’m open to hearing a case for it. I think Gettleman’s losing seasons can largely be attributed to his own mishaps, i.e. the butchering of the Josh Norman situation in the 2016 offseason.

And I already stated how JR had a propensity to meddle in team affairs, therefore Tepper’s ownership is the epitome of addition by subtraction. The simple fact that Tepper allows the professionals to do their job without interfering is HUGE and cannot be understated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Followed by the best one in team history.

Season was tainted thanks in large part to Gettleman's boy, Shula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Season was tainted thanks in large part to Gettleman's boy, Shula.

You're referring to the guy that Rivera stuck his neck out for after Gettleman suggested he be fired? :thinking:

To be fair though, it wasn't Shula who decided that the game plan didn't need to be switched up for the Super Bowl. It was Rivera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I'm thinking of it, a little commentary about the coaching / GM thing...

Ron Rivera's profile as a head coach is that he's a really good X's and O's guy (on defense anyway) and a good motivator. Unfortunately when it comes to personnel evaluation, whether it be players or coaches, he tends to be sh-t. He's too loyal to guys he's chosen, favors "try hard" players over more talented ones and hangs on to veterans out of loyalty even when it's clear that age has caught up to them.

Gettleman had enough football knowledge and savvy of his own to be able to recognize those times when Rivera was full of sh-t. Hurney doesn't, which means Rivera has more power to affect personnel choices now than he did under Gettleman.

Not a good thing.

One positive on that front: The addition of Norv Turner helps. And because of their relationship, Turner has the ability to call bullsh-t on Rivera  even when Hurney doesn't.

I still don't think it's enough for us to produce a consistent winner, but it's something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're referring to the guy that Rivera stuck his neck out for after Gettleman suggested he be fired? :thinking:

To be fair though, it wasn't Shula who decided that the game plan didn't need to be switched up for the Super Bowl. It was Rivera.

Where's your source?

Gettleman brought his boy to New York.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Car123 said:

Where's your source?

Gettleman brought his boy to New York.

Person, Voth and others have all mentioned it.

And Shurmur is the one who brought Shula to New York, even that only as a glorified quarterback coach and only after his first two choices said no.

Gettleman has repeatedly said that he won't ever overrule his head coach on staff choices, only that he makes suggestions. It was said to be a "suggestion" of his that Richard Rodgers no longer coach special teams, but even there rather than fire him, Rivera just reassigned him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

 

Amini Silatolu was a 2nd round pick (40th pick overall) in the 2012 draft.

Amini Silatolu was a 2nd round pick (40th pick overall) in the 2012 draft.

Amini Silatolu was a 2nd round pick (40th pick overall) in the 2012 draft.

Amini Silatolu was a 2nd round pick (40th pick overall) in the 2012 draft.

Yeah Hurney has a well-documented, terrible drafting history outside the first round...but how can you say that with a straight face when Gettleman’s 1st and 2nd round picks from 2014 are on the verge of washing out of the league lol.

charlton heston laughing GIF

Both sucked at drafting...I hate to break it to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person, Voth and others have all mentioned it.

And Shurmur is the one who brought Shula to New York, even that only as a glorified quarterback coach and only after his first two choices said no.

Gettleman has repeatedly said that he won't ever overrule his head coach on staff choices, only that he makes suggestions. It was said to be a "suggestion" of his that Richard Rodgers no longer coach special teams, but even there rather than fire him, Rivera just reassigned him.

Where is your souce?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Luuuuuuke! said:

Agreed.  Tepper is probably already there too, just a matter of timing.

Time may have already passed depends on if Cam can come back at full strength, otherwise we will be looking for our next franchise QB for the next few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What's hysterical here is that I specifically commented in an earlier post about how stupid this type of response is and why people say it, yet here you are.

Hilarious :)

Lol look at you, you have been on a crusade to defend Gettleman in every thread he’s mentioned, it’s funny and sad at the same time. You are literally responding to everyone in this thread that’s saying anything about him.

 

Get over it he’s gone, and his NY tenure isn’t gonna last much longer belt the looks of it either.

 

Love to say I told you so 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Lol look at you, you have been on a crusade to defend Gettleman in every thread he’s mentioned, it’s funny and sad at the same time. You are literally responding to everyone in this thread that’s saying anything about him.

Get over it he’s gone, and his NY tenure isn’t gonna last much longer belt the looks of it either.

Love to say I told you so 

Look kid, when somebody predicts how you're going to respond, you can see that they predicted how you're going to respond, and yet you still respond that way anyway, you pretty much got owned.

But then that's not exactly new for you, is it? Have you found the audio channel on the All-22 film yet? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheRed said:

Mr. Scot:

20190404-184833.jpg

See, this is even funnier...

Not only did I specifically mention earlier in this thread what a stupid response something like this is, but another person has already been called out and embarrassed for making that idiotic response.

Yet despite my prediction, and another person already being owned by it, here you are.

The laughs just keep coming :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Look kid, when somebody predicts how you're going to respond, you can see that they predicted how you're going to respond, and yet you still respond that way anyway, you pretty much got owned.

But then that's not exactly new for you, is it? Have you found the audio channel on the All-22 film yet? :)

Predicting a response doesn’t inherently delegitimize it. If I were to say “Hurney makes the best draft-day trades...oh let me guess, you’re gonna bring up Everett Brown, Armanti Edwards, and Jeff Otah”, then are you no longer allowed to use those examples without getting “owned”? 

That’s gonna open the door to some awfully useful debate tactics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Predicting a response doesn’t inherently delegitimize it. If I were to say “Hurney makes the best draft-day trades...oh let me guess, you’re gonna bring up Everett Brown, Armanti Edwards, and Jeff Otah”, then are you no longer allowed to use those examples without getting “owned”? 

These guys got pretty well owned. Gooby has a history of it, though because he lies to try and make himself sound more credible.

He once claimed to have seen something on the All-22 film. I asked him if he heard the audio commentary on it and he said he had. All-22 film doesn't come with audio commentary.

Others have told similar tricks like asking him about a particular play in a game and him acting as if he'd seen it when in reality it was just something they made up. He doesn't watch the games, but talks as if he did, and it's pretty easy to catch him in a fib.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...