Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Morgan

Day 2 Camp Thread

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Probably. Everyone is rooting someone to be the diamond in the rough. It's a nice feel good story and in terms of bang for the buck on the roster, it's basically getting something of value damn near for free.

No doubt but the level of delusion around some of them is pretty nuts. You get some obvious fanboys that hype up certain guys(Hood, Boulware, etc) but the rest I just don't get. The hit rate is so insanely low, there is really no reason to think any of them will be successful. If one is, awesome! Otherwise, why even invest any effort in doing more than an initial cursory look(from a fan perspective, obviously)? 

For me personally, I won't even dig at all into any UDFAs background until they start to make some noise in training camp or the preseason. It's just a waste of time for the overwhelming bulk of them. They are just camp bodies or practice squad guys.

That makes me think though... it seems like all the talk this off-season around the RB position was finding a backup RB who could essentially be a CMC light. Meanwhile, we draft a power oriented RB with no hands, we sign a UDFA powerback, and we have powerbacks in CAP and Hood already on the roster. This after signing a quality powerback last off-season and barely using him at all before releasing him mid-season.

I just don't understand what we're doing there.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed. But, just to point out, Hood wasn't a UDFA. He was drafted by the Raiders.

Yeah, I was just giving some fanboy favorites, not talking UDFA's specifically with the example.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

That makes me think though... it seems like all the talk this off-season around the RB position was finding a backup RB who could essentially be a CMC light. Meanwhile, we draft a power oriented RB worth no hands, we sign a UDFA powerback, and we have powerbacks in CAP and Hood already on the roster. This after signing a quality powerback last off-season and barely using him at all before releasing him mid-season.

I just don't understand what we're doing there.

Yeah, if we didn't utilize C.J. then I have no idea what we are supposed to do with these other guys. Not to mention not a one of them is anywhere near his caliber.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, if we didn't utilize C.J. then I have no idea what we are supposed to do with these other guys. Not to mention not a one of them is anywhere near his caliber.

Exactly.

10 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

Which should be a good hint that he was let go for non football reasons.

That is the only reason that would make any sense. But we may well see that we have this gaggle of JAG power backs that doesn't accomplish much or get utilized either. Could be he just got sick of not being used.

This is the beauty of the draft, OTAs, Training Camps etc...  It gets us excited about the potential of our young players. Will they all be great? Of course not! However, we as fans can still have our favorites and hope they do great. No need to rain on our parade. I hope they all do great and win us a Super Bowl! I mean honestly, what else are we going to be talking about on a Panthers Forum this time of year?

On 5/15/2019 at 11:48 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

Fanboys call it hating, but it's just being realistic. UDFAs are a long shot to even make the roster, especially when they're competing for a spot at a position where someone was actually drafted in the same draft class. May he will be an impact player for us at some point, but every UDFA is a long shot.

Precisely, where is Bryd at for all the USC fanboys?