Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

TheSpecialJuan

Marty Hurney tried to trade up to get Greg Little as early as the No. 21 overall pick in the first round

13 hours ago, chknwing said:

5th year option

Yeah, I can see why Hurney was considering of trading back into 1st rounder; gives you the 5th year option. Problem is it probably would've erased our 2nd & 3rd rounders, meaning no Will Grier.

15 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

All hell would have broken loose on here if that would have happened. 

And for good reason. Guys don't drop for no reason.

Drafting for need is a bad strategy that almost always ends in failure, especially for Hurney.  I hope his luck has changed but I fear a year or two from now the results will be the same.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I kinda wish we didn't have that 5th year option on Shaq to have forced our hand. We would've either already signed him to an extension that would probably put his cap hit for this year at significantly less than his current nearly $10M or we would've let him walk and TD would be here for another year.

If we were completely sold on Shaq, he would've already been extended. That 5th year option really only helps you if you're dealing with a really good player at a premium position. QB, LT, WR, CB then yeah. Mediocre LB? Meh... I wish we didn't have that crutch. Make the call.

I would have agreed prior to the start of free agency but in hindsight, I am not sure I would say it was that big of a crutch. I look at some of the contracts that were inked for some of the players that a lot of us here wanted and I don't think I would be particularly excited about being married to those contracts for the long term. 

With the benefit of hindsight, I am not sure it turned out to be as big of a deal as we all thought. Not to mention if it was that big of a deal, we would have at least considering extending him. I guess maybe with the switch to the 3-4 he is on a $9 mil "prove it" contract.

The one big upgrade I reeeeeeaaaallllllyyyyyy wanted was signing Weddle. But he signed a cheap deal with a contender, so I also doubt he was that serious about us.

12 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I surely hope that Little is as good as Hurney thinks. Sure could use the next Jordan Gross to anchor the left side after suffering through a turnstile of JAGs that were only serviceable due to Matso's skills as a coach. Gotta give him credit for swinging for the fences and finally trying to fix the O Line.  

Yeah but that take is only accurate if Little turns into a solid LT. If he is Matt Kalil 2.0, then it was a huge blunder and a desperation move. So, I can't give him any credit now. If it works out, all the credit in the world.

• Pie 1

It is so ridiculous to make a thread that should have been made during the draft not after it is over with.

3 hours ago, jbland said:

Not that I needed another reason but this proves to me that hurney hasn’t learned anything from his mistakes last go around.

What mistake did Hurney make?

Are you saying he *should* have traded up?

Time will tell, but history has been on Hurndogs side as far as first rounders go. THE only reason Little fell out of the first was the run on this unusually talented Dline class.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Time will tell, but history has been on Hurndogs side as far as first rounders go. THE only reason Little fell out of the first was the run on this unusually talented Dline class.

No, he fell out of the first round because he was very bad at the combine. Four OT's were drafted in the first round, he wasn't one of them. The Texans have a bigger need at LT than we do but they panic drafted a guy with a third round grade over him. Think about that. 

Edited by kungfoodude

As long as he was only offering a 3rd rounder I would have been fine with it.  Greg Little is a helluva player people.  The guy is going to be an all-pro in all likelihood.  

• Pie 1

BB up in New England on draft night:  Somebody get, and keep Marty on the phone for the entire 1st and 2nd round.

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that take is only accurate if Little turns into a solid LT. If he is Matt Kalil 2.0, then it was a huge blunder and a desperation move. So, I can't give him any credit now. If it works out, all the credit in the world.

Not really close in comparison. The reason to draft someone in the second round is a very low salary and not that much given up. Kalil was a 55 million mistake.  Little will cost roughly 8 million for 4 years or 2 million a year. Really smart move and relatively low risk for a potential high pay off.

• Beer 1

Given Matso's success with Norwell, a UDFA, Williams a 4th rounder etc. The whole debate about what round little should have been picked is irrelevant. The same folks criticizing this move are the same guys always criticizing the front office and staff at every opportunity.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Not really close in comparison. The reason to draft someone in the second round is a very low salary and not that much given up. Kalil was a 55 million mistake.  Little will cost roughly 8 million for 4 years or 2 million a year. Really smart move and relatively low risk for a potential high pay off.

I am not talking about Kalil's contract, but his level of play, so the contract has no bearing. As I said, it's only a smart move if it pays off. If not, he wasted a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick and it was another on a list of bad Hurney trade ups.

I don't personally have a lot of faith in Little but if he is even an average LT, then it was a smart move. That hasn't happened yet, so we will see.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Given Matso's success with Norwell, a UDFA, Williams a 4th rounder etc. The whole debate about what round little should have been picked is irrelevant. The same folks criticizing this move are the same guys always criticizing the front office and staff at every opportunity.

Doesn't Matt Kalil essentially kill that as an argument? We can all agree that he is a great coach but not every player is capable or willing. You cannot turn 100% of the chickenshit into chicken salad. Some of it just stays chickenshit.

• Beer 1