Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

NanuqoftheNorth

Ocasio-Cortez confronts CEO for nearly $2K price tag on HIV drug that costs $8 in Australia

Recommended Posts



13 hours ago, R0CKnR0LLA said:

you're just parroting fox news propaganda

you want these things changed, vote for people that will change them, it's that simple

we keep putting these tools in power that only care about the billionaire donor class and this is what we're going to be stuck with. enjoy getting ass raped on healthcare costs i guess

you think healthcare will be free under Bernie or anybody else lol   …. wake up, nothing is free but salvation... you'll pay so much more taxes not just in payroll but taxes on everything else as well... cant vote for Bernie... dont want socialism, I like capitalism so ill stick with trump and vote for someone who will keep capitalism policies in place... 

everybody thinks everything should be free LMAO.... if this country ever dose go to socialism, I'm reminded of a Neil Young song that has a line in it.... "aint it funny how you feel when you find out its real"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, retired said:

you think healthcare will be free under Bernie or anybody else lol   …. wake up, nothing is free but salvation... you'll pay so much more taxes not just in payroll but taxes on everything else as well... cant vote for Bernie... dont want socialism, I like capitalism so ill stick with trump and vote for someone who will keep capitalism policies in place... 

everybody thinks everything should be free LMAO.... if this country ever dose go to socialism, I'm reminded of a Neil Young song that has a line in it.... "aint it funny how you feel when you find out its real"

the tax increase will be less than you pay for healthcare now. which will go away. aka you'll pay less. even conservative studies have shown this.

also bernie is a capitalist, unfortunately.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retired said:

you think healthcare will be free under Bernie or anybody else lol   …. wake up, nothing is free but salvation... you'll pay so much more taxes not just in payroll but taxes on everything else as well... cant vote for Bernie... dont want socialism, I like capitalism so ill stick with trump and vote for someone who will keep capitalism policies in place... 

everybody thinks everything should be free LMAO.... if this country ever dose go to socialism, I'm reminded of a Neil Young song that has a line in it.... "aint it funny how you feel when you find out its real"

You continue to spout establishment talking points and clearly have little or no idea what you are talking about.

As a nation, the USA per capita already pays about 2.5 times what the rest of the civilized world pays for healthcare and has the 37th best health outcomes.  So your concern about where the money would come from for Medicare for All is unfounded, we are already paying more today than we would under a Medicare for All model.

Almost a third of every healthcare dollar is spent on administrative costs, largely due to a myriad of insurers and policy variations.

A single payer/universal healthcare system (medicare for all) would immensely simplify administration from thousands of providers to just one.  That alone would save billions of dollars annually and allow doctors to determine what is best for their patients not some for-profit insurance company.  Americans would still be receiving their healthcare from for profit hospitals, even private health insurance (supplemental) would still exist.

Live longer spend less.

We're not delving into theory.  The USA is the ONLY first world nation that doesn't ensure healthcare as a right to its citizens.  We know single payer is totally doable.   All these other countries have been doing some variation of universal single payer healthcare for generations and their citizens are living longer (and often happier) lives than Americans because of it. 

Medicare for all would also ensure if someone has a preexisting health condition they'd still be fully covered and wouldn't go bankrupt with outrageous premiums or co-pays.  Workers would no longer have to worry about gaps in coverage/additional costs due to a change in jobs or loss of employment.  Employers would no longer need to devote time and resources to negotiating health coverage for their employees.   This would be especially helpful for small businesses and startups that typically don't have the experience or resources to deal with this issue. 

This all adds up to lower stress levels for both employers and employees.  Something that Americans are suffering from more than just about any other modern society on the planet, a reduction of which could only help to improve our overall health and attitude.

Bottom line:  Medicare for All would provide every American healthcare coverage with better healthcare outcomes for less money (per capita) and less stress for employees and employers alike.

As a fiscal conservative and retiree this shouldn't be hard to embrace.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, rodeo said:

the tax increase will be less than you pay for healthcare now. which will go away. aka you'll pay less. even conservative studies have shown this.

also bernie is a capitalist, unfortunately.

what studies, all I've heard was its going to cost over 3 trillion  a year, that's almost double the entire government spending of 4.5 trillion 

and everything cost the government  more than they claim it will cost 

  • Poo 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

You continue to spout establishment talking points and clearly have little or no idea what you are talking about.

As a nation, the USA per capita already pays about 2.5 times what the rest of the civilized world pays for healthcare and has the 37th best health outcomes.  So your concern about where the money would come from for Medicare for All is unfounded, we are already paying more today than we would under a Medicare for All model.

Almost a third of every healthcare dollar is spent on administrative costs, largely due to a myriad of insurers and policy variations.

A single payer/universal healthcare system (medicare for all) would immensely simplify administration from thousands of providers to just one.  That alone would save billions of dollars annually and allow doctors to determine what is best for their patients not some for-profit insurance company.  Americans would still be receiving their healthcare from for profit hospitals, even private health insurance (supplemental) would still exist.

Live longer spend less.

We're not delving into theory.  The USA is the ONLY first world nation that doesn't ensure healthcare as a right to its citizens.  We know single payer is totally doable.   All these other countries have been doing some variation of universal single payer healthcare for generations and their citizens are living longer (and often happier) lives than Americans because of it. 

Medicare for all would also ensure if someone has a preexisting health condition they'd still be fully covered and wouldn't go bankrupt with outrageous premiums or co-pays.  Workers would no longer have to worry about gaps in coverage/additional costs due to a change in jobs or loss of employment.  Employers would no longer need to devote time and resources to negotiating health coverage for their employees.   This would be especially helpful for small businesses and startups that typically don't have the experience or resources to deal with this issue. 

This all adds up to lower stress levels for both employers and employees.  Something that Americans are suffering from more than just about any other modern society on the planet, a reduction of which could only help to improve our overall health and attitude.

Bottom line:  Medicare for All would provide every American healthcare coverage with better healthcare outcomes for less money (per capita) and less stress for employees and employers alike.

As a fiscal conservative and retiree this shouldn't be hard to embrace.

ACA claimed you could keep your dr and it would lower cost and deductibles … yea right

you dont lower the cost of healthcare but getting someone else to pay for it... you lower the cost by lowering the hospital bill 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, retired said:

what studies, all I've heard was its going to cost over 3 trillion  a year, that's almost double the entire government spending of 4.5 trillion 

and everything cost the government  more than they claim it will cost 

What?

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, retired said:

ACA claimed you could keep your dr and it would lower cost and deductibles … yea right

you dont lower the cost of healthcare but getting someone else to pay for it... you lower the cost by lowering the hospital bill 

The ACA was based on a republican healthcare plan (gift) to for-profit insurance companies and big pharma.  So of course it didn't work.

Want to reduce the cost of a hospital bill?

Eliminate the thousands upon thousands of hospital jobs dedicated to dealing with the myriad of for profit insurance companies and policies.

Allow our government to negotiate prescription drug prices like every other nation.

Why do you think a drug that costs $1780.00 here only costs $8.00 in Australia?

 

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth
  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

The ACA was based on a republican healthcare plan (gift) to for-profit insurance companies and big pharma.  So of course it didn't work.

Want to reduce the cost of a hospital bill?

Eliminate the thousands upon thousands of hospital jobs dedicated to dealing with the myriad of for profit insurance companies and policies.

Allow our government to negotiate prescription drug prices like every other nation.

Why do you think a drug that costs $1780.00 here only costs $8.00 in Australia?

 

if I'm not mistaken, the ACA was a democratic plan... remember Pelosi;s words as speaker of the house, you have to vote for the bill to see what's in the bill , 

I was thinking stop charging 100k for operations 25k per chemo treatment 200 to draw tube of blood 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, retired said:

if I'm not mistaken, the ACA was a democratic plan... remember Pelosi;s words as speaker of the house, you have to vote for the bill to see what's in the bill , 

I was thinking stop charging 100k for operations 25k per chemo treatment 200 to draw tube of blood 

You're mistaken. The ACA was the result of Obama trying to reach across the isle & was an expanded version of Romney's plan in Massachusetts.

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, retired said:

if I'm not mistaken, the ACA was a democratic plan... remember Pelosi;s words as speaker of the house, you have to vote for the bill to see what's in the bill , 

I was thinking stop charging 100k for operations 25k per chemo treatment 200 to draw tube of blood 

The ACA was based on a republican healthcare plan is the key part you seem to have missed.

And yes, there are plenty of areas where cost savings can be found but (as you will find out if you watch the video I just posted) the low hanging fruit is administrative costs.

Edited by NanuqoftheNorth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Every once in a while people make the point that much of what eventually became Obamacare came from, of all places, the Heritage Foundation – that is, the ACA is basically what conservatives used to advocate on health care. So I recently reread Stuart Butler’s 1989 Heritage Foundation lecture, “Assuring Affordable Health Care For All Americans” – hmm, where have I seen similar language? — to see how true that is; and the answer is, it really is pretty much true.

First of all, this wasn’t just one guy at Heritage writing: Butler referred to his proposal as “the Heritage plan”, referring to a monograph that lays it out and does indeed present it as the institution’s policy, not just his opinion.

Second, while the Heritage plan wasn’t exactly the same as ObamaRomneycare, it was pretty close. Like the ACA, it imposed a mandate requiring that everyone buy an acceptable level of coverage. Also like the ACA, it proposed subsidies to make sure that everyone could in fact afford that coverage. That’s two legs of the three-legged stool.

Where the plan differed was in the handling of pre-existing conditions. Butler opposed community rating, viewing it as an indirect tax on the healthy – but called instead for big subsidized high-risk pools to cover those private insurers would otherwise shun.

I have real doubts about whether this would have been workable. But two things about it are notable. (1) The Heritage plan would have required bigger, not smaller, government spending; that is, on-budget outlays would have been larger. (2) The piece of the ACA Heritage didn’t want was the part that’s actually most popular with the public.

Overall, what’s striking about the Heritage plan is that it’s not notably more conservative than what Obama actually implemented: a bit less regulation, a substantial amount of additional spending. If Obamacare is an extreme leftist measure, as so many Republicans claim, the Heritage Foundation in the 1980s was a leftist institution.

 

   https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2017/07/30/heritage-on-health-1989/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...