Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Proudiddy

Panthers.com Pushing The Case For Gaulden

12 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Hell I hope the kids balls out.  No he doesn’t have an enormous athletic profile but he is instinctive.  Ya’ll treat him as though he is Matt Khalil and robbed us of 55mil.  He was a 3rd round pick.  Give him time.  If he’s not ready they will go get some aging 30+ year old safety for you guys to complain about.  

$55m? You know we actually only paid Kalil $25m. It was a waste but let’s not throw out a number that we now know never happened. If we don’t cut Smith, we will have spent more on Smith and Poe than Kalil in the same two year span. Kalil sucked, but he never saw most of the contract.

I hope Gaulden can handle it but from what I saw, he looked as lost in coverage as Colin Jones and he’s got no athletic qualities to make up for it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, mjligon said:

If we go into the season with our current stable of FS we are in big trouble. 

We really can't say that until preseason at this point. Who knows? Gaulden might actually have improved. If not, a free agent is always the backup *shrug*.

41 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I was told that third-round picks should be instant starters

Ronnie Harrison and Justin Reid were 3rd round safeties that same year and they started 8 and 13 games respectively. We had both of them in for visits. Moore was a 3rd rounder as was Walker. Moore started only 2 games but he was a CB. Walker did about what Gaulden did, but we didn’t appear to have any interest in those two. Out of the 3 we were interested in, we took the one with the worst results and least starts. 3rd rounders aren’t instant starters but they can be if you make the right pick.

Gaulden was awful LY

but...we need him to step up and be an impact player for us....we will see

I'm not jumping ship on Gaulden though I'd like to see competition. I saw a few flashes last year that made me go...ok that's what they saw. Developing consistency is another story.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Ronnie Harrison and Justin Reid were 3rd round safeties that same year and they started 8 and 13 games respectively. We had both of them in for visits. Moore was a 3rd rounder as was Walker. Moore started only 2 games but he was a CB. Walker did about what Gaulden did, but we didn’t appear to have any interest in those two. Out of the 3 we were interested in, we took the one with the worst results and least starts. 3rd rounders aren’t instant starters but they can be if you make the right pick.

You're acting like we had no choice with regard to how many starts and results he had. That's something that can be controlled.

19 hours ago, Go DJ that's my DJ said:

if we go into the season with our current coach we are in big trouble.

No worries.. he has Mills Jr as his Time Management consultant. RELAX

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

You're acting like we had no choice with regard to how many starts and results he had. That's something that can be controlled.

Huh? No idea what your new point is. The other two got starts because they played well enough. In Reid’s case he basically started right away and finished as PFF’s 20th ranked safety. In Harrison’s case, he ended up starting half the year on the #1 passing defense. We weren’t the #1 passing D and Gaulden couldn’t crack the lineup with an old and bad in 2018 Adams.

Gaulden was a bad pick. We should have moved up (Reid went 17 picks before) or taken Harrison instead of a what position will he play/least athletic DB at combine guy. Both guys were on our radar and both guys counter your 3rd round instant starter comment, but we took Gaulden 

Edited by stbugs

20 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Gaulden was a bad pick. We should have moved up (Reid went 17 picks before) or taken Harrison instead of a what position will he play/least athletic DB at combine guy. Both guys were on our radar and both guys counter your 3rd round instant starter comment, but we took Gaulden 

I remember hoping that we would pick up Gaulden from the 6th Rnd. I realize that most coaches think they can improve rookies and that’s reasonable. I would agree with you that the curious thing is that better consensus prospects on pre draft boards don’t get jumped on by the Panthers when they slide. Chauncey Gardner this year...

Edited by Seoul_Panther

7 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

I remember hoping that we would pick up Gaulden from the 6th Rnd. I realize that most coaches think they can improve rookies and that’s reasonable. I would agree with you that the curious thing is that better consensus prospects on pre draft boards don’t get jumped on by the Panthers when they slide. Chauncey Gardner this year...

I think that’s one of Hurney’s flaws at the draft. He locks in on certain people and then gets worried and overdrafts them or ignores other guys slipping. The problem is that no matter how much love you have, the draft is a crap shoot. Even 2nd and 3rd rounders only hit a third of the time. 1st rounders two thirds. 4th-7th and you have to be lucky.

• Pie 1