Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Carolina Panthers OTA's - Thoughts and Musings

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean if Grier isn’t leaps and bounds better than Allen or Hen then what was the point? I hope he does well but I hope this wasn’t a(he’s a local kid and we are unsure of our backups)move because wow.. think of what was still there in the 3rd. I know it’s early.. day one basically, but after many questioned the pick, the first thing you don’t want to hear about is picks...

I wasn't a fan of the pick but it is waaaaay too early to be giving up on the guy. If we are still having these reports in year two or three, sure he is obviously a bust. Right now the kid has been in the NFL for about a month. 

If we get one solid back up QB out of these three guys, that is fine. If it isn't Grier, we can bitch about Hurney and the Turner's in a couple of seasons.

The sky is not falling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

I mean if Grier isn’t leaps and bounds better than Allen or Hen then what was the point? I hope he does well but I hope this wasn’t a(he’s a local kid and we are unsure of our backups)move because wow.. think of what was still there in the 3rd. I know it’s early.. day one basically, but after many questioned the pick, the first thing you don’t want to hear about is picks...

Dude, calm down. We're not even into training camp yet.

Besides, Ron & Marty said "This is just about bringing in young guys to develop and depth". Grier's more of a project QB than starting material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I wasn't a fan of the pick but it is waaaaay too early to be giving up on the guy. If we are still having these reports in year two or three, sure he is obviously a bust. Right now the kid has been in the NFL for about a month. 

If we get one solid back up QB out of these three guys, that is fine. If it isn't Grier, we can bitch about Hurney and the Turner's in a couple of seasons.

The sky is not falling.

In no way am I implying that the sky is falling or Grier is a failure.. this is purely from a draft perspective when you think about who was still on the board when we decided a backup qb was more valuable than a starter else where. I hate the idea of watching a 3 rounder just rust on the bench. And that’s the best case scenario.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

This is promising. Need him to step up. 

It’s not a need anymore, it’s a must. We have a big hole at nickel/slot CB and FS. He has to step up or we have the same awfulness or worse at those spots this year. 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

In no way am I implying that the sky is falling or Grier is a failure.. this is purely from a draft perspective when you think about who was still on the board when we decided a backup qb was more valuable than a starter else where. I hate the idea of watching a 3 rounder just rust on the bench. And that’s the best case scenario.

Well that is assuming we did get a starter with that pick anyway. Back up QB was a big need. I don't personally think it was addressed with the Grier pick but time will tell. We've beat that horse to death. Let's let the kid adjust to the NFL and get a full season under his belt before we are too critical.

This is under the assumption he isn't pressed into action early due to a Cam injury which would definitely make him a lot more open to criticism and certainly put a big spotlight on that decision. Personally, I don't expect him to even win the #2 QB role, so I don't think that is a scenario that transpires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really over Heinicke.  We saw him in a real game where he can actually be hit, and he was snapped in half repeatedly.

And Grier's performance is a bit troubling.  Am I wrong, or was one of his strengths anticipatory throwing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like there's a legit competition for QB2 that is going to result in the team carrying 3 QBs and possibly stashing 1 on the PS

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Icege said:

Sounds like there's a legit competition for QB2 that is going to result in the team carrying 3 QBs and possibly stashing 1 on the PS

Basically this....

  • Pie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

I'm really over Heinicke.  We saw him in a real game where he can actually be hit, and he was snapped in half repeatedly.

And Grier's performance is a bit troubling.  Am I wrong, or was one of his strengths anticipatory throwing?

Gotta learn the offense to anticipate anything. Will be more troubled if we're still hearing the same things at the end of TC.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Thama said:

Gotta learn the offense to anticipate anything. Will be more troubled if we're still hearing the same things at the end of TC.

This. Grier may be rawer than Heinicke or Allen *at the moment* but maybe he has a higher ceiling... Got to give him some time to settle in.  And I say that as someone who wasn't really thrilled with picking a QB at 100. But I understand Hurney and Tepper's thought process that we need to do more in terms of strengthening our depth at QB and that Grier was an excellent value at 100.

I do assume we'll end up with 3 QBs on the roster, even though that's going to create a squeeze at another position.

  • Pie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all the players mentioned here can step up we will be in good shape this year. 

If Gaulden can play a decent FS our defense could be really good. 

Having Samuel break out would give our offense an awesome diversity of targets.  Moore, Samuel, Wright, Olsen, and CMC.  Have fun shutting all them down.  

I was confused on the Scarlett pick in the beginning. But after doing some homework he is the guy I a rooting for to unseat CAP and actually provide someone for defenses to have to play honest against.  Maybe not year one but going forward I hope he can take some pressure off CMC.  And run some 4 min offense through him to grind out a game with a sprinkle of Holyfield. 

I was watching some more tape on Godwin the other night.  Man I like his hands. Route running is pretty good too.  Hope he can show out on ST.  It would be great to have a 7th rounder make the roster and be the replacement for Wright in a couple years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

If all the players mentioned here can step up we will be in good shape this year. 

 If Gaulden can play a decent FS our defense could be really good. 

 Having Samuel break out would give our offense an awesome diversity of targets.  Moore, Samuel, Wright, Olsen, and CMC.  Have fun shutting all them down.  

 I was confused on the Scarlett pick in the beginning. But after doing some homework he is the guy I a rooting for to unseat CAP and actually provide someone for defenses to have to play honest against.  Maybe not year one but going forward I hope he can take some pressure off CMC.  And run some 4 min offense through him to grind out a game with a sprinkle of Holyfield. 

 I was watching some more tape on Godwin the other night.  Man I like his hands. Route running is pretty good too.  Hope he can show out on ST.  It would be great to have a 7th rounder make the roster and be the replacement for Wright in a couple years.  

Yeah, it's unlikely that they all are able to step up and contribute but even if we end up with 4 guys out of this draft as starters or depth guys, we are on the right track. Burns and Little have to be hits, because of position and the fact we traded up. If we can muster 2-3 from the rest of the class, it will be an a monster draft class.

Gaulden will just simply have to be serviceable. We honestly have no other options, which is extremely scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, it's unlikely that they all are able to step up and contribute but even if we end up with 4 guys out of this draft as starters or depth guys, we are on the right track. Burns and Little have to be hits, because of position and the fact we traded up. If we can muster 2-3 from the rest of the class, it will be an a monster draft class.

Gaulden will just simply have to be serviceable. We honestly have no other options, which is extremely scary. 

Why you got to ruin a man’s hopium in May for?  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Why you got to ruin a man’s hopium in May for?  Lol

Lol. Just trying to be real. I preach and preach about getting too attached to these 4-7th rounders and UDFA's. They rarely pan out, so I always temper my enthusiasm. Plus, if you don't really expect much from them, it makes it all the better if they do end up being a big hit.

But, a lot of guys both new and old are going to need to step up this year for us to be successful. Let's get through this offseason as healthy as possible and get ready for the preseason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      19,837
    • Most Online
      2,867

    Newest Member
    Slapdad
    Joined
  • Topics

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      144,652
    • Total Posts
      4,725,622
  • Posts

    • Since most people forget, Moton spent much of the preseason weeks at LT and started there week 1. He looked great at LT against a very good Dallas DL and he also looked great in the week 3 (the one where starters play almost the entire game) preseason game against New England, another solid DL. That said, he looked just as good at RT when Williams went down the second time. Moton’s got the ability to ply both tackle spots, which is good and bad. Good because it helps us have depth because he can switch if a backup is better at one or the other. Bad because I worry that they’ll continually move him instead of letting him become a possible Pro-Bowl tackle. I think he’s got that potential.
    • Because it’s actually an accredited news organization? 
    • Perfectly sums up the conservative relationship with AOC. What the hell is a "look at me moron?" What you're basically saying is you can't stop looking at her, so you need to find it a derogatory thing so you can make it mesh with your tribalistic political ethos. You're basically Lisa Simpson:   The sooner you Pubs reconcile with your confused boner, the sooner you'll be able to grow up. Maybe then you'll stop worrying about who other people marry, what women do with their bodies, and what bathroom someone wants to use.
×
×
  • Create New...