Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSpecialJuan

REPORT: Panthers interested in Gerald McCoy

16 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

browns have much more cap space than us and are more of a contender at this point in time. not gonna happen.

Calm down. I realize they're the flavor of the month right now, but they haven't had a winning season in 12 years and only two winning seasons this century. It was only a couple of years ago when it was the Raiders who were supposed to be the up and coming team and Derek Carr was supposed to be the next coming, then they went 6-10 and 4-12 the past two seasons. At least the Raiders earned their hype with a legit 12-4 season. The Browns were 7-9 last year.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Calm down. I realize they're the flavor of the month right now, but they haven't had a winning season in 12 years and only two winning seasons this century. It was only a couple of years ago when it was the Raiders who were supposed to be the up and coming team and Derek Carr was supposed to be the next coming, then they went 6-10 and 4-12 the past two seasons. At least the Raiders earned their hype with a legit 12-4 season. The Browns were 7-9 last year.

Hey, quit shitting on their "on paper" championship. It's all they have.

I'm on the fence on this one. 

I think he still might be able to contribute in a standard 4-3 scheme, but our transition to 3-4 has me worried he might not be a fit for our defense. 

Seeing Buccs fans cry might be worth it though. 

Is that some post 6/1 money I hear 

If Gaulden and Elder can step up to lock down the other S and CB spots, omg

KK, Poe, McCoy, Love... Hell, cut Butler and free up 1.5M. Holy poo that would be an amazing DT group to make life easier for our edge rushers.

Oh. It moved a little.

34 minutes ago, Icege said:

Is that some post 6/1 money I hear 

If Gaulden and Elder can step up to lock down the other S and CB spots, omg

KK, Poe, McCoy, Love... Hell, cut Butler and free up 1.5M. Holy poo that would be an amazing DT group to make life easier for our edge rushers.

Oh. It moved a little.

Cutting Butler does not free up 1.5m.  It frees up $0,000,000.00.

McCoy might want to come here just to make the Bucs pay twice a year for cutting him!

7 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Exactly what he’s worth 

15 hours ago, bigpoppa said:

ew, ew, can I be the first to ask if he can play safety this time?

Son, we get McCoy and YOU could be playing safety in that back end and look like an all pro. 

7 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Oops, looked at the wrong column. We would have to trade him to open up the 1.5M... nm :(

Supposedly it was a mutual decision to part ways now that Tampa was switching to a 3-4. There is a chance McCoy doesn't want to be in a 3-4, which could make him pass on us regardless. Purely speculation but I have to assume it played some role in him being released at the time he did. 

I wonder if this is somewhat of a PR move. Many times you'll hear something along the lines of 'why didn't we even try to get" player X or player Y. With this report, Hurney can say we tried to get him, regardless of the actual chances of signing him, and deflect a little criticism. 

I can see why he'd want to test the waters on the Browns, they are the "it" team this offseason. But they are a 3 game losing streak away from completely unravelling. A team that has no winning pedigree that is supposed to suddenly turn everything around usually falls flat on their face. If he's in it for money, the Browns are a good choice. If he wants a guaranteed shot at winning, he should sign with the Patriots.

I'd like to get McCoy and tweak the DTs in 2020.  Butler will be gone and we save $7M on opting out the last year of Poe's deal.  Yeah, the cap will be tight this year, but with McCoy and KK as the starters in 2020 and back fill young talent to groom to eventually take over for them in the draft/FA., I think that would be the way to go.  There's no need to retain Poe and Butler beyond this season.  That being said, they probably ball this year knowing they are becoming expendable, especially if McCoy does sign here.