Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

KB_fan

Poll / Discussion: Does this data affect your interest in signing McCoy?

2020 Cap Needs & Interest in McCoy?  

64 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. The Panthers have the fewest players in the NFL under contract for 2020. Does that data affect your interest in the team signing McCoy?

• No - I'm still for signing him
    • No - I'm still against signing him
    • Yes - I wanted to sign him, but this gives me pause
    • Other (explain / discuss)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2019 at 12:00 AM

Hey all,

Some folks on Twitter are ramping up the talk that Panthers could be trying to sign Gerald McCoy.  Exciting prospect, right?  I wonder if this data affects your interest in McCoy.

According to Spotrac, the Panthers have the fewest players in the league signed for 2020.  Only 40 players under contract with a projected cap of about 38 million for next year.

654207201_Panthers2020ContractsCapSpace.PNG.1d77623ed89df5f173d30806cc7fdaaf.PNG

Does this information affect your interest in McCoy?  Vote / Discuss.  Thanks!

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

No. McCoy is 31. He would probably be a short term bandaid anyway. I would only want him on a short term contract or a contract that cpupd easily be gotten out from undwr after a year or two either way.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

No, I want McCoy. Don’t see it happening for a lot of reasons. I see it as a good thing not to have many under contract for 2020. At this point and time only Luke, CMC and Moore would be my prospects for justifying contracts into 2020. And that’s assuming Moore is proves his worth to be resigned, so really that’s 2 only players at this point. The rest are either ?  (Cam) or underperforming (KK). It’s set accordingly, this team may need to start over in 2020 and it’s a good thing we are strapped to that. But things will/can change by then as well; we will be able to sign what we need after we see how things unfold.

Edited by Lumps
  • Pie 1

I wonder if Tepper is preparing for a possible lockout by not having many players under contract.

I still want McCoy.

• Pie 2

Seeing that we having less players under contract and less cap space than several of the teams below us, that would be a reason to why spending a lot of money in one place would be a bad idea.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I wonder if Tepper is preparing for a possible lockout by not having many players under contract.

I still want McCoy.

Or keeping flexibility for a new GM and / or head coach.

Whatever the reason, the number of players we have on one year contracts or in contract years is a pretty interesting story line!

But certainly the looming CBA makes contract signings interesting.  I don't think Tepper has had too much impact on the existing contract end dates, but he surely will going forward.

Edited by KB_fan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I still want McCoy.

I don't really see how a potential lockout would affect anything regarding players under contract. Players don't get paid unless there are games so having more players under contract doesn't cost anything and having less doesn't save money. If anything it would be a negative since the lockout means we wouldn't be able to sign anyone during a lockout and once it ended we would be forced to scramble to fill out the roster.

• Pie 1

I was for signing him until I heard he wanted to go to a winner and create a bidding war.

Lets put it this way:

Id rather have a fewer players with acceptable contracts than have a bunch of guys loaded up long term with ridiculous contracts (example Matt Kalil) 

Im not so sure this is a bad statistic. Give us more cap room and flexibility IMO... bring back the guys worth it, let the guys not worth it walk, and bring in new guys who are worth it. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

It's the youth movement effort the league is going to. So far, the smart teams have been working that angle hard. 

2020 is a drop dead date for a lot of contracts and the CBA, so the two can go hand in hand. Some of the most vocal players in the NFLPA are aging vets who could be greatly impacted by a number of things, from cap space adjustments to vet minimum salaries. 

As to McCoy, I don't think any team is going to offer him more than a one year deal right now. There's just a lot of age to set against a lot of money. There have been some DTs that have played well into their 30s and were starting level talents. The operative word is "some." McCoy is at that part of a career where many find themselves out of a job because of diminishing capabilities, mounting injuries and big salaries. Giving more than a single year's commitment would be an unwise gamble against Father Time. 

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, Icege said:

I was for signing him until I heard he wanted to go to a winner and create a bidding war.

Sound like a smart man

• Pie 1

We also have Short and Poe under contract for $31m next year with a cap hit of only $7m if they get cut so if we don’t sign McCoy and rollover the $10m+ we could easily get $70m+ in cap space. We’ll need some DT/3-4DE beef, which is why I didn’t care for the trade up/Grier pick/Scarlett pick with Saunders and Omenihu among others as easy pickings.

Also, those numbers are a bit off as Little and Burns aren’t in the table yet and the same for the 2020 draft class. Remember that we truly only have 1 real FA from the 2016 that might be back (Bradberry) so it should be closer to 45-46 guys under real contracts and the rookie contract sizes won’t impact much. Kalil’s money will basically cover it. 

• Pie 2

Im all for signing him and going for it this year. Its a gamble for sure betting that cam is healthy. Lets shoot for the moon this year and hope everything aligns. If thats not the case then we're set up to rebuild. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

It's the youth movement effort the league is going to. So far, the smart teams have been working that angle hard. 

2020 is a drop dead date for a lot of contracts and the CBA, so the two can go hand in hand. Some of the most vocal players in the NFLPA are aging vets who could be greatly impacted by a number of things, from cap space adjustments to vet minimum salaries. 

As to McCoy, I don't think any team is going to offer him more than a one year deal right now. There's just a lot of age to set against a lot of money. There have been some DTs that have played well into their 30s and were starting level talents. The operative word is "some." McCoy is at that part of a career where many find themselves out of a job because of diminishing capabilities, mounting injuries and big salaries. Giving more than a single year's commitment would be an unwise gamble against Father Time. 

Except that none of your concerns are reality. He hasn't dropped off. He had 6 sacks as a DT on a poor defense in 2018. He will only do better here on a defense that is much stouter than Tampa.  He hasn't been injured often  and he isn't that expensive at 11 mil a year. You can give him a ten year contract as long as you manage the guaranteed money. Kalil's annual contract wasn't the problem, the guaranteed money which created dead cap money if we cut him was. McCoy will get a 3 year deal somewhere. Hopefully here.

• Beer 1