Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Jeremy Igo

Gerald McCoy visiting today!

2 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Also, imagining..

KK - Poe - McCoy

Burns - Thompson - Kuechly - Irvin

Line up.. I don't care who would be FS, those guys up front would get pressure consistently. 

I still want a saftey. Its been to damn long having that crutch.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

My gut tells me this is happening.  If Baltimore let him leave without a contract, big mistake and the Panthers will go all in on a two year deal.  Frankly, the Panthers will be in rebuild mode in two years anyway so go for it!!!

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I still want a saftey. Its been to damn long having that crutch.

And you'll get one, but you won't like who it is.  Panthers will bring in some vet role player and will hope someone on the team steps up and is starter material.  Reid was our big signing at safety and he was solid last year and that was basically going from his couch to starting in the  NFL and I think he'll be a much different player this year.   

13 minutes ago, jtm said:

My gut tells me this is happening.  If Baltimore let him leave without a contract, big mistake and the Panthers will go all in on a two year deal.  Frankly, the Panthers will be in rebuild mode in two years anyway so go for it!!!

Who do ypu think is getting released from that DL if the Panthers land McCoy?

Just now, Palmetto said:

No idea . . . maybe Butler or someone we don't care about?  I'll defer to some of the contract junkies we have on this site.  

It's rare for the Panthers to go after a big name like McCoy which tells me they have a plan to bring him on.  Plus, my guess is McCoy isn't happy about being let go from Tampa and would love to face them twice a year.

Just now, Palmetto said:

No one. Remember that “DT” now spreads to 2.5-3 spots on the DL assuming we play 3-4 50%+. Having Poe, Love, Short, McCoy and Butler is pretty reasonable.

I know how much people want to dump Butler but Love is getting older (could see him retire) and Poe and Short aren’t worth $31m in cap space next year. If we sign McCoy to 2-3 years we’d need a cheap backup and Butler would be that guy. We’d need a good starter and more depth but maybe Love, 2020 draft pick and a FA would do.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Palmetto said:

Cox or Efe? We have a surplus of DE/DTs.

Addison

Short

Poe

Butler

Love

Irvin

Burns

Cox

Obada

Haynes

Miller

Not to mention the other camp bodies.

6 minutes ago, Palmetto said:

Butler is definitely getting released. His legal troubles, combined with his lack of on field production (evidenced by being a healthy scratch at the end of last season) and not picking u his 5th year option already put him on the bubble to even make it through training camp.

Just now, hepcat said:

Butler is definitely getting released. His legal troubles, combined with his lack of on field production (evidenced by being a healthy scratch at the end of last season) and not picking u his 5th year option already put him on the bubble to even make it through training camp.

We don't have a lot of DTs. I think he stays but this is the last year.

• Pie 3

It’s been noted here that McCoy may not be a good fit in our 3-4. Would he only be inserted when we go 4-3?

1 minute ago, Dex said:

We don't have a lot of DTs. I think he stays but this is the last year.

I wouldn’t be so sure unless for some crazy reason we are willing to spend $31m in cap on Short and Poe. I could see extending Butler as a backup. People need to stop thinking about him as a starter. Look at him as depth and rotation and at a backup’s salary. There’s only 22 “starters” on the 53.

Just now, stbugs said:

I wouldn’t be so sure unless for some crazy reason we are willing to spend $31m in cap on Short and Poe. I could see extending Butler as a backup. People need to stop thinking about him as a starter. Look at him as depth and rotation and at a backup’s salary. There’s only 22 “starters” on the 53.

I'm more worried about his attitude.

3 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

It’s been noted here that McCoy may not be a good fit in our 3-4. Would he only be inserted when we go 4-3?

Same question could be asked about KK. Both are 3 techs. There isn't a giant learning curve going from 3-5.

9 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

This isn’t the old 2 gap 3-4 schemes. 3-4 in today’s world is still one gap penetrating DL.  Not much difference.  Both McCoy and KK would be fine 5 techs.  

• Pie 1