Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
thebigcat

Cam Newton is gonna get that bag

3 minutes ago, poorboysrev said:

One thing I would point out is that we are getting really close to new CBA renegotiation time. The players union is advising all the players to stack their money back and prepare for a hold out. All the non QB players and teams have reason to either figure out some kind of cap flexibility QB contracts or a luxury tax or something because it’ll only push non QB salaries down and since most of the players aren’t QBs I can’t see how they’re ok with that. Also they’ll be pushing for more guaranteed contracts...higher cap/share of the profits etc.

Main point being that everyone is making very premature assumptions about what we will or won’t be able to pay when cap could and probably will go up significantly or their could be major changes in the system. Kinda hard to have a serious debate over what we could/should/ or will be able to do when we get to Cam’s contract when a lot of the cap limits/rules  people are basing their arguments on are just about to change...and expire after the 2020 season.

Anywho..I don’t even care cause I fully believe we’re going to bust some ass this year..cheers

Agreed that it’s all very premature. I just find the notion that “we shouldn’t care what we’re paying these players because it’s not coming from our wallets” pretty ridiculous. These contracts have very real implications on our ability to field a competitive team, which is all we really care about.

3 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Well damn...if only you told us sooner that we weren’t personally paying for all these players’ contracts, you could’ve saved us so much distress with contracts like Matt Kalil that we were needlessly complaining about this whole time. But now you got me upset that stupid cheap-ass Tepper won’t sign all the FAs!! You’d think the richest owner could fork up some extra dough to monopolize all the top players. Wait, it doesn’t work that way? A...salary cap...? What’s that?

I’m all for paying Cam, but.......what?? I could get behind that logic if we’re talking coaches’ salaries.

Classic

6 hours ago, Cali_Panther said:

According to OverTheCap, there are 18 QB1s in the league that are not on their rookie deal. Cam is 16th in pay out of those 18 (as measured by average $/year).  Crazy to think 14 QB1s are on rookie deals. We got lucky that we signed him prior to ‘15 blowout year.

We have a $15mil discount vs the highest paid QB/year (Russell Wilson at $35mil).

At the time, his contract was 2nd or 3rd highest contract.  It just blew up after that, and now we are gona have to pony up.

With the franchise tag the Panthers realistically control Cam’s career for the next 4 years, two under contract and two tag years. That’ll be his age 34/35 season. Cam’s agent knows this and I’m sure they’ll settle on a deal that’s fair market value, like a 3 year extension for $90mil or something along those lines. 

All this talk is null and void if his shoulder isn’t right. I think if he doesn’t make it through the entire year “healthy” then management will be open to moving on.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, AndrewLaskoski said:

With the franchise tag the Panthers realistically control Cam’s career for the next 4 years, two under contract and two tag years. That’ll be his age 34/35 season. Cam’s agent knows this and I’m sure they’ll settle on a deal that’s fair market value, like a 3 year extension for $90mil or something along those lines. 

All this talk is null and void if his shoulder isn’t right. I think if he doesn’t make it through the entire year “healthy” then management will be open to moving on.

Most reasonable outlook on here. 

• Pie 2

I think Cam is like Rivera, Hurney and everyone else who is here. Tepper is focused on winning. Do that and you can stay and get paid. If not he will bring in folks who will. Most of the players and staff he didn't draft or hire so his loyalty is limited. Cam is no exception. 

If he was wanting to can Tomlin while at Pittsburgh he has no loyalty to the past simply the future. Like the Janet Jackson song, he ascribes to the theory of "what have you done for me lately".

Edited by panthers55
  • Beer 1

The league is just getting stupid with these QB contracts.  Good grief.  Carson Wentz has had one good year and he didn't even play the whole damned season.

11 hours ago, ncfan said:

Cam will get paid.  But its not going to be a insane deal.   He'll be 32 and the history of injuries.  He wont be getting the same deal as 26 year old Wentz

If im Dallas though right now, im cringing

Zeke's contract is coming up, so is Amari Cooper (both will be wanting top at their position money especially if Cooper has a solid season as expected)

2 of the 3 starting LBs Jaylon Smith and Sean Lee, their #1 CB in Byron Jones, starting DL Robert Quinn and Maliek Collins  are all FA next year

And now their QB is going to want to top Wentz deal.

While they have a TON of money tied into that OL and now DeMarcus Lawerence.

Dallas has tonwin this year because next year its going to be a FA nightmare for them

Damn, I didnt realize they are at risk of losing all that horsepower after next year.  There are quite a few of those guys who I would love to have on our team.

10 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

A cheap replacement? That’s your plan to replace a record setting once in a generation type quarterback? 

everyone wants cam to do well, everyone thinks if he plays really well we can win a sb.  but once in a generation type qb?  not even close.  he's not even close to being the best qb in the league.   this type of thinking is fanboy nonsense.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, thebigcat said:

Market rate is market rate

The real benchmark will be when Patrick Mahomes signs his extension.

Now go back to the Patriots forum that you crawled out of.

• Poo 1

Going to play Devil's advocate for a minute.   If Cam has a down year---another "middle of the pack" year stat wise, you can't pay him $35m because he's your favorite player.  There are several factors at play that are real reasons to reconsider a $150m deal at age 32.

Cam holds the ball too long, but that got better--still, the shorter time you spend in the pocket, the more accuracy becomes an issue over arm strength.  I will admit that holding the ball too long was probably due to his WR/TE corps.  Funchess, Benji, and Olsen are not exactly blazers, but they were running a lot of vertical routes.  yikes.

Cam has never had a good OL.  For some reason, we have felt that we can survive with no tackles.  Norwell was luck, but even then, they did not replace his talent level.   Combine a bad OL with a QB who holds the ball to long so that his slow WRs might get open running vertical routes.

Cam is part RB.  He has taken hits and the refs see him as a partial Rb, so he does not get the calls.  If Brees is hit running, there is a flag.  If Cam is hit running, the ref wonders if the defender is OK.  Now entering year 9, Cam's body is starting to show the signs.  Take away his run threat, and he will be blitzed more.  I wonder if Cam's body can take more. 

If we are starting to convert to a shorter passing game to skill players (WRs) and a hybrid rb that can make a small gain a long TD,  is Cam's skill set a good match?  Before, we won because Cam willed it--sacrificed his body and took those hits for the team.  As he ages, he will do the same thing--he is not converting to a screen-passing, dink and dunk QB.  Not in his DNA.

Enter Will Grier.  Yes, there is the chance that Cam is not ready and Grier is necessary, but what if they drafted Grier because their plans for the future do not include making a $150m gamble on an aging, battered QB who does not fit Norv's offense as well as a more accurate game manager.  Grier is known for his intelligence and ability to read quickly.  He has never been in one system long.  Is the plan to groom him for a year, see what they have, and make a decision when Cam's contract comes due? 

Maybe their is more to Grier than just a backup.   Maybe he is a negotiation chip.  Maybe he is insurance.  Maybe Norv likes him more than Cam--or will in a year.  Who knows? 

This is not my opinion--it is, however, exploring all options, and that is what anyone should do who understands the business of the NFL. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3

Never understood why anyone of a team want's to have "the highest paid X in the league" on their team.  It makes zero sense.

I'm really hoping that Cam's shoulder returns to form.  I'm really hoping that we can make a run at winning the division, and a deep run in the playoffs.  I'm hoping that we can win a Super Bowl during the Cam/Luke era of the Panthers.  I'm hoping that Cam signs an extension with us and is the starter for the next 5+ years.

But I, for 1, and not worried about Cam's next contract, and I hope he isn't either.  Get healthy, go win, and you will get paid.  Easy as that.

• Pie 1

LOL.  This thread reminds me of several years back after the lockout, when Hurney 1.0 was handing out wads of cash like crazy  Santa.  So many huddlers just loving every minute of those fat contracts to DeLo and Stew and Beason.  Then reality hit home the following year when we had no money to do jackshit in way of improving our other 50 players, and those same fools turned on Hurney for handing out those contracts.