Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Cary Kollins

But maybe Trump is better than Biden/Harris/Booker/insert Dem not named Bernie

If you don’t vote for the candidate running against Trump you are complicit in this poo.

I'm not convinced this country will elect a Democratic president again until the 2030s or 2040s, if at all.

The party is entirely too fractured and its election strategies are antiquated as hell. Republicans put party over country. Democrats who love Bernie won't vote for Biden, who love Biden won't vote for Harris, who love Booker won't vote for Mayor Pete or whatever else this 1984-esque cycle will crap out.

• Beer 1

nobody has argued that trump is better than biden. the argument is that biden won't make meaningful change from trump's policies while still being portrayed as far left, which will mean that the gop will bounce back with a tom cotton or someone even more fascist than trump. in the long run continuing to move to the right with democratic candidates is going to mean that instead of no toothbrushes at concentration camps, we're going to get full on death camps. voting for biden is agreeing to move the country more to the right toward these things instead of away from them.

• Pie 2

It is 100% NOT being complicit.

I could use your logic and saying that voting for any of those candidates you mentioned not named Sanders is being complicit. The end result will be the same.

Really, the only way to change things, at this point, is for Bernie to get the nomination and for him to win the election.

It'd be a small step, but a step in the correct direction.

Also, I don't think Bernie will get the nomination, so I'll just continue to watch the world burn. There is literally nothing else I can do at this point to:

1. Change fascists' minds.
2. Change the minds of those who will settle for whatever phony alternative they are offered, while claiming they're progressive.

as we sit back in our comfy homes and wait for the revolution brown children will continue to die at the border because ideals or something

slow clap

Edited by Cary Kollins

6 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

as we sit back in our comfy homes and wait for the revolution brown children will continue to die at the border because ideals or something

slow clap

You say this knowing that Biden or anyone else won't really change anything. Yet you'll vote for them over a third party candidate who would?

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, Bronn said:

You say this knowing that Biden or anyone else won't really change anything. Yet you'll vote for them over a third party candidate who would?

I agree with your sentiment but voting for a third candidate will result in 4 more years of insanity with Trump.  It sucks but it's the truth.

Its hard to go toe to toe with Trump because he is not a politician. He is or at least plays a "character" that his base love. The dems have a tough task finding someone to match that. If they think they can go the intellectual route they are in for a bad time, because facts or even logic won't deter him.

7 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

I agree with your sentiment but voting for a third candidate will result in 4 more years of insanity with Trump.  It sucks but it's the truth.

It sucks and is the truth because this is echoed in perpetuity.

If we remain so defeatist when approaching our two party system, then a third party will never be relevant.

Also, the two parties involved are basically the same thing now.

What needs the full reconciliation is the short to midterm harm of trump - immigrants, court shaping, ignoring of climate change, foreign policy adjustments to align with more bad actors, etc. to one that would set a true progressive movement back decades by saying return to the status quo is what the "left" has to offer.

I hope the primaries suss this out on the correct side of things.  I fear it will not.

3 minutes ago, Bronn said:

If we remain so defeatist when approaching our two party system, then a third party will never be relevant.

I think this is where the next decade of work needs to be focused.  A electorate vote spread can be done on a state level and not require a constitutional amendment. 

Basically each state provides a % of delegates based on the vote in that state.  For example Texas could go 60% trump 30% biden and 10% sanders. California may go 60% sanders, 10% biden and 30% and so on.  The delegates would be split up accordingly to vote.

This is how a third party brings relevance by controlling a good % of delegates.

13 minutes ago, Bronn said:

You say this thinking that Biden wouldn’t change anything. Who ever is the next president after trump will basically spend the next 4 years picking up and fixing the messes trump caused before they can even think about additional policy.

Thats IF the democrats can take the senate AND keep the house. All the policy “warriors” on here think that Bernie will save them alone. They have no regard that even if, let’s say Bernie gets elected. Without a unified congress, they won’t get anything they want.