Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Igo

Camp is around the corner. Talk to me about matchups

This that time of year that I ask all of you who you are most excited about or match ups you are interested in.

Brian Burns has had as little hype for a first round pick in recent memory. Not sure why, seems like an exciting player

2 offensive tackle spots for 3 players: a former all-pro, last year's breakout player, and this year's second round pick.

Getting this decision right may be he difference between the playoffs and a new coach coming in during the summer of 2020.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Little vs. Burns or Irvin.

WRs vs. CBs - how does Cockrell look after injury

Guards vs. McCoy and KK

Cam vs. shoulder

FS vs. ineptitude

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

40 minutes ago, Go DJ that's my DJ said:

Can ANYONE play FS?

And LG? We’ve talked a bunch about tackles and we have 3 competing but LG is still a big hole to be filled. Van Roten, like Clark, started off looking OK and then fell apart as the season went a long. He’s a backup. I don’t want Cam to get blasted by Donald week 1 because we didn’t find someone better at LG.

You know what I'm looking forward to?  All of the matchups.  We have good competition across the board, with the possible exception of FS.  What's even better is that the competition is both within each position / group and then offense vs defense.  We have a good offense, it's going to challenge our defense every day.  We have a good defense, it's going to challenge our offense every day.  Looking at our roster, we're going to have to let go of some NFL caliber players in cutdowns.  We're a good team on paper.  It's up to our coaches to turn that potential into performance.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Can Cam throw the deep ball. This is the storyline im waiting to see, and will answer many questions about how good our team is.

• Pie 7

47 minutes ago, stbugs said:

And LG? We’ve talked a bunch about tackles and we have 3 competing but LG is still a big hole to be filled. Van Roten, like Clark, started off looking OK and then fell apart as the season went a long. He’s a backup. I don’t want Cam to get blasted by Donald week 1 because we didn’t find someone better at LG.

I would figure the looser of the tackle position slides in, but I cant count on the rookie to step up, if healthy I know Daryl or Moton could do the job so its a tough decision.

Everything about the defense is going to be interesting.  How much do they flip btwn fronts, how do they line up in nickle, how do they use shaq, does Jackson make a leap in year 2, Bradberry in a contract year, can Burns contribute right away, that DLine tho... and Rons calling the plays from the hot seat. 

They need to defense to come together quickly.

1 hour ago, Go DJ that's my DJ said:

I would figure the looser of the tackle position slides in, but I cant count on the rookie to step up, if healthy I know Daryl or Moton could do the job so its a tough decision.

I’m hoping Little shows up and Williams mans the LG spot. I’d think the loser of the 3 has that spot and hopefully in an odd year we stay healthy because I don’t like our guard depth at all. Maybe the other rookie can compete as well. Either way, I still feel like it’s wide open now. 

Edited by stbugs

O line vs D line. With our D-line looking like a top 3 d line our o line along with the experience of the d line. Our oline should be ready for anybody. I just pray injuries dont plague us and health isnt a concern. Also, I want to see Moore go against Jackson. With the speed of Jackson, Moore will have to be alot more savvy (he already is) in his route running. Also, I want to see how this 3-4 defense is going to work. Im so accustom to the 4-3. Its definitely going to help against the slants and underneath passes to fill the gaps but I want to see how much pressure it will generate on the QB.

Chemistry in the secondary. I’ll be looking to see who’s directing traffic, and how cohesive they are in live action.

I want to see what Paradis can do on the line against multiple looks with remarkable personnel (99, 93. Etc). Line calls. Technique. I’m curious to see all of it.

I’m dying to see 26 on 12. Moore is so damn dynamic, and plays with a nasty streak. Jackson fits that bill too. 

• Pie 2

In the end I feel the OL shapes up as follows by the first quarter of the season...(barring health)

Little / Williams / Paradis / Turner / Moton.

Marty is on record as saying you don't want to move Moton from RT after how he played last year, Williams off a knee injury + his build + his run blocking / pass pro are even better fits at Guard. You don't pay him $6M to not start so he's going to be out there. 

I feel like the LT position is Little's to lose at this point we traded up in the 2nd round for what the GM / Coach referred to as a franchise LT, and considering the glaring hole there I don't see how we don't start Little there day one. We'll be able to run personnel / plays to help if / when needed, but in my opinion I think this will be our best 5. 

I think GVR / Larsen lead the depth with whoever else they have behind them. I don't think the OL competition is as interesting as some might boast outside of seeing them during the pre-season.