Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
LinvilleGorge

What is New Orleans thinking?

The city is currently flooding, the river is currently at +16 feet and most of the levees only protect to +21 feet. There's a massive storm coming in this weekend projected to hit as a category 1 hurricane and is predicted to bring 12+ inches of rain and 3-6 feet of storm surge and they're telling people to plan on sheltering in place. Uh... say what??? I'd be getting the hell out of dodge. I hope we kick their asses twice this upcoming season, but I hope they can weather this one. Forecasts have the river cresting too close for comfort to the top of those levees. What kind of plan is is to shelter in place with widespread serious flooding at best predicted and potential widespread catastrophic flooding not that far out of the realm of the projected forecast? I think they're getting bad advice.

Edited by LinvilleGorge

uh yeah...I was reading about it last night and wondered the same exact thing.  No way in hell I'd stay there this weekend.  

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

New Orleans was flooding before the storm even hit. It's going to be bad

My daughter was there on vacation with her mom and are headed home this morning. Wednesday morning they woke up to alarms and evacuation warnings on the loud speaker at their hotel. Lobby and streets were completely flooded, she sent me some wild videos. By noon the pumps had all the water cleared from the streets and the weather was good the rest of their stay. Just glad they are leaving. 

The day when no one can live there anymore is fast approaching.  It'll be underwater permanently soon.

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

The day when no one can live there anymore is fast approaching.  It'll be underwater permanently soon.

Not only are sea levels rising, but the city is actually sinking and the barrier islands throughout the delta that provide some protection from storm surge are disappearing due to the way canals have been built through them allowing more salt water to come in killing the vegetation that kept them from eroding away. It's a triple whammy.

Homeowners at Shell Island wanted the state to pay to fix the natural movement of the inlet. The state said that they knew it was inevitable, they had to put up their own money to fix it. Shell Island HOA had to pay Corp of Engineers to dredge it and add sand to the beach. It was close to falling into the ocean.

Make NO residents do the same.

Scroll to bottom of page

shellis-jpg.60824

mason-inlet_dsearls_flickr-jpg.60825

Edited by cookinbrak
  • Pie 1

below sea level is a great place to live? and then ask me to pay for your stupidity, and after Katrina? 

Edited by Jangler

On 7/11/2019 at 10:33 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

The city is currently flooding, the river is currently at +16 feet and most of the levees only protect to +21 feet. There's a massive storm coming in this weekend projected to hit as a category 1 hurricane and is predicted to bring 12+ inches of rain and 3-6 feet of storm surge and they're telling people to plan on sheltering in place. Uh... say what??? I'd be getting the hell out of dodge. I hope we kick their asses twice this upcoming season, but I hope they can weather this one. Forecasts have the river cresting too close for comfort to the top of those levees. What kind of plan is is to shelter in place with widespread serious flooding at best predicted and potential widespread catastrophic flooding not that far out of the realm of the projected forecast? I think they're getting bad advice.

Having spent almost 20 years of my life on the water, literally, I can attest to how powerful the ocean can be. That being said, why anyone would choose to live below sea level is beyond me.

• Pie 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:55 AM, cookinbrak said:

Homeowners at Shell Island wanted the state to pay to fix the natural movement of the inlet. The state said that they knew it was inevitable, they had to put up their own money to fix it. Shell Island HOA had to pay Corp of Engineers to dredge it and add sand to the beach. It was close to falling into the ocean.

Make NO residents do the same.

Scroll to bottom of page

shellis-jpg.60824

mason-inlet_dsearls_flickr-jpg.60825

Wish I had the cash to pick up a couple when it was "going to fall in any day now".  Sadly I didn't.