Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
panther4life

Any “ The Athletic “subscribers?

Jourdan Rodrigue just announced she joined the team. Looks like it’s $48 per year to join. So much free content out there, not sure if it’s worth the money. 

Does anyone on here subscribe? Any thoughts on it?

Edited by panther4life

10 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Jourdan Rodrigue just announced she joined the team. Looks like it’s $48 per year to join. So much free content out there, not sure if it’s worth the money. 

Does anyone on here subscribe? Any thoughts on it?

I DO NOT and I don't particularly see any reason to. I don't believe they provide exclusives that would warrant the subscription, based on how much access to the team is available for free. 

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

I do...best sports site on the web

After The Huddle of course

• Beer 1

Nope. Anything behind a pay wall will leak out to free sources virtually instantly. Sucks for those trying to make a living, but it's the truth.

I pay for it. Quality content and you can always find 40-50% off sub deals. Ends up literally costing less than the price of a cup of coffee per month.

I'm interested in seeing if the Athletic can turn a profit once their VC money runs out. I hope.it does, but my gut tells me it won't. People just won't pay to read in this day and age. 

• Pie 2

It's not worth it. Everything you read there you can find here, reddit or another news outlet. The only difference will be the perspective it's written from.

It’s a solid rotation of long-form reporting. If you’re into that sort of thing, it’s probably worth the investment. If you’re not, then it’s not.

It’s a dying breed, folks who will actually sit down and read that brand of reporting. That’s sad. Sign of the times. The vast majority of today’s sports fans are exclusively drinking a spewing stream of sewage from a firehose on Twitter. 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 4

They would have to go out and get ppl like brett kollman and gil brandt and devote a lot of resources to expert analysis video content for me to make that plunge. Hell, even long form articles dissecting X’s and O’s would be enough. I just dont care enough to read about what cam had for dinner. I want analytics.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

People just won't read in this day and age, let alone pay someone to provide the material.

FIFY