Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Sign in to follow this  
Paa Langfart

Eight big questions as NFL training camps open

piece in washpo - you can read about the other 7 questions there - heres a link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/17/nfl-training-camps-open-here-are-eight-big-questions/?utm_term=.7ef2fca66f49

What will a healthy Cam Newton mean for the Carolina Panthers?

It’s unlikely that Newton plays much in the preseason, but as he returns to the field following two shoulder surgeries over the past three seasons, he has to decide whether he’s ready to play a different type of football. The quarterback loves using his 6-foot-5, 245-pound frame to punish the opposing defense in the running game — he has averaged more than 100 rushing attempts per season — but he must avoid making contact so often if he is to stay healthy.

Last season, the extra contact caught up to him, and he could no longer throw deep. Newton is a career 60 percent passer, but he has the creative mind of offensive coordinator Norv Turner working for him, and if he’s healthy, Carolina could surprise in the NFC South.

45 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

he has averaged more than 100 rushing attempts per season — but he must avoid making contact so often if he is to stay healthy.

Last season, the extra contact caught up to him, and he could no longer throw deep.

Cam takes the most damaging/worrisome hits in the pocket when he's throwing the ball....I know, I know, its been said a lot and most of us on here know it, but it still surprises me that people write as if his rushing prowess is what screwed his shoulder up last year.  Even the way it's worded above alludes to/drives that narrative.  Oh well.

Edited by dpm0409
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

41 minutes ago, dpm0409 said:

Cam takes the most damaging/worrisome hits in the pocket when he's throwing the ball....I know, I know, its been said a lot and most of us on here know it, but it still surprises me that people write as if his rushing prowess is what screwed his shoulder up last year.  Even the way it's worded above alludes to/drives that narrative.  Oh well.

While I agree with you to an extent, the fact is that Cam is now a 30 year old QB coming off two shoulder surgeries.  For the sake of his own career longevity, he needs to minimize all hits.  Absolutely, pick your spots and remind the defense that this is CAM (*&@#$ing NEWTON you're trying to defend here.  Just do less of it and let DJ, Curtis, Greg, CMC, etc take some of that punishment.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, BrianS said:

While I agree with you to an extent, the fact is that Cam is now a 30 year old QB coming off two shoulder surgeries.  For the sake of his own career longevity, he needs to minimize all hits.  Absolutely, pick your spots and remind the defense that this is CAM (*&@#$ing NEWTON you're trying to defend here.  Just do less of it and let DJ, Curtis, Greg, CMC, etc take some of that punishment.

I agree. I know people love to blame the OL for all the hits, but that TJ Watt hit was easily avoidable. Watt blitzed instead of covering CMC in the flat. As soon as you see that, you dump it because CMC open on the flat has as much chance for a 1st as anything else. It’s not Shula anymore, he doesn’t have to win it all with deep throws. We fell behind and I think Cam fell back into the chunk plays. The more he trusts the weapons we have, the better off he’ll be. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

I agree. I know people love to blame the OL for all the hits, but that TJ Watt hit was easily avoidable. Watt blitzed instead of covering CMC in the flat. As soon as you see that, you dump it because CMC open on the flat has as much chance for a 1st as anything else. It’s not Shula anymore, he doesn’t have to win it all with deep throws. We fell behind and I think Cam fell back into the chunk plays. The more he trusts the weapons we have, the better off he’ll be. 

I don't think Cam saw that Watt was not covering McCaffery..dont know if he Nd Caffery was suppose to leak out or what but Cam never thought about watt

31 minutes ago, Darvinsun said:

I don't think Cam saw that Watt was not covering McCaffery..dont know if he Nd Caffery was suppose to leak out or what but Cam never thought about watt

His eyes were stuck downfield looking for a big play. Norv’s offense is definitely different from Shula in that regard so I think that play was Cam’s fault. He’s either got to know (like any option, if player X does Y then do A, if not do B) or he has to see Watt and avoid the hit. I remember the announcers mentioning that they were surprised he didn’t see Watt coming from his right, i.e. in his field of vision. He may have seen him and just been willing to take a hit for a completion. It was 100% illegal and the crown of his helmet but the ball should have just gone to CMC before Watt had a chance.

I think as Cam gets more comfortable with the new(and vastly improved) weapons he has he will realize that it doesn’t have to be him to get that short yardage 3rd down, there are other people capable of helping out now. 

Of course there should still be designed plays for him to run, if nothing else to keep the defense honest. There just doesn’t have to be as many.

On 7/17/2019 at 12:46 PM, dpm0409 said:

I see this thrown about a lot, but I'm not so sure I buy it outside of the Broncos games.

Concussion while running for a TD.  Shoulder injury while chasing down a pick.  Car wreck that broke his back.

The TJ Watt hit was avoidable, and while he was in the pocket, he had a wide open CMC.  I don't love it, and I know it's not Cam's game, but as he ages he's going to have to cover the ball and go down....the escape plays are awesome when they work, but Cam also takes a LOT of negative yards when getting sacked.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I see this thrown about a lot, but I'm not so sure I buy it outside of the Broncos games.

Concussion while running for a TD.  Shoulder injury while chasing down a pick.  Car wreck that broke his back.

The TJ Watt hit was avoidable, and while he was in the pocket, he had a wide open CMC.  I don't love it, and I know it's not Cam's game, but as he ages he's going to have to cover the ball and go down....the escape plays are awesome when they work, but Cam also takes a LOT of negative yards when getting sacked.

I hear ya, but the concussion while running for a TD was also avoidable if he was more aware, chasing down the pick wasn't a rushing attempt, and the car wreck wasn't on the football field. 

With that said, not arguing any of your points on Cam changing his habits as he gets older, I simply get tired of everyone who doesn't follow the Panthers closely blaming everything on the fact he runs.  Lazy writing rant more than anything really.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, dpm0409 said:

I hear ya, but the concussion while running for a TD was also avoidable if he was more aware, chasing down the pick wasn't a rushing attempt, and the car wreck wasn't on the football field. 

With that said, not arguing any of your points on Cam changing his habits as he gets older, I simply get tired of everyone who doesn't follow the Panthers closely blaming everything on the fact he runs.  Lazy writing rant more than anything really.

I'm just pointing out that the majority of Cam's injures have not happened in the pocket as many here like to say.

That hit by TJ wouldn't have phased Cam had his shoulder not been in bad shape before the hit.

I'm just praying for a healthy shoulder, we have a roster that looks to be a contender, if we can get our guy somewhat back to normal.

• Beer 1